Official Review: the heart’s viceroy

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: the heart’s viceroy

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "the heart’s viceroy" by R. Tyrel London.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Heart’s Viceroy is a collection of poems by R. Tyrel London. The themes of these poems vary diversely, covering subjects like love and life, to the tough times of depression and loss. The writer hasn’t contained his poems to a certain genre. He keeps jumping from one topic to another. In one, he describes the beauty of being alone, while in the other, he discusses his loneliness. Some poems are busy capturing the essence of love and motivating the person to discover their self-worth. Other poems depict the poet in the tumultuous times of his life, the things that hurt him momentarily and the ones that left deep scars. One poem focuses on the grave things that need to be addressed in life, while another describes the simple joy of experiencing the beauty of the rain.

The fact that these poems are about such simple things in life, things that everyone has been through at one point in their life or another, is what makes it so good and relevant. People who have been through bad times will find their thoughts resonating in the lines of these poems. However, this doesn’t mean that these poems are just about depressing things. For people who haven’t had the misfortune of any sorts (fingers crossed for you guys, try to keep it that way!), there are beautiful poems that’ll make them rejoice and appreciate the beauty that their life is. This will also help the happy people in understanding the situations that the other half goes through. So, that’s a win-win for everyone.

My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to everyone who is into reading poetry. For those who aren’t, this is a good book to start! Right from the first poem, it exhibits a lot of heart and soul. The writing style varies from being simple enough like asserting a statement, to the style used by the poets of bygone eras. The poems fluctuate from being a two or a four-line thing to stretching to a page or two. It’s like they are in sync with the emotions they are trying to convey. There is a fluency with which the writer relays his thoughts to the reader. He hits all the right chords and says all the right things. It’s like he has written what was already there in your head.

There are a plethora of lines in this poem that are so well-written that you could get them tattooed, or put up as a status update or as a caption of your pictures on Instagram, at least. The insight which the writer has displayed in the description of various things is quite remarkable. In a line, he describes death to be “clumsy like the life it followed”. A description of lost love takes the form of this line: “I’d like to think that given the chance, I’m one of the mistakes you’d repeat.”

Before anyone decides to pick this book, they should perhaps prepare themselves to delve into the human emotions in one of their most subtle yet deepest forms. There is a transparency with which Tyrel London expresses his thoughts in his poems and a wholesomeness in his idea of life. All the good, the bad, the phenomenal, and the mundane finds its place within the lines of his poems.

the heart’s viceroy
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry is such a cathartic experience. I'm glad this collection is so broad and so well done. Still, poetry is just not my forte. I think I'll pass, but I'm glad that you enjoyed these poems.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I would love to read this poetry book, it sounds great and I've always been a fan of poetry. And also, the fact the book doesn't have a specific theme it makes it even better. Because, you'll read a lot of different things, that talks about different feelings.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”