Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Miniaturist"

Discuss the February 2015 book of the month, The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

How do you rate The Miniaturist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
30%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
18%

Total votes: 40

Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Miniaturist"

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I have to agree with some of the above commenters. I got a feeling of, "what was the point of this?" once I finished it. I was zooming through the first few chapters;I wanted to figure out what was going on. That was my favorite part. By the end of the book, I was forcing myself to read. I think the goal of the book was to show the religious oppression, racism, and hypocrisy during this time. However, I did not like any of the characters and I could not relate to the way they acted. Well, I liked Otto and Corneilia. Why was Johannes so reluctant to sell the sugar? Why didn't he lock his door at the VOC? What was the deal with the miniaturist? Was she supposed to have some supernatural power? I did not feel satisfied by the ending at all.
aelliott6
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by aelliott6 »

I really enjoyed how atmospheric this book was. The strangeness of it stayed with me and I found I was looking forward to continuing reading it. Like other members have said, I think a lot of this was to do with the time frame and setting. I thought it was quite a fresh take on a historical novel. Personally I found Johannes the most interesting character. He was reckless but not motivated by greed, unlike most of the people of power/wealth portrayed in the book, which meant he appeared unique and admirable . In the end, I thought he was a tragic character.
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

aelliott6 wrote:I really enjoyed how atmospheric this book was. The strangeness of it stayed with me and I found I was looking forward to continuing reading it. Like other members have said, I think a lot of this was to do with the time frame and setting. I thought it was quite a fresh take on a historical novel. Personally I found Johannes the most interesting character. He was reckless but not motivated by greed, unlike most of the people of power/wealth portrayed in the book, which meant he appeared unique and admirable . In the end, I thought he was a tragic character.

I agree that he was a very tragic figure. He is someone that would just be admired today, and his sexuality would not be an issue!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Lisalovecraft wrote:
aelliott6 wrote:I really enjoyed how atmospheric this book was. The strangeness of it stayed with me and I found I was looking forward to continuing reading it. Like other members have said, I think a lot of this was to do with the time frame and setting. I thought it was quite a fresh take on a historical novel. Personally I found Johannes the most interesting character. He was reckless but not motivated by greed, unlike most of the people of power/wealth portrayed in the book, which meant he appeared unique and admirable . In the end, I thought he was a tragic character.

I agree that he was a very tragic figure. He is someone that would just be admired today, and his sexuality would not be an issue!
Regretably in many parts of the world it would still be very much an issue :(
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Fran wrote:Regretably in many parts of the world it would still be very much an issue :(
Sadly Fran, you are right. My country is one of those. Last year a law had been passed that makes any sexual act other than a heterosexual one illegal. So now not only is it just frowned upon, anyone who comes out as lgbt can actually be prosecuted. :|
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

BookWorm07 wrote:
Fran wrote:Regretably in many parts of the world it would still be very much an issue :(
Sadly Fran, you are right. My country is one of those. Last year a law had been passed that makes any sexual act other than a heterosexual one illegal. So now not only is it just frowned upon, anyone who comes out as lgbt can actually be prosecuted. :|
I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I have been taking for granted the fact I live in a more liberal area. Same sex marriage is legal, and no one I know has to be fearful of talking about their sexuality. It does make the events in The Miniaturist more chilling; the thought that this type of severe social ostracism and punishment can still happen in this day and age.
nitesh
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitesh.html

Post by nitesh »

I would definitely like to read onw
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

BookWorm07 wrote:
I am sorry to hear that. Sadly, it is the same in too many countries and people are getting executed for that in those countries. :cry:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html

Post by BookWorm07 »

Lisalovecraft wrote:
BookWorm07 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I have been taking for granted the fact I live in a more liberal area. Same sex marriage is legal, and no one I know has to be fearful of talking about their sexuality. It does make the events in The Miniaturist more chilling; the thought that this type of severe social ostracism and punishment can still happen in this day and age.
Yes, Johannes's story is very much plausible even in today's world, especially here in India. I'm glad there are at least some places in this world where such trivial differences in human nature do not make people worthy of hate and execution. :)
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Maria_G
Favorite Author: Too many to mention
Favorite Book: The Divine Comedy
Currently Reading: The Miniaturist
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-g.html

Post by Maria_G »

After reading the book and reading all the mixed reviews on The Miniaturist I have to say I found a lot of positives in it, hence I gave it 3 stars. I get what people are saying about the abrupt ending that leaves a lot of un unswered questions, but I doubt that Nella got those questions answered herself. It was "refreshing" to read a book that was so real, as in there were no fake happily ever afters just for the readers satisfaction. This is what would have happened in real life and the author did not sugar coat it. This is one of the things I loved about this book. The Miniaturist in my opinion was the supporting "actor", even if the book was named after it. If you read between the lines you will see that you do get some answers regarding what was behind the miniaturist motives. As for the characters I found then all relatable and tragic. Each battling their own demons and trying to make it through the best way they could. Nella was forced to grow up and mature into a woman in a matter of months. I trully felt for her and the burden she was left to carry.
I liked the authors writing style and at some points my heart ached for each and every one of them.
One thing that Johannes said to Nella was so true, so raw, especially in todays word we live in.

"When you have truly come to know a person, Nella – when you see beneath the sweeter gestures, the smiles – when you see the rage and the pitiful fear which each of us hide – then forgiveness is everything. We are all in desperate need of it"
rosmith
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rosmith »

I would give the miniaturist a 2

I loved the setting and the tension surrounding social conventions of the day. I also enjoyed the evolution of characters and the internal struggles that each of the faced. But, there were a lot if things that weren't 'tied' up at the end. Especially the identity and purpose of the miniaturist. Maybe more parallel stories showing the impact of her actions on other lives? I also would have expected that there would have been some sort of major event that solidified Nella's role as a strong woman of the house. Maybe a better decision point. I felt like there was some of that. But, nothing that 'brought it home'.
Bubamdk2
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bubamdk2.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Bubamdk2 »

I just finished this book and absolutely loved it. I think that Jessie Burton did a superb job writing this, her first, novel. The imagery was so realistic to me that I felt as if I were there - watching, hearing, smelling, listening - to it all personally. I strongly believe that upon finishing the book, the reader almost has an abligation to go back and re-read the first chapter of the book - as the beginning is the end and the end is the beginning. I almost think that Ms. Burton did that on purpose - placing the last chapter first in the book. It signifies that all endings have new beginnings and vise versa. After I re-read the first chapter, then I felt a bit of a conclusion; although, in a situation like Nella's can there ever be a conclusion. Many secretsa and mysteries were revealed, but Nella has plenty more to keep, doesn't she. Her future is still uncertain. I am almost hoping for a sequel to this novel so that more story could be told. Ms. Burton's writing was amazingly brilliant and her story mezmorizing. I can't wait to see what else she dreams up for me to read....
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Bubamdk2 wrote: I strongly believe that upon finishing the book, the reader almost has an abligation to go back and re-read the first chapter of the book - as the beginning is the end and the end is the beginning. I almost think that Ms. Burton did that on purpose - placing the last chapter first in the book. It signifies that all endings have new beginnings and vise versa. After I re-read the first chapter, then I felt a bit of a conclusion; although, in a situation like Nella's can there ever be a conclusion.

Thank you! After reading this, I went back and reread the first chapter! I don't know how I missed that this was the ending. I do think that is provides some more closure, and agree with your assessment that all endings have new beginnings.
rosmith
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rosmith »

Bubamdk2 wrote:I just finished this book and absolutely loved it. I think that Jessie Burton did a superb job writing this, her first, novel. The imagery was so realistic to me that I felt as if I were there - watching, hearing, smelling, listening - to it all personally. I strongly believe that upon finishing the book, the reader almost has an abligation to go back and re-read the first chapter of the book - as the beginning is the end and the end is the beginning. I almost think that Ms. Burton did that on purpose - placing the last chapter first in the book. It signifies that all endings have new beginnings and vise versa. After I re-read the first chapter, then I felt a bit of a conclusion; although, in a situation like Nella's can there ever be a conclusion. Many secretsa and mysteries were revealed, but Nella has plenty more to keep, doesn't she. Her future is still uncertain. I am almost hoping for a sequel to this novel so that more story could be told. Ms. Burton's writing was amazingly brilliant and her story mezmorizing. I can't wait to see what else she dreams up for me to read....
I would love to read a sequel. As you say, there is really more to tell. I will take your suggestion and re-read the first chapter.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I think I'll give this a go. It's in our local library, so if I don't like it I haven't wasted my money. Maybe over the summer ...
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.

Return to “"The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton”