Silver Tears

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Trina Higgs
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina-higgs.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Silver Tears

Post by Trina Higgs »

Screaming and cries of agony; that’s all I could hear.

I felt the tears gently fall from my blue eyes; leaving silvery lines running down my face as they cleared a way through the ash; the roaring fire dancing almost rhythmically in front of me.

This was all my fault, and I knew it.

-------

Legends spread far and wide; across rolling lands and turbulent seas. The prophets of old told a
tale of a young woman; bound to the souls of others. On the day when the world of the present unites
with the worlds of the past we shall have peace, forever more.

-------

I had scoffed at the old tales growing up, not believing them at all, when the prophets would “grace” us with their presents.
Our world had long since been overrun by the things we had once thought to be myths or something to tell the little ones so they would keep out of trouble. Now, all that was left were small tribes; each person only looking after their own hide.
You would think that because of the way of life we have lived we would be more connected, and banned together if there was trouble; but in reality a mother wouldn’t even risk her own skin to save the life of her child.

We had become something worse than the nightmares that hunted us. My people grew to fear them; I was fascinated by them, but still afraid. I knew that selfishness would be our downfall and because of my beliefs I was ridiculed among my people.

All my life I was a freak, an outcast from the village. I had no family, no friends.
I was found, wondering in the misty and foreboding woods; dirty, covered in blood and my cheeks shimmering with silver tears.

No one came to my aid, or even came near me; their hearts already corrupted and blackened. I just stood shakily on my bloody and torn feet; tears still streaming down, reflecting off the fire of their blazing torches. Whispers whirled around me in circles; saying countless evil and horrifying things.

I can only thank one person; one amazing, rather short tempered, wrinkly old women. She was the only survivor of the old ways; when men were true, and the “monsters” in the shadows where still held at bay.

People use to say, she was a sorceress of some kind, and hundreds of years old. To this day I’ve never known what or who she was; all I know is that Shatara was a remarkable woman. I remember; before she disappeared a few months ago, how she would always tenderly gather me into her arms and bring me into the sweetest of hugs, as she gently wiped the tears from my delicate face. I wish she was here right now to make the pain go away.

My mind came rushing back to my surroundings as a support beam came crashing down, from the small wooden house I had as my refuge; flames spreading and dancing all around me.

Resounding screams and cries still coming from the outside, all around the village. I knew I had to get out or be consumed by the hypnotic flames. I brushed the still falling tears from my eyes; the pain that I had become accustomed to, now worse with all the horrors around me. Crawling through the debris, I slowly began to make my way; staying as close to the ground as humanly possible.

Crawling through the maze of the former shack; I could feel the sweat fall off my face from the intense heat. I must be close to the back door; I thought, as the floor beneath me vanished. I fell only a few feet before my body hit the cold ground below. My vision blurred for a moment as air was forced out of my lungs in a rush. Regaining my breath, I looked up, searching for the door. My heart soared when I saw the floor I fell through was actually a trap door. I could see through the open space into the house still ablaze. Then, just as another beam began to collapse right where I would have been, without warning the door swung back up and sealed as the floor shook from the impact of the beam; shutting me out from the rage of the fire above.

I knew that Shatara had made that door; she always was looking out for me.

I could feel the pain in my heavy heart, emotionally crushing me; as I army crawled under the house that I knew would collapse soon. Shatara was good, but not that good.
I made it to the edge of the house, ignoring the dirt and smeared ash that had found its way on my face. Cautiously, I peered out into the village as it burned.

I knew there was no hope for the villagers as I heard only a few screams coming from the border of our village followed by shadows. I know I should hate them and be happy with their fate; after all, they brought it upon themselves for hunting their monsters. But in my heart I knew that there was still hope, there was always hope.

Knowing I needed to get out from underneath my burning home, I moved closer to the edge; thanking Shatara's foresight to have the home on stilts to help with the yearly floods. My breath caught in my throat as I heard husky breathing and soft but still sure footsteps coming towards me. Scooting back farther under the flaming house I felt my heartbeat race as a barefooted man stopped a little to the right of my hiding spot. With the heat from the inferno above pressing in on me; I knew I didn’t have much time. I had to move, but with the feet still so close to me I couldn’t. For some reason I knew he wasn’t human, I knew something was off.

I heard a loud, powerful and commanding howl sound in the distance. The man in front of me turned slightly in the direction the howl had come; a second long howl sang from his throat as his body started shaking. Scared out of my mind at what was happening right before my eyes; I watched as his body shuddered, as it began twisting this way and that. I was so transfix by it all I couldn’t tear my eyes away; then, a surge of light and a mild smell of the elements flowed from him, leaving my senses blinded for a moment. When I looked back, my jaw dropped at the sight before me.

A beautiful gray wolf stood majestic and proud; white paws planted firmly on the ground, his head towards the sky and full moon, his nearly black tail swinging slightly, and his fur virtually glowing in the light. I couldn’t breathe, even if I wanted to. The myths were true; I felt my heart sore at the thought of it. All my years of studying, dreaming and wishing they were true had paid off.

They do exist.

A sickening noise brought me back to reality as I whipped my head behind me and saw the floor of the house was breaking up! The wolf turned around at the noise as well; then jumped back a few feet as my home started to collapse inward. I didn’t give a second thought to it and scrambled out just as the house fell to ruble and ash behind me.

Hands on my knees, I bent over slightly in an effort to catch my breath and slow down my heart. My attempts stopped immediately as I heard a sneeze to my right. I slowly stood up straight and turned towards the noise.

My eyes made eye contact with the wolf, his head cocked slightly to the side in a cute manner. He cautiously stepped closer; causing me to tense in uncertainty, as well as awe. He started sniffing around my legs, back, and neck; the latter causing me to giggle softly. The wolf suddenly jumped back, teeth bared and fur raised.

I didn’t even wait for him to react further; I turned and bolted for the trees. I just started running with all my might. Sprinting through the trees I ducted and leapt, knowing the woods would save me if I kept moving. Steady breathing was the only thing I heard before I let out an ungodly scream. Claws sliced and shredding my back. I felt the blood flow from the wounds; searing pain shot throughout my body from the second his claws met my skin, causing my legs to buckle as I tumbled to the ground.

With my body trembling and screaming in growing agony, I got to my hands and knees; slowly turning my head around to see that the wolf had stopped, his body now the one showing uncertainty. I heard an outraged howl erupt and echo over the land and the grey wolf give out a yelp. He then swung to the right and ran off.

Pushing the pain away as much as I could, I got to my feet and started moving forward again. As I kept on running, I felt like I was flying; gliding over roots, hurtling over bushes with the moonlight shining through the holes in the canopy up above.

A glint of light flashed before me then quickly disappearing.
The pain from my back was only getting worse and I was now finding it hard to breathe let alone run. I saw black shapes running around me; encircling me.

Evelyn

I stopped when the low and husky voice echoed around me. Panic already overriding any rational thought as a breeze picked up.

Trust me.

I felt something silky and soft brush my pale skin before another scream escaped from me. I stopped running, the agonizing pain consuming me with every breath.

Please believe in me.

I couldn’t stand any longer, my legs finally giving out; my body dropping to the soft earth and leaves beneath. I rolled onto my back completely ignoring the gashes caused by the wolf. Suddenly, I don’t know how, but I felt someone near.
I sucked in a sharp breath as light and the smell of elements engulfed me. Soft and sure footfalls coming closer; I closed my eyes in fear; fear of what might happen, feeling…everything.

You may be full of fear and pain now, but you are safe here.

My eyes snapped open when I realized the voice was not coming from the steps moving closer, but from inside my mind. I gingerly turned my head to the left; feeling the incredible amount of pain spasm through me when the footfalls stopped. What I saw made my breath hitch and my heart stop.

When you finally trust in me… finally believe in me… please remember me.

The most attractive man I have ever seen in my God forsaken life, stood before me in all his glory. A tall and broad muscular body built for agility and killing; covered in markings that I knew all too well. Thick dark hair, tanned skin, a strong jaw line and chin. Lips turned down into a sad but understanding frown. His stature was commanding; this man was emitting control and leadership. The last place I looked was his eyes; his beautiful hazel eyes that somehow, were familiar.

Pain surged and grew even more from my body. A cry erupted from my lips again as my body started convulsing and images of a long forgotten past raced through my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Daddy, daddy, can you show me the trick again please..?” I pleaded, giving him the puppy look that no father can resist.

“Sure Princess” he answered with a deep chuckle.

I watched as he brought his hands and forward, palms facing up.
I watched fire blaze out of his hands, swirling and changing colors as I saw it form into two figures dancing gracefully on his hand.

-------

“Keith!!!!”
I yelled in utter joy as he spun me around in circles then he dropped to the ground; me giggling the whole time as my child frame lay on top of his own.

I laughed even more as the rest of the guys came running out to us in their wolf forms: Balendin the gray wolf, James the brown wolf, Caelan a red wolf and Zavior was a mix between black and gray. Keith was my favorite, he was the black wolf.

-------

I sat in the corner, silver tears streaming down my face as Matt and my father were still yelling at each other at the top of their lungs.

“It is her David!" Keith's newly teenage build trying to match my father's. “Evelyn is the girl that is bound! How can you not see it?! Her tears are proof of that!”

My father met Keith's gaze, his wolf showing in his eyes. “I will not let your twisted mate infatuation with MY daughter lead me to believe that Evelyn’s illness has anything to do with the prophecies of old! I will not allow it! I love my daughter to much for it…. it can’t be….

-------

“Daddy!”
“Daddy, wake up!”

“Please wake up” My silver tears flowed like a river as I cradled my father's head in my lap still shaking his shoulders, foolishly thinking it would make a difference.

“Evelyn! RUN!!!” Matt’s voice yelling at me to run, his eyes pleading.
The humans were circling the pack as they tried to fight them off; finally Caelan shot through their defenses and lured them away long enough for me to escape.
I kissed my father’s head goodbye, silently thanking him for saving me, then bolted up to my feet running like Keith had told me to.

I ran so far and fast that I didn’t hear the words Keith whispered to me through our link.
“Evelyn… my love…”

~~~~~~~

My eyes snapped open as I felt my body start to shudder, twisting this way and that; shaking so badly as I felt the surge near my heart.

“Evelyn, shh… everything will be all right; trust me.”

“Ppplease make it sstop.” the pain ringing clearly in my voice.

“It’s almost over; hold on.”

With his voice humming in my mind as I felt the final surge reach my heart. My mouth was agape in a silent cry of agony; Keith having to hold me down as a bright light emerged from my body and hint of nature’s elements surrounded me. I felt an alluring sensation, almost as if I was being set free.

I was left panting on the ground; my body shivering slightly and eyesight going in and out of focus.

“Evelyn?”

My eyes finally adjusting I turned my head, to look at the beauty before me. A huge stunning black wolf was right by my side; its hazel eyes shining in the moonlight. The wolf slowly stepped beside me and brought its muzzle to my white muzzle.

Wait… muzzle?

I looked down and instead of hands I found silver paws..!

I started to panic again, thoughts racing through my head, and then stopped abruptly by the black wolf as he buried his muzzle into mine. I felt another alluring sensation as the light flashed and dimmed once more.

I lay breathless on the soil, not knowing what happened as my body stopped trembling. I felt a pair of ruff hands gently wipe the tears I didn’t know I had shed. I ever so slowly and cautiously roamed my eyes over that perfect man, up neck, past his lips then finally to his beautiful and unchanging hazel eyes.

That one look made everything click in my brain. That one look saved my life. Those eyes were my salvation. Those eyes belonged to the man I had been denied.

To the man I love.

“Keith”

That one word brought the happiest smile on his face; bringing out the rare dimples that I loved to see. Without even thinking, I brought my hands up behind his head and gently placed my lips on his. He didn’t even hesitate to kiss me back with even more passion, both of us showing our love. Pure bliss.

On the day when the world of the present unites with the worlds of the past we shall have peace,
forever more.

The End

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”