Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Miniaturist"

Discuss the February 2015 book of the month, The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

How do you rate The Miniaturist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
30%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
18%

Total votes: 40

Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Miniaturist"

Post by Heather »

I actually read this in December for my personal book club, and was excited to see it as the book of the month here, so I could discuss it some more. I enjoyed this book. I loved the setting, in that it was different from anything else I have read, which made it interesting. I loved seeing Nella's growth throughout the story. She ended up with a marriage from from what she expected, but she pulled herself together and made a life for herself in the family that she had become a part of. I also loved the mystery throughout the book. I just had to keep reading so I could find out what in the world was going on!

I, however, did not like the loose ends left concerning the Miniaturist herself. I wanted to know more, and found it odd that she just disappeared from a story titled after her.

Still, I enjoyed the book.
Michael_hayden
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-hayden.html

Post by Michael_hayden »

I'm about halfway through. So far, I think Nella is likeable, and I can connect with her emotions. It was so slow to start that I almost gave up, but its quaint charm told me to persist. The story's starting to pick up, the mystery's building, so I'll hang in there!
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I loved this book from beginning to end. The descriptions really transported my mind to 17th century Amsterdam. Nella and Cornelia were instantly likable. Took me a little longer to warn up to Johannes and Marin, I can't really say I liked her at any point but I did come to respect her choices. The story was continually surprising me and while the ending did seem abrupt I was not unhappy with it. I felt like this book was meant to be a snapshot of a few months in Nella's life and it was not the author's intention to tie everything up with a neat little bow. I found the story to be unique and fascinating. I will be looking for other work from this author.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Heather
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html

Post by Heather »

sahmoun2778 wrote:I felt like this book was meant to be a snapshot of a few months in Nella's life and it was not the author's intention to tie everything up with a neat little bow.
I like that idea! Maybe Nella's story isn't finished yet. :)
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

When I first started reading and it was kind of slow, but after the first few chapters it's really started to pick up! However, when I got to the end I also felt that it was unfinished orvabrupt! It just kind of ended. Over all I think the author did a good job with story building and the book had a good plot. I rated it 3 -4 stars.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I ordered it from the library but am a bit hesitant to pick it up now after reading the reviews here. I find open-ended stories that don't resolve the problems they hype to be very frustrating (I only know one author who can get away with it).

Is it really that unresolved at the end? I'm not sure if it's worth it now. I am interested in the subject matter but I don't want to end up being disappointed. :(
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
scquarantillo

Post by scquarantillo »

I don't think you'll be disappointed..if I didn't pick up books because of other reviews I would have missed some of my favorite books! Go with your gut!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duende Knocking wrote:I ordered it from the library but am a bit hesitant to pick it up now after reading the reviews here. I find open-ended stories that don't resolve the problems they hype to be very frustrating (I only know one author who can get away with it).

Is it really that unresolved at the end? I'm not sure if it's worth it now. I am interested in the subject matter but I don't want to end up being disappointed. :(
I enjoyed the book despite its shortcomings and recommend reading it. There are some loose ends, but the book is still enjoyable.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cbrunyate
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html

Post by Cbrunyate »

I think maybe my hopes for this book were just too high. I really liked the idea, but it just got too sad for me. I kept waiting for something good to happen, and it never did. I was even disappointed with the ending, I was really hoping that it would go in a different direction. I thought the author was a good writer, it was descriptive, and made me want to keep reading. If the amount of hype that it got, I think I just expected more.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I requested this from the library, but am still on the wait list. Don't think I will be getting it by the end of the month. :cry:
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Maria_G
Favorite Author: Too many to mention
Favorite Book: The Divine Comedy
Currently Reading: The Miniaturist
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-g.html

Post by Maria_G »

I have downloaded it today. Feeling quite excited about reading it as I have read mixed rewies. I think as a book it sounds very interesting.
scquarantillo

Post by scquarantillo »

Maria_G wrote:I have downloaded it today. Feeling quite excited about reading it as I have read mixed rewies. I think as a book it sounds very interesting.

Don't let the reviews sway you. Honestly the book is good. The author has a nice writing style that will keep you going! Let me know what you think!
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

I enjoyed the book. It was not something I'd have picked to read on my own (which is the main reason I like to read the book club selections). I enjoyed the setting of Amsterdam in the 1600's. Nella was young but had high aspirations for her marriage. I think her husband, Johannes, held real affection for her but not romantically. I admit his secret wasn't what I thought is would be, and I'm glad I was wrong because I thought for some time that Marin (his sister) and he were...together. Marin was a contradictory character and most of the time I found I didn't really like her. She had some deep secrets herself and Nella will be left carrying the burden. Overall, I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I just started reading this after reading the reviews and discussions. I'm glad there weren't any real spoilers. So far I am enjoying it tremendously and look forward to posting my views when I'm finished.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Fran wrote:I finished The Miniaturist in the early hours.
An interesting book. On the plus side I appreciated the level of research Jessie Burton did and the detailed depiction of Amsterdam in 1686 with it's oppressive fundamentalism, obsession with sin and a thinly veiled hypocrisy and the insight it gives into the lives of traders and entrepreneurs of the period.
On the negative side I found much of the book stretched credibility and left much unresolved or unexplained. Overall while I liked Nella I just did not find her to be totally credible. I felt she morphed from a wide-eyed country innocent to a knowing street-smart woman, accepting of all the secrets and peccadilloes of her new family much too readily and with little or no conflict of conscience, just did not ring true with me.
That said it is a reasonably entertaining book but I felt the ending was unresolved and ultimately frustrating, she had hyped up the "secrets" and the mysterious happening and then just failed to provide resolution.
IMO an OK read but not one I would be rushing to recommend.

I actually enjoyed it and thought it was great for all of these reasons that you stated. The research was extremely brilliant and the depictions were quite accurate. The author did a very good job with her depictions of Amsterdam in 1686. The ending was a little lackluster and left me wanting more but overall, the book was good. I'd definitely recommend it to others.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore

Return to “"The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton”