Official Review: Flecks of Red by Melyssa A Harmon

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Official Review: Flecks of Red by Melyssa A Harmon

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flecks of Red" by Melyssa A Harmon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flecks of Red is a poetry anthology on mental illness. It is a brainchild of former music journalist Melyssa A. Harmon. It comprises a unique collection of poetry that addresses the story and stigma of mental illness. The poems address a wide range of mental disorder which includes anxiety, depression, seasonal effective disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia and post-traumatic stress disorders. This is a drama and poetry book published in 2018.

Eden Kuaea wrote one poem. Doctors diagnosed her with a bipolar mood disorder and acute anxiety disorders in her early twenties. She has stated that she struggled with issues of addiction. These experiences prompted her to write a poem with the title ‘The Better Half.’ She wrote, ‘I’m worthless but you give me purpose. You help me live when I don’t know how to breathe. You make me nervous and make me think. You’re the best part of my anxiety.’

This is one of the finest poetry books I have read. The poets have given a brief autobiography of themselves and the incidence that led them to write the poems. Each poet has his own style of writing. While some are slanted, others have been written vertically. This adds variety to the book. The author has highlighted the title of the poems in black to make them visible for readers. There is an excellent use of the literal devices with personification mostly used. The expressions used are within the comprehension of an average reader. The author has used a table of contents to guide readers. Few vocabularies will need the dictionary. Readers will read with confidence as there are no spelling or grammatical errors. I recommend this book to literature students and individuals who have experienced any form of mental disorder. Individuals who have not experienced mental disorders may not read this book as the poems may sound meaningless to them.

However, I realized that the poems had no defined spacing. Some poems are too close, others are far apart. I recommend the author uses defined spacing so her book will look professional.

This compilation by Melyssa A. Harmon is excellent. The limitation above is minor. I hope she will fix this when writing the next edition of this book. I hope she will produce more compilation on other subject areas. I, therefore, rate Flecks of Red by Melyssa A. Harmon 4 out of 4 stars.

Flecks of Red
View: on Bookshelves

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thank you for your review! The poems in this book will be interesting to read since all of the poets have one thing in common-mental illness. I'm sure writing poems can be a good outlet for expressing complicated feelings.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

The book seems to have a clear theme even if the spacing is not so clear. The topic is very relevant in today's society so I would be most interested in reading this book in the future.

I liked that you have used an extract from a poem in your example as it helps me gauge the type of language to expect.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I've never read poetry that was written by a person while they were suffering from a mental illness (at least not that I'm aware of). I would be curious to read this just to see if I can even understand anything they were saying when they wrote these poems. I would also be curious to read this to see if the poems look any different from other poems I've read from people who were not suffering from any mental illness.
:character-ariel:
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I have been waiting to read something like this. Thank you for this beautiful review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”