Missed Connections: Train Station

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Icon Missed Connections: Train Station

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

A tribute to all the beautiful moments with stellar strangers.

I entered the crowded train station and looked around, hoping to find a familiar face of an old friend from somewhere but I couldn’t find any. Everyone was a stranger to me.

Disappointed, I made my way to the ticket booth. It was a long line, students and professionals just got out from school and work. This is going to be another bloody battle, I thought.

A cool gust of wind blew, with a little bit of rain water and I shivered as I embrace myself. I didn’t expect the heavy rain that afternoon so I wasn’t able to bring my jacket. Good thing I always bring my umbrella with me, but it wasn’t enough to shield me from the storm outside. Half of my body was wet. I am cold.

When I finally got inside the station, I searched for a place where I could compose myself. It’s quite hard, considering the number of people at that time. So I just settled in a corner where I could at least fix my hair and tried to dry my clothes. I’m starting to feel bad because of the cold feeling I am experiencing.

I was crying inside, I felt like a soaked ugly duckling. I had no friend to talked to about how I feel and it made me pity myself even more. Again, I embraced myself. I can feel little hairs, raising on my bare shoulders. I looked down. I felt so small and isolated.

Just then, a pair of shoes stopped in front of me. Is he an acquaintance? Did he recognize me from this crowd of people. I immediately looked up to see the face of the man who noticed my presence and I was surprised to see an unfamiliar face. He was a stranger. A good looking stranger.

His unzipped jersey let me took a glimpse of his uniform. It has a logo of one of the top universities in the country. Rich kid. I definitely don’t know this person, so why is he standing in front of me? I knot my forehead in confusion.

“Are you cold?” he said in a deep baritone voice. Very manly.

I gave him a small smile as I gently rub my shoulders, “I’m okay.”

There was no emotion on his handsome face, so I don’t know what he was thinking. Without saying a word, he took off his jersey and handed it to me. My jaw just literally dropped from shock.

“You can have it,” he said, emotionless.

“What? But…”

He didn’t let me finish my sentence. He put on the jacket on me himself. I couldn’t utter another word of protest.

We heard a whistle from a distance, indicating that the train was coming. Again, without saying a word, he grabbed my hand and led me through the crowd. He wound his arms around my shoulders and protected me from his co-strangers.

We heard a familiar buzzing sound, the doors were about to close. With a gentle push from him, I was able to land on the platform inside the train. I turned around and saw him just in time before the door closed. He was left behind with all the other unfortunate passengers who was not able to make it inside the train.

I can see him looking at me through the glass door. A sudden rush of sadness filled my heart. I was shocked to see him left behind the station.

He must have sensed my worries because a smile slowly curved his lips. It was the first expression I got from him ever since he appeared in front of me and offered me his jersey. His smile felt like a pat in the back, an assurance that everything was going to be fine.

I returned his smile with my most beautiful smile. I placed one hand on the glass door, as if wanting to touch him. In that one single moment, I felt that we have a connection. I felt that he was not just a stranger.

The train started to speed away and I lost sight of him in the crowd.

Still smiling, I pulled his jersey close to my face and smelled his scent. I can still feel a little warmth from the jersey. It’s as if he was there with me, embracing me.

Too bad I didn’t get his name, or his number. But I still have his jersey and even though I can’t remember his face clearly anymore, I’m sure if I happen to see him on the train station again, I’ll recognize him.

Because he’s not just a stranger anymore.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I like the idea behind this story very much. It reminds me of that old saying, Two ships that pass in the night. It is unlikely that they will ever meet again, but they lived a lifetime in those few moments.

Nice story! Thank you for sharing it with us!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I really loved this. It was upbeat but with an air of melancholy too - the combination worked well!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
TheRedQueen22

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

DATo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 19:15 I like the idea behind this story very much. It reminds me of that old saying, Two ships that pass in the night. It is unlikely that they will ever meet again, but they lived a lifetime in those few moments.

You're welcome. And thank you as well for the kind words. It was written in 2013, inspired by a real encounter by a friend. It was just a passing comment during one of our conversations but I guess that's when inspiration struck.
TheRedQueen22

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 04:20 I really loved this. It was upbeat but with an air of melancholy too - the combination worked well!
Thank you! Honestly, I have almost close to none experience with writing, so I'm just taking my shot and trying my best to convey my thoughts into words.
DATo

Post by DATo »

TheRedQueen22 wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 05:19
DATo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 19:15 I like the idea behind this story very much. It reminds me of that old saying, Two ships that pass in the night. It is unlikely that they will ever meet again, but they lived a lifetime in those few moments.

You're welcome. And thank you as well for the kind words. It was written in 2013, inspired by a real encounter by a friend. It was just a passing comment during one of our conversations but I guess that's when inspiration struck.
The fact that it was a true story makes it even more interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

Some time ago I also wrote a "Two ships that pass in the night" story, and it was also true. If you'd like to read it I will post the link below. There are two stories in that post. The one I am referring to, which is a little bit similar to yours, is called The Kiss.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=30478&p=498172

I hope you like it. I would have sent this to you in a PM but since you are new here I don't know if your PMs are working yet.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
TheRedQueen22

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

DATo wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 07:58
TheRedQueen22 wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 05:19

The fact that it was a true story makes it even more interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

Some time ago I also wrote a "Two ships that pass in the night" story, and it was also true. If you'd like to read it I will post the link below. There are two stories in that post. The one I am referring to, which is a little bit similar to yours, is called The Kiss.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=30478&p=498172

I hope you like it. I would have sent this to you in a PM but since you are new here I don't know if your PMs are working yet.
Thanks! Will surely check it out. :)
Ivsong

Post by Ivsong »

That was a great story. I felt d emotion that goes with it. Thanks
Ricreads2
Currently Reading:

Post by Ricreads2 »

This is a lovely story and I really enjoyed it. It's quick and to the point and sets the tone/emotion in an effortless way. Thank you for sharing and keep on writing!

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”