Montgomery Ward

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Seestay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Montgomery Ward

Post by Seestay »

I’m outside Montgomery Ward looking to buy an ironing board. I didn’t know the store was here. I thought the stores were no more.

I go in. Everyone’s dressed in 1960’s clothing. I guess that style is coming back. Of all the decades, it had to be the 60’s? That’s whack.

I’m hungry so I have a tuna melt and a coffee inside the store restaurant. The waitress has a 60’s hairdo too. I finish eating, pay the check, and go looking for what I came for.

I’ve never been to Montgomery Ward before so I don’t know what aisle the ironing boards are. I see a teenage boy pushing a mop. I ask him where I can find the ironing boards. He leads me to the next aisle and helps me pick out the best style.

I head to the register to pay. The line is long. I overhear people talking about Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy. I think nothing much of it and continue to wait.

It’s my turn. The cashier looks like she’s out of the 1960’s too. She’s wearing cat eye glasses and a beehive hairdo.

She rings me up and tells me, “Have a nice day.” I tell her, “You too. I go outside to the corner to catch the bus home.

The next morning as I open the newspaper there’s a picture of a burned down building. It’s Montgomery Ward. The same store I was at the day before.

It’s the 50th anniversary of the Montgomery Ward Fire. I keep reading. There’s pictures of the victims. I saw them all in the store yesterday. I’m shocked and a little afraid as it sinks in that they were all ghosts.

Out of curiosity I open my linen closet. My ironing board has disappeared. It’s gone. Now I have to buy another one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

An interesting and fun read. Reminds me of The Twilight Zone.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Seestay

Post by Seestay »

Thank You.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”