I became a sci-fi writer...

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
oriano
Bookshelf Size: 0

I became a sci-fi writer...

Post by oriano »

In my twenties, I sailed as a wireless officer on Panamanian-flagged merchant ships and traveled on the sea for some years. One day, an officer, who was sailing with me, told me in confidence: “either you stop sailing now or you will be, like me, a gypsy on the sea for all your life without a normal family and without having the opportunity to be close to your sons until retirement age.” I thought a lot about those words and after a few months, decided to disembark.
During the next years, I have dedicated myself to various activities in the field of electronics and also, in the last 20 years, in cosmetics, first as export manager and after, with my own business, as exporter of Italian made skin care products, some of them devised by me personally.
A few years ago, after a large part of my life spent abroad, I decided it was time to stop and retire to the countryside. Now, at my tender age of 76, I was reminded to write. Not because I am an older guy who is bored, on the contrary, living in a big old house, I would find pastimes as bricoleur, as many as I want.
One day, when I put some old books on new shelves, I had a radiotechnics manual in my hands (it was not only an obsolete book but I think incomprehensible to those who nowadays deal with electronics, unless they are also interested in archeology) that had served me, in the night of time, to take the state exam to obtain the license of wireless officer. Leafing through it with a little nostalgia, I confess, I started to think that the figure of the wireless officer has not only disappeared for many years but, nowadays, a few people know what he was doing on board.
At that moment I told myself that it might be nice to tell it around, not only because that role has been part of my life for years, but also because, in those years, no ship in the world would have been allowed to sail without a wireless officer on board.
I therefore decided to describe and tell circumstances and events that happened on sea, seen through the eyes of the protagonist, a young wireless officer.
Halfway through the story, I wondered if I had bored the eventual reader with adventures that, although interesting at first, then become repetitive. Each storm is similar to the others. All evenings spent on shore in an exotic port resemble each other. Human relations on board are always the same, governed by a compulsory hierarchy. So I decided to insert a little mystery into the story, referring to my interest in the history of the universe and in the astrophysics, that have always attracted me as a curious self-taught.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

This is cool to read your thought process behind why you decided to write the book that you're working on. I hear that writing what you know is often the best decision, and that seems to be what you're doing! I'm definitely interested in what sort of mystery you included and how it relates to astrophysics and the history of the universe.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”