The Legend of Nwankwo by Nwoko Solomon Ikechukwu

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

The Legend of Nwankwo by Nwoko Solomon Ikechukwu

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

THE LEGEND OF NWANKWO THE OGBUAGU (Lion Killer) ONE OF UMUHUTE COMMUNITY. Story from the book titled "The Diamond of Life by Nwoko Solomon Ikechukwu
Copyright © 2015
Pastor, Nwoko S. Ikechukwu

Long time ago, there was a legend in Umuhute community in Ndume Ibeku, Abia State, Nigeria of Nwankwo who was a hunter and a palm wine taper.

Nwankwo was born in a very poor family that lived from hand to mouth. In fact, it was said that their lineage had been known as poor and very wretched people. However, the immediate father of Nwankwo was a great hunter who knew by learning from nature, different ways and methods of shooting at animals. He was to have the position of supplying wild meats to the king of the community in his time, but because of people envious nature, they deprived him such opportunity by lying to the king against him which made the king to choose a lesser hunter to him to be supplying meat to King. As a result of that, Nwankwos father could not raise enough money to buy bullet to enable him go for more hunting, make money enough to take care of his family let along relatives.

Though he had no bullet, he did not die with his knowledge, he taught his son Nwankwo how to understanding nature and how to study every animal. Nwankwo on the other hand learnt this diligently from his father and became a very good hunter. Since he has no money to buy bullet, he however determine not to give up like his father, but resolved to start taping palm wine for people in order to raise money to purchase bullet.

A time came when the king of the days of Nwankwos father died, and the son of the late king became the next and current king of Umuhute community. The present king decided to decorate the coffin of his late father the late king of Umuhute community with a lions skin and bury him with a lions head. He then sent for all the great warriors, magicians and hunters in the community through the town crier. When they gathered in his palace, he said to them,
The king, our king and my father is died. He has gone to be with our ancestors and as we all know, he was a great king who ruled his people well. He loved his people and never denied justices from anybody. Time will fail me and the painful agony in my soul will not allow me to enumerate all his goodness, love and great achievements. But I have one request to make of my great warriors, magicians and hunters. I must bury my father the great king with the head of a real lion and decorate his coffin with the skin of a real lion. Hence, whosoever that will bring me a lion will have half of my kingdom and will always with his family and relatives if he wants feed with me on my royal table. From now till seven eke market (7 weeks from when he made the request) days, whoever that meet my need shall be great, rich and celebrated in this community. The king promised.

It was indeed a great opportunity to the warriors, magicians and hunters of Umuhute community, however, they cannot dispute the fact that the king was asking for not just difficult task, but an impossible task. That notwithstanding, they still decided to make effort. To Nwankwo, this was the greatest opportunity of his life that he cannot miss; he resolved to join in the quest of bringing a lion to the young king and to liberate himself, his family and relatives from poverty. Though he had this ambition, but he was faced with a serious challenge, he had only one bullet left for him and there was no palm wine to tap in order to raise money to buy more bullets. Since the day for the adventure has come, no one agreed to lend him bullet and since he had no money to buy bullet either, he decided to go into the forest with one bullet.

There was a forest little bit far from Umuhute community called Evil Forest, people were forbidden to enter into the forest. But the brave and courageous Nwankwo decided to separate himself from others who were looking and hoping to find lion in the normal forest in the community and rather decided to take the part of the evil forest in search of lion with one bullet. About an hour he stepped into the evil forest, he came face to face with a hungry and angry lioness having only one bullet. As the lioness made a speedious move towards him, he remembered what his late father taught him on how and where to aim and shoot every animal. Nwankwo aimed at the lioness in-between its two eyes and as the lioness came closer, Nwankwo released the bullet. Immediately, the bullet caught the lioness exactly where Nwankwo wanted it and the lioness froze, fell down and died. Nwankwo was very happy, but he never knew that the battle had just begun. Other lionesses above twenty in number came out and surrounded him, he became confused and afraid. As they came closer, Nwankwo removed his hunting bag and wave it round with a great speed and noise was created which scared away the lionesses. However, it was just for a little moment after which the lionesses will determine and come back again. He continued doing that until he was exhausted, yet the lionesses will still come again. Finally, Nwankwo remember a story told to him by his father and other elders when he was still a boy that lions do not eat any dead thing they did not kill by themselves. Nwankwo decided to take the last but the most dangerous and bravery risk. He fell before the lionesses and seized his breath as though dead, the lionesses rushed him, but only to discover that he was dead. They turned him around, pinched him, smell him etc., to see if he was alive, to see if at least little life was still left in him. When the lionesses got tired, they will wait around after which they will go back to check on him. They did this for over and over again, for over an hour, when they got tired, they yearned of hunger and decided to go elsewhere to hunt for food leaving behind their dead sister. By then, Nwankwo had recovered his strength; he opened his eyes and made sure that the lionesses had gone, he then lifted the one he killed on his shoulders and started heading home.

Meanwhile, others had gone home already exhausted and frustrated. Since they did not see Nwankwo and since until then he had not returned, they assumed that he must have been devoured by wild animals since he had only one bullet and chose the path of evil forest. The king was disappointed over the whole effortless effort of his warriors, magicians and hunters. However, about one hour and to the surprise and at the same time dismay of other hunters, warriors and magicians, behold Nwankwo walking into the kings compound carrying hefty and big lioness on his shoulders. None of them could believe their eyes; the king was both surprised and happy because he never believed that his desire will be granted by common Nwankwo of all people. Immediately, the king ordered his welcome, he was warmly welcomed.

After the remarkable burial of the late king, Nwankwo was celebrated; half of the kingdom was given to him and he knew no intimidation, poverty or insult anymore, rather, he had authority, wealth and became a shelter to the poor, the oppressed and the less privileged, and his bravery, his name and his goodness was immortalized in the legendary history of Umuhute as the Ogbuagu one of Umuhute community.

Wisdom of bravery and knowledge well acquired and displayed was very much involved in this story. Wisdom is displayed here in courage, zeal and positive determination. Wisdom encouraged Nwankwo to forge ahead even in the midst of situations so cumbersome and that look very impossible. Somebody may ask, How can someone make it in life without money but through wisdom, Nwankwo had prove that with wisdom and good knowledge, one can make it in life money or no money. Others need many bullets to kill a lion, but wisdom taught Nwankwo how to kill a lion with one bullet. First all, wisdom showed him where he can find lion, secondly, wisdom taught him how to be courageous in the face of a hungry and angry lion and where and how to shoot at the lion, Even when the sister lionesses came around him, it was wisdom that taught him what to do to escape from the lionesses.

With wisdom, impossible are made possible, with her, useless things are made useful; with wisdom, sense is made out of nonsense situations. Wisdom makes a bagger a generous giver, makes a poor man rich and well to do, makes ordinary super and extraordinary. He that build his foundation on wisdom will no sink, fall or crash. These are stories displays in illustration.
From my book titled "The Diamond of Life" Copyright © 2015
Pastor, Nwoko S. Ikechukwu

-- 10 Aug 2017, 08:43 --

Please feel very free to discuss this story. I am open to corrections, suggestions, to answer questions about the story and also, I will be glad to receive complements.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Hello Pastor Ikechukwu,

I enjoyed your story very much. I realize that English is not your first language but the story was entirely clear to me.

As I read this story I could feel the sense of the oral tradition of story telling. It was as though I could hear the words being spoken in the manner in which stories are probably handed down to future generations in your native country, Nigeria, by word of mouth. I found this device to be quite different as well as a pleasing departure from the usual manner in which I experience stories.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

Thanks so much, but if there is/are grammar error(s) please feel very free to point them out for me, I will not be too big to accept good corrections. Ones again thanks a lot.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”