Official Review: The Sandpiper's Spell by Tom Pearson

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Re: Official Review: The Sandpiper's Spell by Tom Pearson

Post by JR Mercier »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 09:07 You did a brilliant job bringing out the strengths and highlights of this book, but since I'm not a poetry reader, I think I'll pass. Thanks for your review though - I enjoyed reading it :)
Thank you for reading and commenting even though poetry isn't for you. :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

KarinaBordas wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:25 The Sandpiper's Spell seems to be a poetic catharsis of Tom Pearson's life! Your notation of the free verse mirroring the non-linear path is a unique and beautiful description of the poetry. I look forward to exploring this piece!
Usually I am not a poetry person but there was a kind of magic to this book that I absolutely loved. Hope you enjoy it too.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I just want to appreciate the title first, it is so eye catching and intriguing. I have a feeling that some of the poems in this book are funny and wild, just like an innocent child. And maybe there are also those kind of poem that makes you weep, and grip your grandpa's armchair. But whatever kind poems, whatever theme, everything is written inside that book seems beautiful and relatable.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I usually struggle with poetry in English, because it isn't my first language and there's something really hard to grasp about poetic expression in a second language for me.
However, your review is amazing and the book definitely seems interesting so I'll give it a try. You show an outstanding amount of cultural and literary knowledge in your comments and you wrote a very compelling review, even when poetry might be harder to review than novels.
The author's influences are very interesting. Thanks for an amazing review.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! Not my usual type of book to read, but it will be on my maybe shelf due to your positive remarks.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 13:49 I just want to appreciate the title first, it is so eye catching and intriguing. I have a feeling that some of the poems in this book are funny and wild, just like an innocent child. And maybe there are also those kind of poem that makes you weep, and grip your grandpa's armchair. But whatever kind poems, whatever theme, everything is written inside that book seems beautiful and relatable.
You hit the nail right on the head. This is honestly such a great poetry book and it makes you FEEL. Thank you for such an insightful comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Lunastella wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 19:34 I usually struggle with poetry in English, because it isn't my first language and there's something really hard to grasp about poetic expression in a second language for me.
However, your review is amazing and the book definitely seems interesting so I'll give it a try. You show an outstanding amount of cultural and literary knowledge in your comments and you wrote a very compelling review, even when poetry might be harder to review than novels.
The author's influences are very interesting. Thanks for an amazing review.
Aww! You might be my favourite comment ever! That is honestly the best compliment. And I can't believe English isn't your first language! Your writing is flawless! THAT is literary knowledge. Thank you for such a wonderful comment. :tiphat: :oops:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

fernsmom wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 23:32 Great review! Not my usual type of book to read, but it will be on my maybe shelf due to your positive remarks.
Thank you so much for trusting in my opinion and I hope you enjoy this one. :tiphat:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

From your review, the book really seems to have covered diverse topics. I had always been a fan of poetry, but in recent years, I have read fewer and fewer poetry books. This one might rekindle my love. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a heart feel read. Poetry can be enjoyed to the heart's content if one knows the sweetness of life. Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

JR Mercier wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 07:33 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sandpiper's Spell" by Tom Pearson.]

I loved the diversity in The Sandpiper’s Spell. Not only the setting or Tom Pearson’s heritage but the diversity in the poems. The mood, tone and theme shift, as well as the mix of Greek mythology and the poet’s life growing up, all lends to an immersive work that tugs at the reader's heartstrings. Most of the poem felt almost like a confessional or a journal entry which made it even more personal.
I am not one to really like reading poetry; however, you describe Pearson's poems as being very imaginative, descriptive, and personal. The mixture of his life and Greek mythology that "tugs at the reader's heartstrings" and the fact that the poem 'Creation' kept you transfixed and reading often, all makes me wonder about the poems.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Winning a poetry writing contest in grade five was my first milestone in writing. However, that was just a matter of necessity and not necessarily a flair that warranted significant results thereafter. With its stellar review rating in mind, I've just placed this piece in my Want to Read list. Thank you for your review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”