Official Review: Steward of the Harvest

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Steward of the Harvest

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steward of the Harvest" by Stephen John Vattimo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Steward of the Harvest is a collection of artwork and poems which are infused with many elements of Christianity. It was penned and illustrated by Stephen Vattimo. The book contains over fifty poems which portray some of the more interesting concepts of the Christian religion, such as Satan’s trickery. Descriptions and short narrations are also provided for each of the author’s artwork. These provide important insights into the author’s life.

I chose to read this book because I was intrigued by the unique combination of religious art and poems. As an artist myself, I enjoyed looking at the paintings and drawings. My favorite piece was the acrylic painting entitled, ‘The Creation Cries Out’. It depicted a coral reef scene with several varieties of fish. At first glance, it does not seem to be a religious work of art, except for the subtle crosses in the background, but on reading Vattimo’s description, I realized that each species of fish represented a Biblical notion. This was quite fascinating. For example, the lionfish in the center of the painting was a reference to Jesus because he was referred to as The Lion of Judea in the Bible.

The best poems always evoke emotions. Vattimo’s poems certainly made me feel differently after I read them. One poem which gave me shivers of fear was called ‘Don’t Gamble with the Devil’. It was directed to the reader of the poem, and it told the story of a card game with the Devil. While the cards seemed to be rigged in the reader’s favor, the Devil won at the end, and his snide remark was, “You thought you were going to beat the devil at his own game? You poor fool, you were only being deceived. Now, pay me what you owe me. Give me your soul”. On the contrary, there was another poem which spoke about salvation and this made me feel hopeful and protected. It spoke about drowning in a stormy sea, but being saved by a golden raft in the shape of a cross.

Another important thing to note was that Vattimo included aspects of his life in his poetry, descriptions, and artwork. As a regular participant in Pennsylvania’s Historical Society Great Pumpkin Carve event, a few of the illustrations in the book were actually his very own pumpkin-carving designs. Furthermore, in one of his paintings, he drew a morning glory plant choking a grapevine. He later stated that during one of his missionary stints, he learned that this plant was actually a dangerous weed for crops, despite the popularity of its beautiful flowers. This was the reason he used it to represent deceitfulness and riches which choke the word of God. Vattimo also spent a portion of his life serving the military and he included one poem which was intended for soldiers. I really appreciated that his life was reflected in his poems and artwork. This helped me to connect with the person behind the writing and illustrations.

While Steward of the Harvest was an interesting book, it contained an abundance of errors. Words like ‘refrained’ was spelled ‘reframed’, and ‘debt’ was spelled ‘dept’. Furthermore, commas were missing in some sentences. In addition to typos, I spotted a few proper nouns which should have begun with a capital letter. There was also a consistent mix-up between ‘who’s’ and ‘whose’ throughout the book. Therefore, I’m rating it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend that this book undergoes professional editing. With regards to the target audience for this book, I think that anyone who likes religious poems and art will enjoy this book.

Steward of the Harvest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Poetry with errors really defeats its purpose. If the reader gets distracted or confused by what is written, the flow and grace is lost and that is a terrible shame. It seems that the book has a lot of wisdom to offer and I hope another round of editing saves the day! Great review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

He later stated that during one of his missionary stints, he learned that this plant was actually a dangerous weed for crops, despite the popularity of its beautiful flowers. This was the reason he used it to represent deceitfulness and riches which choke the word of God.
This book seems to be a beautiful collection of illustrations and poems. I particularly liked this image of this plant. I am not a fan of poetry hence, I will skip this one. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate that this is artwork as well as poetry. For me, I'm not hugely into poetry, so it makes it more appealing. I'm curious to see the pumpkin carving. I just might have to look at this one. It's really too bad about the errors, though. That always brings a book down just a bit. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I really struggle reading poetry. With the errors you mentioned it makes it worse, though Liked the theme.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Thanks all of you for taking the time to read my review and share your thoughts!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Poetry has always been my thing. Now this is even more interesting since it covers topics that are very important to me. Despite the errors, i would still consider reading this. Thank you for the good review.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

fredrick otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 08:00 Poetry has always been my thing. Now this is even more interesting since it covers topics that are very important to me. Despite the errors, i would still consider reading this. Thank you for the good review.
I am glad that this book appeals to you. I hope you get a chance to read it soon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book and the review. Much appreciated.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

In short it is somehow like a pictorial? It is genius how the author combined various aspects to bring an idea like this to life. It is sad though that it did not under go professional editing before being put out there. Based on your review this had great potential, it still does.Thanks
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”