Elara Locke

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
AngMS
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angms.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Elara Locke

Post by AngMS »

He was handsome. The beauty that you could get lost in. The beauty that tricked me. He had bottle green eyes, so mesmerizing. I wanted to shatter them like glass. His skin was a mocha brown. It shocked you when you touched it and not in a good way. He was kind. He was inconsiderate. I wanted to be with him every minute. I couldn't stand to look at his face. I wanted to learn everything I possibly could about him. I wish I never met him. Ash, just like his name implies he burned my world to the ground.

It was a bright autumn day. Leaves scattered the ground. The air was fresh and I welcomed the feel of it against my face. I had ran a full mile at the most and I was already out of breath so I stopped at a bench and breathed in really deep and sat down.

“Oh goodness!” I shot up. I felt my face become extremely hot when I made eye contact with a guy that I had practically sat on. How did I miss him sitting there. I swear there couldn't have been anyone there. Woah. Those eyes. The prettiest shade of green I had ever seen. He smiled. I must be melting.

I pinched myself. Stop swooning. I thought. As if he could hear my thoughts he laughed a soft deep heart-warming laughter.

“Ma’am this seat is taken. Although the seat next to it is open.” He patted the spot next to him. I wasn't set on the idea of sitting that close so I gave him a tight lipped smile and sat a small distance away.

“Sorry about that. I didn't see you there.” I bit my lip, hesitant. He extended his hand “Asher Kilp, you can call me Ash.” I shook his hand. “Elara Locke.” He let go.

“So what brings you out here? I haven't seen you around before. Then again I don't leave my house much.” I laughed because he honestly described me in a nutshell, a homebody. He quirked an eyebrow.

“I'm sorry you just sound like me. I just love the comfort of my home. I've only lived in Char about six months but I do love it here. As for why I'm outdoors instead of in my house I was trying exercise but my body is not having it.” He chuckled which made me laugh. He sounded like a hyperventilating cow. I could get used to it.

There was a moment of awkward silence which I interrupted, “Hey I'm going to go. It was nice to meet you Ash.” “You too Elara” he winked.

I took off running not for exercise this time but to get away yet he wouldn't leave my mind. His skin, his eyes, the squareness of his jaw and his hair, black, cut into a mid fade. He was wearing a red plaid shirt with skinny jeans. He was rocking the look. I'm falling head over heels.

I arrived at my house just in time to see Essie knocking on my door. Her long dark auburn hair braided into pigtails. She wore a plain white t shirt that was tucked into her brown suede skirt and sneakers, bright red, they didn't match but she wore them everywhere she went.

“Essie!” I joyfully screamed as I ran up my steps and threw my arms around her. She giggled as her arms squeezed around me tightly.

“It's been forever. I missed you El.” She pouted to emphasize her words and then her lips quickly turned back into the sweet smile I hadn't seen in so long.

“Come in, come in!” I grabbed her hand and barged in through my door. I pulled her to the couch and we both plopped down on it's white exterior. “How long are you planning to stay?” I asked hesitantly. She shot me a pitiful tight lipped smile.

“How long would you be willing to have...?” Her voice trailed off and she looked down as a single tear slid down her cheek.

I placed my hand on her knee. I wanted to tell her it will be okay, that she could stay with me as long as she liked. That was not the truth though. If she stayed with me she would find out and then I would have to kill her.

“After all you did for me in high school I would never be able to turn you away.” At least that was true. She met my eyes and began to sob. “Thank you so much. I just.. I.. Oh thank you!” She wrapped me into another hug, this one different from the last. It was a familiar hug, a hug that reminded me of a home I once knew.

Get a grip on yourself Elara. My mind warned me about feeling too much. Feeling meant caring and caring meant I couldn't do my job. I chose not to feel. It's simple, honestly, you pretend like life is a video game with no consequences. I feel bad for what I do, but I do it because it is right.

I grabbed Essie's bags and hauled them up the stairs to the spare bedroom. I flipped on the lights and set her bags down by the dresser. “Feel free to unpack and make yourself comfortable.” I added when she moved into the room. I glanced around one last time before shutting the door and heading down the hall to my room.

I collected my notebooks off the desk and formed them in a very neat pile before shoving them in my backpack. I looked up in time to see a dirt smudge on my sparkling white room. Why was there a dirt smudge? I literally scrubbed my wall yesterday. Ugh! I went into my bathroom and turned on my faucet and began to fill a bucket I kept there for a crisis such as this. There's nothing I hate more than dirt on my walls. Dirt can be on the floor, that's fine. On my shoes, I don't care. Completely covering every inch of Car, I can handle that. My walls? Oh no. My beautiful white walls? I can't deal.

I began to scrub the dirt off my walls with a wash rag and soon enough I was scrubbing every inch of every wall in my room so they would have the same amount of cleaning. When I had finished I dropped the rag into the bucket and walked it back to the bathroom.

I stared at myself in the mirror. I looked different. In high school I was told I looked punk with my electric blue hair, my septum and bridge piercing, and my all black clothing. Now I look normal. No one ever suspects me. I view myself as normal, I'm just a hero. I kept looking over myself and remembering my old self when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

“El? Are you in there?” Essie. I thought. “Yeah come in!” The door creaked as she opened it. I did that purposely. I loosened the hinges so that the metal pieces slide over one another creating a squeaky sound in order to alert me if someone were to walk in. The windows are glued shut, the only way to get in through them is by breaking them and I'll definitely hear that. This is how I protect myself from harm. The only way that I can sleep calmly at night.

“I was wondering if you may have wanted to go get a coffee and Backers and catch up?” Backers was our local coffee shop but they served ice cream as well. It was a mix between two of my favorite things.

“I would love it, just let me..” I spun around and grabbed by bag. It was a black saddle bag and it was my favorite out of the ten that I owned. I also grabbed my black backpack and I began to walk towards her as she moved out of the door frame to let me go first. I turned off my lights and made my way down the stairs.

Once we arrived at Backers I spotted a familiar face. I made my way to the counter with Essie on my tail. I slammed a five dollar bill down in front of him.

“I would like an espresso macchiato.” He punched it into the cash register. He was still wearing the same outfit as earlier which surprised me because I thought Backers had an all black dress code except for the white aprons they were forced to wear but it wasn't my place to question it.

“That will be $3.21” As he said this he looked up. “Oh hey!” He exclaimed. “You're the girl who sat on me!” My face turned a bright red once more and I let out a nervous laughter. “Don't fret.” He said waving it off. “I won't sue.” He held him hands up defensively, “I promise.”

“Well thank you.” I bit my lip again. I tend to when I'm nervous. He stared a few moments longer before he yelled my order with his eyes never leaving mine. I felt an arm interlock mine and turned to see Essie.

“You didn't tell me you were with such a handsome man.” She flirtatiously said to Ash. Why did that make me mad. I didn't even know him. “We are not together. I just met him this morning Essie.” I stated.

“Perfect.” The words came out of her mouth so quiet I almost didn't catch it but I felt my face heat up out of rage at this remark. I definitely did not want her staying with me now.

“Actually,” Ash’s voice interrupted my thoughts. He leaned over the counter. “I was wondering if Ms.Locke would be so kindly to accept an offer to maybe.. go on a date with me?”

At this I heard Essie squeal from excitement and I froze. I can like him but I can't date him. Feelings are a bad thing to have. My heart sank and I knew I couldn't say yes, but I really didn't want to say no so I turned and I ran out of Backers without my order or my change.

I realized I had done a lot of running today and mentally high-fived myself. I ran about a block before stopping in the alleyway between two run down stores. I felt around on the bricks before finding the loose brick and pulling it. The wall swung open and I walked in.

I am a vigilante. I am a hero. You see, they are not my victims, they are my victories and I'm saving this world one victory at a time. They will all thank me one day. For now though it was time to prepare for my next victory. Mrs.Gill, Zoie Gill.

Writers note: I am coming close to the ending of the 1st chapter, in the comments let me know if I should continue writing this story or give it up! And if I should tell me what to work on to make it better!! Thanks for your honest feedback!!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”