A Spider’s Tale

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
NewWriter7
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 2

A Spider’s Tale

Post by NewWriter7 »

*hiss*

*hissssss*

That was the only thing that any of us could hear. The hissing of our own siblings as we tried to move around in our tight little space. Short, hairy legs came into contact with round Furry bodies. Fights broke out over Territory and even more hissing would ensue if a late comer were to hatch. In the midst of it was me. Having hatched early on, I already had my own small piece of Territory. It wasn't much, but all any of us could manage in this cramped environment.

It wouldn't last for long though. No, the older ones were far too impatient. Far too curious. With a loud hiss, they tore an opening and scrambled out. Eventually, all of my siblings followed their lead and fled our former home. Including myself.  While trampling over some of  my smaller siblings, I reached the opening and emerged into a whole new world, filled with light and lots of legroom. I felt a sense of adrenaline run through me as I touched the new ground. It was a beautiful world.

Beautiful, but dangerous.

The fact that we were out in the open proved to be a disadvantage for us. Anything could come and pick us up. But we were young and naive to how this new world worked. We didn't know about any other creatures except for ourselves. That was why so many of us were picked off.

It came very suddenly. Faster than any of my siblings or I had run before. We had absolutely no warning. A big shadow loomed over us, and pretty soon a creature with large pincers landed on the ground in front of us, picking up one of our older siblings in it's mouth. We wasted no time in trying to escape. I tried to get away from the horrifying creature by running up a tall, rugged looking thing. I was then stopped by another, larger looking one. Before I could escape yet again, it swiftly grabbed me in it's pincers. Whatever it was doing, it was painful. I felt as if my body were being crushed. Harder, harder, harder......

Crunch
Maroosh
Currently Reading: Kidnapped
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroosh.html
Latest Review: Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

Post by Maroosh »

OMG, this is great. A refreshing idea. You had me at the end. RIP, spider :(
Retiredragon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Retiredragon »

In graduate school I raised Black Widow spiders. They would hatch by the thousands in my Mason Jar nursery. The first thing I noticed as they emerged from the egg sacs was that they immediately ate each other until only a few dozen were left. Aside from that technicality I loved the frame of reference idea.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”