Official Review: A World Diverse 111 by David Edmond

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: A World Diverse 111 by David Edmond

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A World Diverse 111" by David Edmond.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A World Diverse III: In Need of Help by David Edmond is a book of poetry divided into three distinct sections that work together to paint a picture of the current state of society and where the world is headed. The first section explicitly points out the responsibility people have toward one another and develops the idea that life is largely what you make of it. In the second section, Edmond further delves into the notion that life is finite by addressing the feelings people have after losing someone they love. This part of the book brings to light the emotions behind grief and the notion of what one leaves behind after death. The final section of poems discusses the loss of human interaction in today’s world—largely due to the development of technology—and charges everyone with the task of rebuilding peace and respect among all people.

While ideas such as diversity, loss and community certainly have the ability to appeal to everyone, there were many secondary discussions that I imagine will resonate with different people. For my part, I especially appreciated the call to reach across racial, religious and political lines that have been unjustly drawn. Having grown up in the early 90s, I also enjoyed the discussion of technological advancement which is something that really skyrocketed when I was a kid.

This book is the third in a series of volumes of poetry, and while I haven’t read the first two I can speak favorably of this third installment. The collection of poetry was well-organized and clearly carefully selected as all poems fit quite well with one another, and there was an evident progression throughout the book. The poems were also thoroughly edited—I only found one small typo.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as I feel that the author’s attention to detail and his honest, provocative poems deserve a perfect score. Personally, I like poems with a bit more complex and ambiguous language, but I don’t feel it would be fair to deduct a star for personal preference in style. For those of you who do lean towards sincere, easy-to-understand poetry, then this collection is for you. The language is not difficult to follow, and the metaphors used are simple so that anyone can understand them. Many of the poems are quite didactic in nature, and others are open expressions of first-hand emotions, so keep all of that in mind when considering whether this type of poetry appeals to you. Again, I appreciate a less direct tone, but I can see how others would prefer this sort of writing.

Whatever your stylistic inclinations, A World Diverse III: In Need of Help is sure to raise interesting discussions and provoke thought with any reader. The topics therein are worth considering, and it is certainly evident to see that Edmond is writing from the heart.

A World Diverse 111
View: on Bookshelves

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I think books of poetry have the ability to become haphazard and confusing if not put together comprehensively. I'm glad the author took the time to organise it so well.
Also, I'm speaking like I know anything about poetry. I don't. :lol2:
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 02:59 I think books of poetry have the ability to become haphazard and confusing if not put together comprehensively. I'm glad the author took the time to organise it so well.
Also, I'm speaking like I know anything about poetry. I don't. :lol2:
Great review!
You're quite right. There is something to be said for a collection of poems that has been carefully curated. :) Thanks so much!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I've stopped reading poetry for awhile after reviewing a couple that were disappointing. It sounds like this one is definitely worth the read though. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

AmySmiles wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 07:32 I've stopped reading poetry for awhile after reviewing a couple that were disappointing. It sounds like this one is definitely worth the read though. Thanks for the review.
I understand where you're coming from. My favorite poetry collection that I've reviewed on here so far was actually "Intermittent Vexation." It's a good one to check out. Thanks for commenting!
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

Hello @Camille, I find you last two paragraph quite compelling. I think I would learn a lot from reading your reviews. Nice job
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Nditah wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 09:34 Hello @Camille, I find you last two paragraph quite compelling. I think I would learn a lot from reading your reviews. Nice job
Thank you so much! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for your future reviews as well. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I'm just a bit too straightforward for poetry; it doesn't really appeal to me. I do like the idea behind this set of poems though. I'd be interested to see what the author has to say about the world and where we are headed. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I do like the more direct poetry than the ambiguous ones. This collection sounds promising. Thanks for your review.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 14:44 I think I'm just a bit too straightforward for poetry; it doesn't really appeal to me. I do like the idea behind this set of poems though. I'd be interested to see what the author has to say about the world and where we are headed. Thanks for the review.
Honestly, I think this collection would appeal to you then. For me, it was lacking in that poetical complexity I find so delicious—not that I don't appreciate straightforward at times as well. You might enjoy this one though because it almost reads like prose in tone and style. Thanks for your comment! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

melissy370 wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 15:39 I do like the more direct poetry than the ambiguous ones. This collection sounds promising. Thanks for your review.
Then this collection is perfect for you! Thanks for commenting. :)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

The topics covered by this collection appeal to me. I feel I have a good sense of the book from your review. I prefer a bit of ambiguity myself but still may give this one a shot for the subject matter and direct message. Thanks for the great review. I really enjoy your writing style. Friendly but decisive, too.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Eva Darrington wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 18:12 The topics covered by this collection appeal to me. I feel I have a good sense of the book from your review. I prefer a bit of ambiguity myself but still may give this one a shot for the subject matter and direct message. Thanks for the great review. I really enjoy your writing style. Friendly but decisive, too.
Thank you so much, Eva! If you do give the book a shot, I'd love to know what you think. Thanks for reading my review and commenting. :)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your well-written review. My first remarkable writing venture was when I was still in Grade 5 when I joined and unexpectedly won a poetry-writing contest. However, I think such a feat was merely out of a one-time necessity and not really having that more constant nature of pure talent. It's, therefore, amazing for an author to be able to come up with several volumes of poems for a portfolio. I also agree with you that anything with an undeniable work quality shouldn't be readily set aside and trampled on because of our initial biases and prejudices.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Espie wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 03:08 Thank you for your well-written review. My first remarkable writing venture was when I was still in Grade 5 when I joined and unexpectedly won a poetry-writing contest. However, I think such a feat was merely out of a one-time necessity and not really having that more constant nature of pure talent. It's, therefore, amazing for an author to be able to come up with several volumes of poems for a portfolio. I also agree with you that anything with an undeniable work quality shouldn't be readily set aside and trampled on because of our initial biases and prejudices.
Thank you, Espie! I agree that being able to find inspiration to write collections of poetry is quite a gift. I love the story of your first writing experience, a moment to be treasured forever. Thank you for reading my review and for your insightful comment.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”