The Proof

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

The Proof

Post by Butch Acuna »

The Proof
Joyce and Janine are best friends, they are always together whenever possible, except for three years since they were both 19 years old, that's when Joyce lived-in with her boyfriend, Nathan, and bore two children both boys who were almost a copy of their father.
Just six months since her return to the entertainment industry, Joyce has regained her status as a fast rising TV talent, she was fully satisfied with her current status. Except for one thing, she has an axe to grind against Janine, whom she suspect as the one responsible for circulating a gossip that she lived-in with a drug user and bore two child, as a rule such information are kept secret in order to protect their sweet image, today she has decided to grind the axe.
Using her acting talent to the fullest extent, she flashed her usual sweet smile and held Janine's hand while saying " let us leave our cars at compound, I have a surprise for you " They went out of the TV station compound and hailed a taxi, ordering the driver to take them to an sparsely populated area. " What are we waiting for?" Janine queried as they stand by the side of a highway again, Joyce flashed her fake smile and said " Don't worry, Nathan is coming for us, he is with two other friends who want to meet with you. " Without any hint of suspicion Janine nodded in approval.
Indeed, Nathan is coming with two of his trusted men, they are engaged in kidnapping for ransom to finance their habit, illegal drugs, gambling alcohol and women.This is not the first time that they are doing this, " We have done it before " Nathan told Joyce.
The black car with tinted glass, suddenly stopped at the front of Joyce and Janine, but instead of two gentlemen that Janine is expecting, two of the most fearful malefactors that she has meet, one with the scar of a hack wound across his face and the other with red blood eyes alighted from the car and immediately approached Janine and tightly held her hands, with a terrified look in her eyes Janine looked at Joyce awaiting her intercession, but Joyce said nothing and did nothing, she merely watched with no reaction as her best friend was dragged into the car, as the car sped away, Joyce noted that some people are watching, her acting talent automatically returned. She waved her hands and shouted " Help us, please help us " no one came to help her, After a few minutes Joyce decided to leave, as she did so a police patrol with blinking light appeared along the highway, which Joyce hailed.
A police officer alighted and walked towards Joyce, whose acting talent was automatically activated, tears flowed from her eyes as she pled for help, " Please help my friend, she was abducted by two men in a black car, they went that way." She was pointing towards south, instead of north where the black car actually went.
At the police station, Joyce was unable to give any useful information to police investigators, as reporters assigned to police beat arrived, Joyce turned up her acting ability, the reporters took her picture when they realized that the abducted victim is a talent of the largest broadcast network in the country.
Janine was brought by Nathan and his cohorts to a Muslim area south of the city, where the rule is do not tell anyone whatever you have seen or heard. Nathan was the first to rape her, as the third man took his turn to collect his " collateral benefit " every time they kidnap a woman for execution, Nathan drove away to a fast food outlet where he ordered four large hamburgers and drinks. As Nathan was about to go he was handed a form by the cashier, " please sign here " she told Nathan, Nathan whose mind is busy on how to dispose a dead body complied without question.
Nathan, gave a large paper bag to Janine, " Get dressed, you are going home." Again, they took Janine to a secluded place, Nathan told her to alight from car and wait for a taxi. As Janine was stepping out, Nathan shot her at the back of her head. At her last moment at the group's hideout, Janine did something that she knows will bring her justice, she put something in her back pocket.
The abduction and murder story was the top news at the early morning news of all TV and radio stations, newspapers bannered the news on it's evening edition. Early in the morning, Joyce went to the residence of Nathan in a nearby province, after talking in private for about an hour, they decided to catch some sleep within two hours they were awakened by the loud sound of the breaking the doo with a ramming device. More than twenty policemen have surrounded Nathan's residence, they wore full battle gears, bulletproof vests, helmets and Uzi assault rifles with telescopic sights.
" Just like in the movies, "Janine thought, TV cameras did appear preceded by powerful klieg lights and the news personnel of her own station and all other major TV and radio stations appeared and took video shots.
After undergoing the usual police procedures regarding criminal investigation, and with the arrival of their lawyers, Joyce and Nathan, and last were able to confront the police investigators.
" Do you have any evidence linking us to any crime ?" Nathan asked.
The police investigator, brought out a plastic envelope.
" We found this in the pocket of Janine, receipt of hamburgers you bought last night, it has your fingerprints, and you signed a raffle entry ticket at the counter, we also retrieved a CCTV footage showing you while paying for the hamburgers. "
The investigator, took out one of the piece of papers and showed Nathan his signature at the lower right side, also printed at the portion are;
PROOF OF PURCHASE
CHRISTMAS RAFFLE BONANZA
First prize - One House and Lot
" This is our proof, and you won a lifetime free accommodation at the National Penitentiary."
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Good story. It seems written for a TV series. One thing though, the way you write, you must make paragraph breaks. Overall, your story has substance and a good plot. Thanks for sharing.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Short but complete story. I like the humour in the last sentence of the story. Great title, great theme. It shows one can never be smart enough to escape being punished for his/her bad deed.

You should space your paragraphs and '"Just like in the movies, "Janine thought' Was it Joyce? I thought Janine was dead already.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

Thank you for your observation, I wrote it " in promptu " hoping for a quick eyed reader like you for final editing, it was based on a real life, high profile case that was solved by police within hours, a rare feat attained through a receipt. Thanks again.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

You're welcome Butch. Keep writing 😊👍
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I enjoyed the story. The pace was good and exciting. I wish there were paragraph breaks however.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”