Review by Ak1412 -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by Ak1412 -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by Ak1412 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant’s Lament by Mois Benarrosh is unlike any book I have ever read before in the best way possible. This collection of contemporary poetry covers a wide array of topics and themes including cultural background, love, depression, and war. All of which exude a burst of emotions for readers to find themselves lost in. With so many different areas covered, it is nearly impossible for someone to read this book without relating to at least one of the poems.

Choosing a favorite part of The Immigrant’s Lament is no easy task as their are many aspects of the book which I would love to sing praises about. It is an easy read that pulls readers in. The work was edited in a close to flawless way and on top of that, it is relatable. If I were forced though, to select just one favorite part it would be the word choice of Benarrosh. He is able to create countless stories in a minimalist way. Like all great poetry, every word matters. In a few words he is able to create loved characters and scenarios vividly for his audience.

A near second though is the fearless way in which Benarrosh chose his topics. He addresses the feelings of a transgender person, negative opinions about the global economy, death, war, confused feelings about religion, and countless other things that are not discussed often enough. He is able to make his voice heard strongly through his writing, and allows others to deeply consider his thoughts on these topics.

Finding something I did not like in this beautiful collection of poetry was much harder. My least favorite thing comes based purely off of personal preference. I found that in some poems such as the My Childhood section of the title poem there seemed to be an unnecessary amount of repetition. Though I know there was an intended effect, after reading the same two or three words so many times they become tedious and in part lose their meaning.

This book should be on the book shelf of all poetry lovers. There is a niche audience for this book of readers who agree more with the views of Benarrosh on some of the topics mentioned in the third paragraph. However, people who begin to read it and disagree with some viewpoints should continue to read anyways as it may expand their worldview. The Immigrant’s Lament deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Benarrosh is a poet that lovers of poetry should watch closely.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Ak1412's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Benarroch is a multi-awarded poet in Israel. He is most passionate about the travails of the Sephardim. You may want to read his interview in one of the OBC forums.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I also loved this collection. I am a huge poetry fan and this is one of the better collections I've read lately. Great review!
Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 00:31 Benarroch is a multi-awarded poet in Israel. He is most passionate about the travails of the Sephardim. You may want to read his interview in one of the OBC forums.
Thanks. I'll check that out! This was such an interesting read.

Thanks for checking out the review.
Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 »

Delaney35 wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 09:42 I also loved this collection. I am a huge poetry fan and this is one of the better collections I've read lately. Great review!
Thank you for checking it out. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Thank you for your review. I also read this recently. I agree with you that Benarroch has a strong voice in his writing. The points of view he makes us ponder definitely require deep consideration.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 »

Sinclairess wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 12:42 Thank you for your review. I also read this recently. I agree with you that Benarroch has a strong voice in his writing. The points of view he makes us ponder definitely require deep consideration.
Sorry I am just getting back to you, but I wanted to thank you for checking out my review and sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”