Official Review: A World Diverse 11 by David Edmond

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: A World Diverse 11 by David Edmond

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A World Diverse 11" by David Edmond.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A World Diverse II: See Comes Between (B) and (D) is the second in a series of collections of poems written by David Edmond. He started writing poetry well into his retirement years as a therapeutic diversion after his second wife died of the complications of Parkinson’s Disease. His career spanned 35 years working with the Royal Canadian Air Force mainly in the physical education and recreation field, allowing him to interact with various nationalities and travel all over Canada. He has since remarried and continues to write inspired lines about his life and work experiences.

This second collection is divided into four parts. In “Introduction,” he includes “If” where he expounds on his definition of a full life. In “The Working Life,” there are three poems that discuss career choices. Five pieces come in “Guardians of Our Freedom” where he muses about wars and those who are in the forefront. The aptly-titled longest section, “Healing the Mind, Body and Soul,” contains thirteen poems. He ends with two odes honoring two special people. There are two dozen poems in all in this book.

Edmond writes his poetry in free verse. From Wikipedia, “Free verse is an open form of poetry. It does not use consistent meter patterns, rhyme, or any other musical pattern.” He also does not use a lot of metaphors; there is not much room for confusing his intended meaning. A reader will find his work easy to read and understand.

Seven of the poems stood out for me for their messages and the feelings evoked. “If” talks about acting upon one’s “ifs” in life to accomplish what one desires. “Our Soldiers” honors those who fight for our freedoms but also portrays how the rules of war have changed; in reality, there are no more rules. Ways of coping with life’s adversities are discussed in “Silence” and “Pet Sense”; the former urges one to have moments of silence for relaxing the mind and body, and the latter extols the benefits of having pets. “The Nature of Life” is a touching prayer to God who provides in this life and rewards in the next. A poem for his late wife, “I Was There,” relates their joint journey from their wedding day to the discovery of her illness up to her sad demise. “They Live On” is about our departed loved ones’ memories that linger and inspire.

I appreciate Edmond’s pieces that honor the Canadian war heroes who survive the wars. He acknowledges that the dead heroes are fittingly feted and recognized but feels that those who survive to battle PTSD and physical disabilities should be given more benefits and support. He singles out the parliamentarians as to blame for the sad plight of these war survivors. These soldiers and their kin will find these poems uplifting.

I also like his poems about his caregiving experiences – the power of ‘til-death-do-us-part love, the cherished memories, the physical, emotional, and mental challenges, etc. He ended up with depression when his wife died; his road to recovery is a story of faith and hope that will inspire those similarly situated.

Edmond’s verses all have messages for the reader, but five of the poems feel disjointed somehow; some stanzas seem to be misplaced. Three pieces pay tribute to people whom the reader knows little about, making them less impactful. A short background about Edmond’s relationships with these characters would enrich these verses. “Thank You Canada” seems to be mistitled; “Canada Thanks You” seems more apropos as the poem talks about soldiers fighting for the country. “Time and Circumstance” includes the story of two brothers which does not seem in line with the title. Four poems need a background of Canadian goings-on to be thoroughly appreciated.

I read the official OBC reviews for the first and third books; both were awarded perfect ratings, and both were found superbly edited. I feel bad being the odd one out, but this second book has quite a few typos (I read the PDF version) that detracted from my reading enjoyment. The errors mainly concern punctuation and misused words. The book’s title, See is Between (B) and (D), also does not strike a chord with me. Thus, while I hate to disappoint the poet, I award this poetry collection 2 out of 4 stars because of the editing and other flaws discussed earlier.

Those who struggle with ambiguous messages in flowery verses will find the poems in this book very accessible. Conversely, those who enjoy the mystery in poetry may find this collection too simple for their taste. But the pieces resonate with the author’s faith in the Almighty, his loving concern for his fellow humans, especially the underprivileged, and his appreciation of life and its ups and downs. Indeed, if one looks with eyes of hope, one can see the beauty of this world diverse.

A World Diverse 11
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Edmond’s verses all have messages for the reader, but five of the poems feel disjointed somehow; some stanzas seem to be misplaced. Three pieces pay tribute to people whom the reader knows little about, making them less impactful.
Combined with the editing issues, I'll probably pass on this one. It's a shame this book wasn't executed as well as the others in the series. Thanks for your honest review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The book’s title, See is Between (B) and (D), also does not strike a chord with me.
Neither does it strike a chord with me. I am glad you were able to find some of the poems beautiful and enjoyable. However, I am going to pass this one. Your review was well-organized and succinctly brought out the good and the bad of this book.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

While generally quite appreciative of good poetry I can only take it in small doses. I'm afraid a whole anthology may be a bit too much for me so I'll probably not try this book. I appreciate your honesty in the review, nevertheless, and am sure it will be enjoyed by many.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 07:21
Edmond’s verses all have messages for the reader, but five of the poems feel disjointed somehow; some stanzas seem to be misplaced. Three pieces pay tribute to people whom the reader knows little about, making them less impactful.
Combined with the editing issues, I'll probably pass on this one. It's a shame this book wasn't executed as well as the others in the series. Thanks for your honest review.
This is a short book of only 74 pages. I read everything three times just in case I was missing the magic that the other two reviewers experienced.

Thanks for visiting!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I know nothing about poetry, so when I read it - it all sounds amazing! I also know zip about Canadian goings-on, so this book would probably be a total waste on me. I'm 0 for 2 on this one.
Loved your review though, as always :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 08:03
The book’s title, See is Between (B) and (D), also does not strike a chord with me.
Neither does it strike a chord with me. I am glad you were able to find some of the poems beautiful and enjoyable. However, I am going to pass this one. Your review was well-organized and succinctly brought out the good and the bad of this book.
Thanks for the affirmation, Debjani Ghosh! I hope the poet will not be too unhappy with my assessment.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Well, as devil's advocate, I found the 'Sea is Between (B) and (D)' a clever opener for a work of poetry. I doubt I have ever read a whole anthology before, particularly by the same author, so probably won't pursue this one. However, the diversity of subject matter- subtly related- would likely be appealing to poetry-lovers, so great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry is just not my forte. So I would not enjoy this collection whether it rhymed, was in meter, or was free verse. Sorry you didn't like this one. Hope your next one is better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sonya01 wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:34 While generally quite appreciative of good poetry I can only take it in small doses. I'm afraid a whole anthology may be a bit too much for me so I'll probably not try this book. I appreciate your honesty in the review, nevertheless, and am sure it will be enjoyed by many.
Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts. The poems in the book aren't taxing at all. Short and simple seems to be the poet's style.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 15:04 I know nothing about poetry, so when I read it - it all sounds amazing! I also know zip about Canadian goings-on, so this book would probably be a total waste on me. I'm 0 for 2 on this one.
Loved your review though, as always :)
Hi there, elephant lover! I see a poem as a song without the music; you can sing it any way you want. So I'm sure you have a favorite or two.

Thanks for your sweet words, as always. 💓
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 23:56 Well, as devil's advocate, I found the 'Sea is Between (B) and (D)' a clever opener for a work of poetry. I doubt I have ever read a whole anthology before, particularly by the same author, so probably won't pursue this one. However, the diversity of subject matter- subtly related- would likely be appealing to poetry-lovers, so great review!
The author draws inspiration from his own experiences in the military and as caregiver to his wife. Facing death made him more cognizant of the beauty of life here and beyond.

I'm sure Edmond is happy that you find his title clever.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 19:10 Poetry is just not my forte. So I would not enjoy this collection whether it rhymed, was in meter, or was free verse. Sorry you didn't like this one. Hope your next one is better.
I'm a wannabe poet myself. I usually write verses for people celebrating milestones; I call such "occasion poetry."

Thanks for visiting, Sarah!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It's not good when poetry is so complex it's baffling but for my money it still has to be somehow poetic. It's great that the author paid tribute to war heroes and honoured his love for his wife. Thanks for an insightful review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 08:28 It's not good when poetry is so complex it's baffling but for my money it still has to be somehow poetic. It's great that the author paid tribute to war heroes and honoured his love for his wife. Thanks for an insightful review!
Poetry for me also needs that magical touch to put me under its spell. Thanks for your time and thoughts, Alice!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”