"New day tomorrow" by Amanda Morgan

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
ShortStoryContest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShortStoryContest »

The following story has been selected as a featured runner-up in our 2015 short story contest (Contest Theme - "The Self-Destructiveness of Vengeance and Hate")

New day tomorrow:

I see red. It feels as if the walls are closing around me and all I can see it her stupid face. She looks happy. It makes me sick. I knew coming to this party was a bad idea. The music is drowned, and the colored lights burn my eyes. I grab a cup from the counter. It smells like alcohol. It smells strong. I gulp it down, then another one.

It burns the whole way down. My vision is blurry and my legs seem to not be able to keep up with me. I stumble out to my car. I fumble with my keys. It takes a minute but I get the car running. Cold air blows on my face. I reach up to my face to find my cheek damp.

I remember that night as clear as day. I walk in on them in bed. My “committed” boyfriend and my best friend were together in ways he told me he didn’t want to be with me. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I was too dumbfounded to recognize that they keep going after I found them. Their way of saying they didn’t care about me at all. My best friend of 7 years, that listen to me complain about how I thought my boyfriend was cheating, was actually the one he was cheating with.

The tears become more and more, rolling off onto the car seat. Taps on the window gets my attention. There stands the devil himself. I crack the window.

“Hey there, didn’t think you would be interested in a party anytime soon.” A sly smile crossed his face.

“A lot of surprises lately” I sigh.

“Why don’t you get out of here, your hurting peoples eyes.” He laughs and walks away.

I roll the window up and drive out of makeshift parking lot. I drive for a while, tears now pouring out of my eyes. I reach a cliff that overviews the whole city. I get out of my car and walk up to the edge. Voices in my head tell me to jump.

I can’t believe I let him do this. I can’t believe I let her do this. I can’t believe I fell for the trick. I could just end this, with a dive. My name would be plastered in the paper telling about me. My funeral will only consist of my family. The people that were forced to love me. No one would shed a tear. I can see them now reading the paper and laughing. If I just toke this one step, the pain would be over.

Looking off in the distance, I can see the suns color shimmering over the mountains. The sky is painted a light pink. The night slowly disappears, but it will be back.

Just because pain comes, doesn’t mean love wont appear. Just because love comes, doesn’t mean pain wont appear. Life is a cycle of pain vs. love. You can’t have good without bad.
I step away from the edge. I go home. I’ll wake up tomorrow and it will be a new day. New chances to make it a good day. Life goes by, ill live it while it last.
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

This is a good beginning not a short story and you should now think of continuing it.
Try not to use the nominative singular pronoun quite so much.
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
TheRavensWoods
Currently Reading: Faithful
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenswoods.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by TheRavensWoods »

I really enjoyed this story. I like the theme of no matter what happens choosing to live is the best choice. Thanks for this beautiful story.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”