Nature's Justice

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Nature's Justice

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

A family in a tiny remote village in Kenya lost their loved one . They proceeded to the mortuary to claim the body. But once they got to the mortuary they were shocked to realise that another family had claimed the body as their own and proceded with the funeral arrangements .
The bereaved family began the very tedious, long process of searching for the missing body of their loved one.
After several months they were able to identify the family that had mistakenly claimed the body of their loved one.
It was a family that resided many miles away from their home, a village in eastern Kenya.
The former family got a court order to exhume the body. Since this was not going to be something that the latter family would accept, without putting up a fight so the bereaved family needed the police force to accompany them to restrain the nterruption of this process as had been forseen.
they proceeded to Eastern Kenya to exhume the body as security agents promised to catch up with them en route.
The exhumation would take place in the late evening.
In this village word went round about the unfolding phenomenal. The family, relatives and villagers from this village would have none of that and they armed themselves to prevent the exhumation process from happening .
And so with pangas ,rungus, spears armed to the teeth the family , relatives and villagers from the marched to the burial site . A battle was brewing and security agents were nowhere in sight.As the angry family and villages matched forward seething, hissing, swearing determined to halt the exhumation process at whatever cost, a herd of gentle giants , trumpeting, thumping, flapping the ears, one on one was invading their farms and rummaging their crops.
This news stooped them dead in the tracks as they found themselves in a dilemma.

"Should we go and disrupt the exhumation process or should we chase away the herd of elephants?" They rationalised and debated among themselves considering all the ramifications of the possible courses of action.
They decided to chase away the gentle gaints then return to disrupt the exhumation process after that.
So quickly they went back to their homes dropped their weapons , picked up pots , pans , spoons and other cooking and gardening paraphernalia. Making deafening sounds and noises banging their utensils , chanting popular village rhymes they began to chase the herd of elephants.
The bereaved family was by this time able to exhume the body of their loved one as t
After a while the exhumation was over and they were safely on their journey back to home.
The herd of elephants kept the family, relatives and villagers from the Eastern location busy with a cat and mouse chase by the time they were through it was too late to disrupt the exhumation process.

When man's justice fails, nature may intervene and rule in your favour
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

Although a lot of your story reads like a newspaper report, especially at the start, it's an interesting tale & one that gave me some small insight into a completely foreign culture/way of life. Thanks for sharing it :)
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Gikonyo Caroline

Thank you for reading it and for your feedback.
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

I like the dilemma presented in this book. You've done a good job with the review.
Gikonyo Caroline

Thank you Njengnjoro for your feedback, very uplifting and encouraging! Thankyou
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

This is a very interesting story which is totally believable. I wonder if it is perhaps based upon a true story. I also enjoyed the moral at the end. I wonder if at times nature does intervene to balance injustices. We are usually inclined to consider these things simply coincidences .... but I still wonder.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”