Official Review: A World Diverse 11 by David Edmond

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: A World Diverse 11 by David Edmond

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A World Diverse 11" by David Edmond.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has often been said that most authors do their best work when they write from experience. By expressing real-life events, readers are given a gift through words when a writer lays bare his or her story on paper. That is what you will find in the pages of David Edmond's book A World Diverse II where he draws in the audience with his concise use of vocabulary to speak about everyday life events we may encounter.

Beginning with a brief introduction followed by a poem entitled "If" it is quite apparent that Mr. Edmond can take a small word and expand it out into a deeper, spiritual meaning that displays his talent of saying a lot with just a few lines. Section two is titled the Working Life, and the writing that follows involves the theme that life is about others helping us and teaching us how to handle situations to which we owe them gratitude. In the third segment, readers will find the subject changes to paying honor to those who have served in the military. It's a good reminder that the price for our freedom cost others their lives.

The next portion, and probably the most cathartic for the author is about how he handled the death of his wife. I think this section was the one that most resonated with me especially in one poem where he spoke about the positive and negative sides to silence. When a person needs rest from a hectic day, solitude is welcome, but when a loved one is suddenly gone, the idea of being alone brings on a whole different meaning. This part of the book was the most heartfelt and had the most writing. I think that for those who are in the process of grieving, this author's words will be of great comfort as he has walked that path.

Finally, he concludes with a tribute to two close friends he fondly pays homage to by highlighting their caring natures and reflects upon their actions that their loved ones and communities have been blessed to reap.

I don't usually choose to read poems because I cannot always catch the meaning of what the author is trying to say. Trying to solve a puzzle or looking for a hidden meaning can prove to be exasperating and not enjoyable. That is not the case with this. Everything is written in a straightforward, everyday talk tone so that the point of each passage is picked up quite quickly, and that is refreshing for this genre.

The title makes it clear that this is the second volume of the series. Because I have not read the first book, I can only give advice on this title. But, it seemed like something was missing. Even with all the pleasure I found in reading the various poems, I felt like more should have been included or that the first book and the second book should have been merged into one. I thought by the end like there was more to be said and it wasn't finished yet. For that reason, I am giving this a 3 out of 4 stars. This author is talented, and I think for those who like poems they will find this to be a short time investment but much wisdom gained. I would suggest that for those, who like me, think this type of book isn't interesting, to give it a try and you might be surprised.

I found only one error in the entire text, so it would seem that this book has been professionally edited.

A World Diverse 11
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

"Experience isn't what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.

Aldous Huxley"

David Edmond writing from experience, has given this book a whole new meaning; talking about how to handle life when faced with challenges. I will give this book a try soon. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Like you, I sometimes have a hard time catching the deeper meaning behind poetry. So, I'm glad that this one is written in more clearer terms. I can't imagine losing my husband, and I have a feeling the poetry in that section would be quite emotional. Thanks for the review, but I think I'm going to skip this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 07:28 Like you, I sometimes have a hard time catching the deeper meaning behind poetry. So, I'm glad that this one is written in more clearer terms. I can't imagine losing my husband, and I have a feeling the poetry in that section would be quite
emotional. Thanks for the review, but I think I'm going to skip this
one for now.

Yes, he really did capture his feelings and put them to paper while he was grieving. Thank you for reading my review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

T_stone wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 01:59 "Experience isn't what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.

Aldous Huxley"

David Edmond writing from experience, has given this book a whole new meaning; talking about how to handle life when faced with challenges. I will give this book a try soon. Thanks for the review.
It was a good one. I was glad to have come across it just to expand my poetry horizons. Thanks for reading my review! 😊
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This definitely sounds like a really sincere read, which I always appreciate. I'm not a huge fan of poems myself, but I do enjoy them from time to time. I'm certainly intrigued by this work and will try to pick up a copy soon. Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also reviewed this book, but I found more than one error. I'm glad that the author corrected the previously noted slips.

I was also touched by David's musings, particularly about his wife's illness and her eventual demise. I was more stingy with my rating, though.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”