Official Review: Rolling Through Teens by Mary Settle

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Rolling Through Teens by Mary Settle

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rolling Through Teens" by Mary Settle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rolling Through Teens is an inspirational collection of poetry portrayed from the unique perspective of life in a wheelchair by author Mary Settle. The book is divided into three parts which include prayers and reflections on faith in God, hopes and dreams, family relationships, and the challenges of living with cerebral palsy. Featuring an eclectic collection of poems with titles such as Longing, The Black Lamb, Big Camo Wheelchair, and A Piece of Home, the young author conveys her thoughts with gratitude, grace, and strength.

I tend to be selective when it comes to reading poetry. While I understand that writing poems is a form of therapeutic expression, I've encountered more than a few poetry books that were rife with self-pity. That was certainly not the case with this touching collection. The author's writing style was clear and purposeful. She shared from the heart which was reflected by the sincerity of her words.

What I most enjoyed about this book was the author's voice of gratitude, which I found exceptional in light of her physical challenges. At the same time, her writing reflected honesty and transparency. I was also impressed by the author's maturity concerning the many obstacles she's faced in her young life. Though the entire collection conveyed her strong faith in God, it was especially apparent in the first section of the book, Cries of a Young Girl's Heart. My favorite poem was called Where Are You? and was written from the perspective of God speaking lovingly to the reader. There were also several endearing poems expressing her devotion to her siblings. Many of the heartfelt poems in this collection brought tears to my eyes.

Poetry books often include the author's muse or inspiration, and I would have liked to have seen the addition of a preface or introduction that featured more details about the author's background and how she came to write the collection. Though the book's cover and some of the poems referenced her wheelchair, mentioning the author's cerebral palsy would have added clarity for the readers.

I noted a single grammatical error, and I'm pleased to rate this inspirational collection 4 out of 4 stars. While I would recommend this book to fans of inspirational poetry, I believe it will also appeal to those who are overcoming difficult challenges. It is appropriate for adolescents, as well. Additionally, readers who are struggling with debilitating illnesses will appreciate the book.

Rolling Through Teens
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bluegirl53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1077

Post by Bluegirl53 »

Great book I will read it all when I get home I love what I have read so far
peterhead
Currently Reading: Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by peterhead »

The book contains moral and caution no matter what level we are the writer really stood with God in faith through her periods,i love the poems as it passes strong message the book is really a good gem.
peterhead
Currently Reading: Keep on Sailing the Wine Dark Sea
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by peterhead »

The book contains moral and caution no matter what level we are the writer really stood with God in faith through her periods,i love the poems as it passes strong message the book is really a good gem.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bluegirl53 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 07:30 Great book I will read it all when I get home I love what I have read so far
Thank you. I hope you enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

peterhead wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 10:24 The book contains moral and caution no matter what level we are the writer really stood with God in faith through her periods,i love the poems as it passes strong message the book is really a good gem.
Thank you for your comment.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

How beautiful that the young author could turn his struggles into such a beautiful work of art. I agree that in her case, an introduction would be appropriate. It's always nice to know where the inspiration for a poet's poems comes from. Wonderful review as always.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 13:52 How beautiful that the young author could turn his struggles into such a beautiful work of art. I agree that in her case, an introduction would be appropriate. It's always nice to know where the inspiration for a poet's poems comes from. Wonderful review as always.
I thought so, too. Thank you for your comment.
Cassandra Keeney
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Sociopath
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-keeney.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Cassandra Keeney »

This collection of poetry sounds both beautiful and inspirational. You’ve written a lovely review, and it makes me want to read it. I agree that in poetry, it is interesting to read what the author’s muse was, as it helps to gain a deeper understanding.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.”
-W Somerset Maugham
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cassandra Keeney wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 14:39 This collection of poetry sounds both beautiful and inspirational. You’ve written a lovely review, and it makes me want to read it. I agree that in poetry, it is interesting to read what the author’s muse was, as it helps to gain a deeper understanding.
Thank you, Cassandra. Hope you enjoy it!
jjtinx1026
Currently Reading: The Resurrection Stones
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by jjtinx1026 »

Rolling through Teens by Mary Seetle is a poetry full of prayers and reflections on faith in God, hopes and dreams, family relationships, and the challenges of living with cerebral palsy, an it educate on how maturity when facing challenges
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

jjtinx1026 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 21:23 Rolling through Teens by Mary Seetle is a poetry full of prayers and reflections on faith in God, hopes and dreams, family relationships, and the challenges of living with cerebral palsy, an it educate on how maturity when facing challenges
Thank you for your comment.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It's a lovely review of a lovely and inspirational collection of poems. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really don't like the title, but I'll still give this book a try. Thank you for this review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 23:32 It's a lovely review of a lovely and inspirational collection of poems. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review!
Thank you. Hope you enjoy the book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”