Official Review: Poetry for everyone to enjoy

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Poetry for everyone to enjoy

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetry for everyone to enjoy" by Marina Guerrero.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Writing poetry can be a wonderful form of self-expression, and reading poems can help us to see the world through the eyes of someone else. Poetry for Everyone to Enjoy is a collection of twenty-eight poems by Marina Guerrero. The poet describes her perspectives on various subjects including love, relationships, and family. There are also poems about loss, pain, and hurt.

All of the poems in this book are written with an acute frankness about the subject. This is a refreshing approach to poetry writing because the true meaning of many poems is typically hidden behind flowery language, and embellished descriptions. One might argue that the best poems are written with these features, but I really appreciate that I could easily grasp the main gist of each of Guerrero’s poems. Unfortunately, this was the only redeeming quality of the book.

Most of Guerrero’s poetry is written in the free verse style. This style of poetry does not follow an explicit rhyming scheme, but I can’t help but think that a consistent rhyming scheme could have made some of the poems more interesting. Although some of the poems are written about thought-provoking subjects like war, sex and death, they are not captivating at all. To me, the poems actually seem to be very basic descriptions of these broad topics. If the words of some of the poems are typed in a paragraph instead of a poetic layout, it would be very difficult to distinguish that is actually a piece of poetry. Moreover, the poems fail to evoke emotions. The poems entitled, ‘Bully’, and ‘Friendship’ are two such examples.

There are also inconsistencies with the spelling of certain words. In modern poetry, it is normal to adopt chat abbreviations like ‘u’ to mean ‘you’, and ‘y’ to mean ‘why’. Guerrero uses a lot of chat abbreviations in her poems, but they are not consistent throughout the book. Both forms are used which makes it seem like the chat abbreviations should count as errors. This is seen in the poems entitled ‘Sex’, and ‘Beauty’.

Not counting the inconsistencies with the chat abbreviations, there is a multitude of other grammatical and spelling errors in the poems. Examples include ‘crept’ which is spelled ‘crypt’, and ‘sit’ which is spelled ‘seat’. Moreover, neither page numbers nor a table of contents is included in the book. A cover page bearing the title of the book and the poet’s name is also missing. This leads me to believe that this book is not professionally edited.

Due to the uninteresting nature of the poems, the inconsistencies of the use of chat abbreviations, the errors, and the missing introductory features of the book, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. Once these have been rectified, adults who like simple, concise poetry may find the book enjoyable. Despite the book’s title, the sexual content of one poem makes the book inappropriate for younger readers.

Poetry for everyone to enjoy
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I love both free-verse poems and rhyming ones, so I'm tempted to check these poems even if you didn't like them. My guess is the author simply tried to see if people would enjoy her poems and she could add more poems after that, developing the book into a genuine collection and eliminating the editing errors. Thanks for an honest review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I have to admit, this one appeals to me. I'm not into the type of poetry that you have to sit and ponder over for hours. I usually just end up missing the meanings altogether. Still, I think I'd have to ponder over this one just to figure out what the author was trying to say in the midst of the grammatical errors. Maybe once this one has been edited I'll look at it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I do enjoy poetry sometimes, but if they are merely general overviews of various topics, I might have to give this a miss. Thank you for the review nonetheless.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

gen_g wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 10:12 I do enjoy poetry sometimes, but if they are merely general overviews of various topics, I might have to give this a miss. Thank you for the review nonetheless.
You're welcome. Poetry is such an expressive form of writing, I think it should not be as general as the ones in this book. The best poems evoke feelings and makes you think about things differently.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Gosh, bad poetry can be really hard to get through. Great job characterizing this book. Poetry can be difficult to review, but you nailed this one. Well done.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Poetry has always being an important part of my love for books, I started reading and reciting poems when i was 6 so seeing all this collections of poems that are written in free style is not for me, It make me feel like they are giving a good message and sharing feelings but they lack the style and dedication that other authors do have. Thank you for the honest review.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”