Official Review: Concept by Pete Marchesi

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Concept by Pete Marchesi

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Concept" by Pete Marchesi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Using free-verse poetry, Concept by Pete Marchesi explores themes that are relevant in today’s world.

The collection contains a range of musings and concepts that include money, movement, democracy, psychiatry, words, family, war and rationality. The story is first set in a restaurant where the first concepts of the collection appear. The topics of death and tragedy are discussed. The poet also reflects on his relationship with his nephew who is unwell and is mostly unable to reach the author because of the constraints placed upon him. He also tells of his relationship with his family and his thoughts on many critical matters.

The range of topics discussed by the author creates a surprising element in the collection. As I turned each page, I did not know what to expect as the concepts are so diverse. From talking about the law, the poet moves on to speak about spirituality and gives his take on religious matters. This makes the composition thrilling and interesting. The poet’s viewpoint is also unique. For instance, he reflects on his stay at a psychiatric hospital and gives his opinion of similar organizations.

The collection is short yet very powerful. The poet uses phrases that elicit surprise and which are also striking. He explores each concept and ponders on the suffering of mankind because of the abuse of power by fellow men. He includes the impact of the sense of “tribe” instead of citizenship governed by law. The feelings that the poet introduces in his poetry makes the compositions emotionally impactful.

The setting of the collection is also interesting, especially at the beginning. The restaurant used as the background forms a place in which the poet can muse on the impact of tragedy and death after seeing its impact first-hand. This creates an added depth into the verses. The poet also reflects upon human suffering caused by violence in the same place. He pens his thoughts on the ownership of guns and why their availability to the common man creates the potential for danger.

I also liked that the collection fosters a sense of community where people care about each other. The author discusses the downsides of democracy and the law which are usually abused by many powerful people to achieve their own selfish goals. He speaks about the concept of community where people look out for each other and want the best for those around them.

Unfortunately, there are a few grammatical errors noticeable in the first part of the book. Still, Concept by Pete Marchesi is a thought-provoking read suitable for lovers of poetry especially those with an interest on matters relevant in America today. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Concept
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

After reading your review, I am a little unclear on exactly how this book is written. It doesn't sound like it is just a book of poetry, but you refer to the author as a poet several times. It sounds interesting, I'm just trying to get a better feel for what type of book this is.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The author certainly gives a wide array of poems. I don't think I have read a poem on democracy before. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the grammatical errors, this sounds like an inspiring collection of poetry. I love the setting behind this. Still, poetry is just not my forte. I'll keep this in mind for those rare times when the urge strikes, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Any piece of literature that is addressing the contemporary issues, i cannot avoid. I love this book of poetry and would go for it. Thanks for the review.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

i dont generally like reading poetic litterature. thanks for your good review though, i just don't think i will be reading this book any time soon. It's just not my type.
Martins Dimonye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Martins Dimonye »

I personally like reading poetry literature alone but a mix up some times create confusion. May be the writer is a beginner and has to encouraged. To me this is good work.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

This book appears to be very practical and relate-able.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Poems are one of the best forms of literature. The finesse put into coming up with a master piece is timeless and one should really know the craft to hack it off. Nice review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I find it interesting that Marchesi uses an actual story as a vehicle for his poetry. I can imagine it working in my mind, but I wonder how it would actually come across if I were to read it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”