Official Review: My Favorite Religious Poem

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: My Favorite Religious Poem

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Favorite Religious Poem" by Wayne Dunaway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wayne Dunaway has been writing poetry over the years and decided to compile his best in this book that is named My Favorite Religious Poems. The Killion Group Inc. was involved in the cover design and interior layout of the book. Mr Dunaway is a minister and elder in his local church and has written more material other than poetry, which apparently he enjoys doing.

The author divides the book into sections addressing six major themes; The Son of Man, Forgiveness, encouragement, suffering, faith and Christian growth. Central to all these themes is, of course, The Rock of Ages around whom all these themes circle about. Under these themes are several poems totalling about seventy in number, each with its own heading according to the content within.

They are all reflections of things that a Christian learns from the Bible, from the author’s experience and from observing the goings on around us in the world. For instance, when reading the contents I spotted A Note About How I Vote. At first, I thought it is political but upon reading it proved otherwise: -“I vote for the one who is qualified. I vote for the one who was crucified.” This is a juxtaposition of what many spend time discussing in politics and the author’s divine inclination. My favourite happens to be Oh Wretched Man That I Am! It expresses the desire for most of us to do right by ‘The Book’ but always finding ourselves falling short of what is expected of us, yet we are sustained by forgiveness/grace. Don’t Blame The Truck! Is another example that shows that if mankind would only have a change of heart and address the differences amongst his kind, there wouldn’t be unnecessary strife between individuals and nations.

The poems are mostly brief with anywhere between two to six or more stanzas whereby most are quatrains and others couplets. Some can even be considered to be sonnets due to their repetitive lines that seem like choruses. The author uses scripture after each poem to relate it to the Bible, making the book a suitable tool for devotion or study. There isn’t much not to like about the book, most of the poems are straightforward and simple to understand. I can see myself quoting one or two from the book when I decide to break into a sermon. I don’t know too much about poetry to break it down further than I already have in technical terms.

I never came across any spelling or grammatical errors in the book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to the Christian faithful who enjoy poetry as well as poetry lovers in general who wouldn’t mind one more book in their collection.

My Favorite Religious Poem
View: on Bookshelves

Like KitabuKitamu's review? Post a comment saying so!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a nice compilation of peoms. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Bamigboye1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bamigboye1 »

It is a nice poem love to read more
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:49 This is a nice compilation of peoms. Thanks for the review
Bamigboye1 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 14:37 It is a nice poem love to read more
Thanks for passing through, happy reading!
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I've been having bad experiences with compilation of poems recently so Im looking forward to reading this and have a pleasant time. Thanks
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”