RANDOM FRIENDS

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Abigail09
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 4

Icon RANDOM FRIENDS

Post by Abigail09 »

Part 1: Bus Scene.
In the Bus travelling from Starcis city to their resident city, Bellark; seven people of diverse nationalities randomly meet in the bus. 6 of them were seated while one didn't feel like sitting as people kept offering seats seeing as this one looked so out of it. Savi was the last to board the bus and he just preferred to stand on the bus with a sad and confused expression on.
Mena, one of the six remaining people is a carefree girl that doesn’t mind socializing when needed. Mena notices Savi's depressed face and taps him.
Mena: Are you okay?
Savi sighs and shakes his head.
Mena: What’s wrong?
*A light slightly shone in Savi’s eyes as if he had found where to pour all his worries and he didn’t mind that it was a stranger; it didn’t matter anyway. He thought to himself, they might not meet again after this*
Savi: I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Honestly, I thought I had it figured out. I do everything possible but it doesn’t seem go through …
*Mena looks at the frustrated Savi with sympathy but still trying to understand what exactly the problem was*
Mena: Hey (softly), I’m listening. You can talk to me. What happened?
Savi: There is a girl. Uhmm I’m sorry, I mean, it is about my girl. She is just difficult. I—I mean she is just being difficult. (Stutters)
*Sitting right beside Mena is one the remaining five people; Naime. Bella and Lola are sitting across each other totally unaware of each other. Fresja and Hamet on the other hand are sitting beside each other but totally unknown to each other as well*
Naime has no other option (earphones broke) but to listen the conversation between his seat mate and the sad guy standing just some inches away from where they are seated.
*Savi continues*
Savi: We have been dating for eight months, I really like her; I love her but she complains too much. I do a lot to try and please her.
Mena: Okaaaaay (Mena says softly and dragged)
*Savi pauses and stares into space*
Mena: Have you tried communicating your worries to her?
Savi: (scoffs) she complains more than communicating. Most times I feel she is just someone that can’t be satisfied with anything I do in our relationship.
Mena: What exactly do you do in the relationship if I may ask?
*Savi (shocked at this question) clears throat*
Uhmm okay, I didn’t expect that question but I would say that I do everything. I am romantic, caring, faithful and responsible. I feel one of the things I do wrong is caring too much for her.
*Mena cuts in*
Mena: Yeah, I hear that a lot. Okay. You see..I don’t want to sound one-sided; right!
*As mentioned earlier; Bella is Latina, Hamet is Turkish, Lola and Fresja are African, Naime is American and Mena is African American while Savi is a Turkish American*
Savi: What are you saying? Are you saying I still did something wrong? (asked with shock and hurt).
*Mena trying to mouth words but nothing comes out*
Savi: No please tell me, I need to know. I really am into this girl.
Mena: Normally, people would say that it is not right to hear one side of a story only. It is important for both sides to be heard to judge fairly and appropriately.
*Lola and Bella nod while Fresja makes a slight grin. Naime just focuses on listening while Hamet catches a glimpse of the strangers (Lola and Bella) nodding but missed his seat partner’s grin. Naime being Mena’s seat partner decided to just listen to their conversation without interrupting or causing a distraction*
*Mena continues*
Mena: Okay. I would say that regardless of whether the story is one-sided, effective communication is important and you should try to achieve that.
*Mena narrows eyes before continuing*
I should also tell you that if after you try this and things don’t get better between you guys, you might have to think of the way forward (you know?!)
*Mena shrugs hoping that Savi gets what she is trying to say, without her actually saying it out*
Savi: No No No. I don’t wanna.
Mena: Don’t get me wrong. I know we just met but I have had enough experience with relationships to know that communication is the key to so many issues that come up.
*Lola and Bella eyes met and they smiled at each other when they realized they had both been listening. Hamet looked at the strangers that were nodding before and they all met eyes while fresja has not being noticed yet*
Savi: Thank You (Weakly)
Mena: I know you love her but you need to love yourself as much. You should know if you are happy or strong enough to hold it in for both if y’all. (You feel me?)
*Mena looks at Savi searching for an expression or gesture of understanding*
Savi still looking like the world is about to come to an end.
Mena: Okay, let’s do this. Can you give it another 3 months with effective communication?
My name is Mena. What’s yours?
Savi: I’m Savini but you can call me Savi.
Mena: Nice to meet you Savi.
*Naime introduces himself out of nowhere and talks of how he couldn’t help but listen to their conversation. He then gives Mena ‘The Glance’*
*Fresja, Hamet, Lola ad Bella moved closer for their own introduction as the bus was just approaching the city and the bus stops were not very far off. Fresja and Hamet looked at each and were surprised that they both were interested in the conversation, but didn’t notice each other*
Lola: Hi, I’m Lola. You are cool (looks at Mena)
*Mena smiles with a soft ‘thank you’*
*Bella interrupts with her introduction*
Bella: Hey, I’m Bella. (Looks at Savi) If your girl doesn’t change by 3 months, I’m here for you (winks at Savi).
*Everyone laughs*
Mena in her thoughts (So, she is the one with the sense of humor).
*Hamet and Fresja simultaneously introduced themselves*
Fresja: Hello
Hamet: Hello, I’m Hamet
Fresja: My name is Fresja and I want to be part of the three-month- thing.
*Echoed agreement ensued*
Hamet, Bella, Lola and Naime : Me too.
*Mena laughs*
Mena: Wow! Okay. Where should we meet in three months? It seems there are more people interested in what the outcome will be. Also, whatever the outcome is; Savi, I want you to know that, I’m here for you and I also would like to get to know…
*Bella cuts in*
Bella: I said it first winks again at Savi).
*They all laughed*
Mena: Nice to meet you all. This is so random and I like it.
*Mena Smiles*
They then continue their conversation about random things trying to get to know each other before the bus stop drop starts. And then it started with Fresja alighting first followed by Bella then Mena and Naime (surprisingly making use of the same bus stop), followed by Savi and Lola. Hamet’s bus stop was farther so he alighted last but looking at it; the random friends live within intervals of bus stops. Maybe it wasn’t so random after all
SCENE 1 END
manal usama
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by manal usama »

the scene is closely related to the relationship yes its a good short story it helps how to understand your better half or love one . how to understand the relationship and how emotions leads to be happy or not . the writer talk about self love and self esteem which is very important to survive.
Last edited by manal usama on 03 Sep 2020, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Abigail09
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Abigail09 »

Part 2: Walking Home Scene

*Mena and Naime after alighting at the bus stop*
*Mena smiles sheepishly as she had suddenly become a shy person*
Mena: So, you live around here? She asked
Naime: Yes, its just seven minutes walk that way.
*Naime points towards to the left direction just after the traffic light*
Mena: Wow! You live very close. *Mena Smiles*
Naime: What about you?
Mena starts to dramatically reply Naime.
Mena: Well *Mena starts to make expressions that implies that she lives far*
*Naime was already feeling pity for her and almost offered to walk her home*
Mena: I stay somewhere around this area too. * she pauses again for 3 seconds then point firmly towards a building that was just opposite the traffic light*
Mena: I live right there.
*Naime's eyes bulged out in disbelief and surprise. Her answer was totally different from what her expression was*
Naime: Are you serious? You live right there?
Mena: Laughs out now. Soooryyyy. Still laughing.
Naime: Wow!
*They were almost arrived at the traffic light where they had to go their separate ways*
*Mena started thinking of a way to ask for Naime's number without being perceived as desperate or too forward. She told herself that she atleast needed to keep in touch with one of the random friends she had met on the bus but then she collected Savi's number. So, that excuse is not entirely tenable. She needed another reason to ask him for his number. While thinking about that, she convinced herself not to ask him because they would meet in 3 months. They all had one number in common; Savi's.*
Naime however had a different plan in mind; you remember 'The glance' from the bus? Yes, that's the plan.
Naime: Uhmmm, do you mind me asking for your.. he coughs... clears throat.. I mean.. your number? That's if you do not mind (He added again).
Mena: Sure, why not? (Elated that he asked; he had just saved her).
Mena types her number into his phone and they bade each other goodbye..

Savi & Lola dropped at the same bus stop but walked in opposite directions. Lola is the one with the sweet personality. Mena saw that in her eyes when she introduced herself. Lola cheered Savi on his way. She made sure they parted with smiles.
Hamet, Fresja, Bella dropped at separate bus stops. Bella's first impression was someone who didn't mind going out of her way to make people feel better. The random friends laughed a lot in the bus because of her.
Hamet is the competitive one(remember the bus scene where he and fresja walked together to where Mena was seated? Fresja was about to introduce himself but Hamet had this expression on his face as he overtook him while he was saying 'Hello'). Anyways, that's just first impression. They might actually be different. Time will tell...
Aishwarya Chhabra
Currently Reading: Make The Dirt Fly
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishwarya-chhabra.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Aishwarya Chhabra »

Really great story tempting for more.

Last bumped by Abigail09 on 29 Sep 2021, 13:39.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”