Ants: A Letter to the Landlord

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Ants: A Letter to the Landlord

Post by Zupanatural »

Dear sir,

I write to you as a tenant and a human being. I live by myself in an insignificant little flat of yours (although it is dear to me) on Ulica Jana Kasprowicza and I think you will easily identify me for I have paid my rent punctually on the 5th of the month for 7 years now.

Let me begin by saying how wonderful this little apartment, for which I pay such a paltry amount, is. Yes, the delightful odour which emanates from the fishmonger's below took some getting used to and yes, the quirky behaviour of the plumbing has affected a certain change in my day-to-day lifestyle (I write to you as a man 4 days unwashed) but really, I could not ask for more.

Anyway, to the matter in hand - ants. This morning, as I crossed the excellent and not-at-all splintery floorboards which have lasted so long here, I was accosted (this may seem somewhat dramatised but I assure you of it) by a column of tiny red ants marching straight for me. Yes, they have started to pour in and, despite my protestations regarding the legal number of occupants, refuse to stop.

Now if my little visitors were content to merely make a brief circuit and pass out again, I could hardly complain (we Polish are, after all, known for our hospitality, are we not?), but sadly this does not seem to be their design. No, they give the distinct impression of settling in for an altogether longer duration and, what is more, they treat me with alarming ease.

Sauntering across the room, they mounted the table by the good leg and I had not turned my back on them for five minutes when they set upon my cucumber, sitting out innocently in anticipation of being my breakfast, and in no small matter of time made it completely unfit for usage. Please imagine my devastation at that if you will.

Having contented themselves on that front, the ringleaders then directed the procession floorwards via my chair, rather rudely refusing to share it with me. I can say this with some confidence because, when I attempted to perch myself on the corner to begin this letter, they became rather irate and insisted that I vacate forthwith.

However, the worst is yet to come and, as I come to the real crux of this letter, I ask you to brace yourself. The next target was my fruit bowl (unusually well-stocked today) but, alas, my wallet happened to be just in front and they thought nothing of laying their route straight over the top of it. It is therefore, as with my only chair, somewhat out of bounds.

As it is now the 5th of the month and I have no wish to default for the first time in 7 years, I feel a little sheepish for asking but perhaps you could send someone round to assist in the liberation of my wallet?

Yours sincerely,

Aleksander K.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

A nicely humorous way to begin my Saturday. Thanks so much for sharing!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Zupanatural

Post by Zupanatural »

Cheers DATo, glad you enjoyed it & I hope the rest of your Saturday is going well :)
Diana Welch

Post by Diana Welch »

What a humorous letter but straight to the point which I like. ;)
Zupanatural

Post by Zupanatural »

Diana Welch wrote:What a humorous letter but straight to the point which I like. ;)
Thanks Diana and yep, nothing beats a good letter to get the point across... :mrgreen2:
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Good share
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Atobrah Frank
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Atobrah Frank »

The landlord has no other option than to find someone to assist you. Nice letter.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love this! Slightly snarky (subtle jabs at the smell from downstairs), clever, imaginative. Nicely done! You captured my attention and kept it all the way through and even surprised me a little with your ending!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Wha someone needs an army to liberate the wallet. A great story.
I think I have seen some grammar and spelling issues which could be taken care of.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
jessylukas

Post by jessylukas »

i love the humor .its wonderful,point made across
sharklet

Post by sharklet »

Look here Sir,

I know that you have paid your rent on time for the lat few years, but really, a landlord can only be expected to do so much. I suggest that to deal with this ant problem you should visit a hardware store and buy some insecticide. I'm glad that you are enjoyin living in your handy apartment and thanks for letting me know about the ants. I'm happy if you would like to deduct the cost of buying that bug spray from your rent, as long as you can provide me with a receipt.
However, I do admit to having some concerns that there may be an ants' nest beneath your floorboards and I appreciate that further investigation is therefore required, so I'm going to propose that I send my handywoman around to have a look and hopefully she can sort it out for you.
Soopeira is really great at locating nests, though sometimes her treatment can be prolonged, and it may involve several operations to remove the nest.
So, can you please let me know when would be a suitable time for her to visit your flat , so that I can ask her to call on your and get the damn job started.

Yours sincerely,
Nava Rachman (esq) :)
Olublitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olublitz.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Olublitz »

An interesting story
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Nicely written and very humorous! Thanks for putting a smile on my face :D
Chiffoe

Post by Chiffoe »

Humorous gang. Both the tenant here and the landlord. Nice composition without beating about the bush. I love ants, they're the real landlords...

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”