Official Review: Take a Walk with Me by Caroline Street

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: Take a Walk with Me by Caroline Street

Post by ZenaLei7 » 02 Feb 2019, 12:39

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Take a Walk with Me" by Caroline Street.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Take a Walk with Me, by Caroline Street, is filled with paintings, photographs, and poetry. Composed of 41 poems, the poems cover a broad range of subjects that range from environmental issues to daily struggles in life.

The first poem describes the rhinos and how the poaching crisis negatively affects them. Other poems describe animals in their natural habitats, like the water buffalos, who have been negatively affected by nature and not humans. Besides animals, there are poems vividly describe the landscape of Africa as well as the clouds or the sunset. One poem mentioned the vibrancy and beauty of the park behind the author’s home. There are also poems that describe the beauty of flowers, like the magnolias, and the significance of the color of a rose. Additionally, there are a lot more poems that go on a deeper and spiritual level that surround topics on death, friendships, and the author’s personal musings. There is a poem that describes how some friends aren't really your friends because of the way they may act toward you.

From landscapes to wildlife, each poem was accompanied by either a painting done by the author or one of her photographs. The paintings or photographs numbered from one to many and covered either one side of the page or the entire page. I thought this added a unique and creative twist to the book, and it was also what I liked the most about this book. Some of the poems also included quotes that were either by the author or were from the Bible. One of her poems had bible quotes inserted as part of the poem, which I thought was distinctive. Furthermore, the poems varied in length, ranging from a few verses to a little more than a page, and in style with some containing different rhyming patterns, while others were written in free verse.

Moreover, the subjects behind some of the poems were serious, while other poems were light-hearted. For example, the darker poems described the poaching crisis of rhinos and the death of a child, while the light-hearted poems were about a cat and a lizard. Since the author is from South Africa, she included poems about her homeland and the wildlife inhabiting it. She also included poems about how she gets her inspirations as an artist as well as the difficulties she comes across when painting or writing. The spiritual nature of some of her poems are inspiring, and most of her poems are reflective and reminiscent, like in her poems about a swing and a tombstone.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the various topics of each poem and the pictures or photographs that accompanied them. I even learned a few new words like proclivity and treacle. Also, I came across a punctuation error, but besides that, this book was refreshingly clear of any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy reading poetry about nature and spiritual subjects.

Take a Walk with Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate » 21 Feb 2019, 05:26

I am not a fan of poems as I sometimes find them difficult to translate. However, I like the fact that the ones in this book discuss environmental issues and daily struggles in life. Thanks for a great review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Feb 2019, 08:55

It's sad that in this modern day and age, poaching is still such a problem. Poetry isn't my cup of tea, but I really should try it again. With the range of subjects in this one, it seems like it would be a good one to start with, especially with the rating you give it. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by InStoree » 22 Feb 2019, 09:15

I love Africa. This book will take me on a safari tour through the wildness. I surely have a glimpse in my eye. Thanks for your review!
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

Deeyf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deeyf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Deeyf » 26 Feb 2019, 03:12

Thank you for your thorough review. It made the stories behind the poems sound intriguing even though I haven't read it yet.

Sandra K Pearson
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Obsidian Son
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sandra K Pearson » 26 Feb 2019, 14:59

Its's interesting how there are pictures next to the poems. I've never been into poetry but I'll have to give this one a try.
" Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen. "

-Orhan Pamuk

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”