Official Review: Poems to Live by! by Cynthia Aholelei

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: Poems to Live by! by Cynthia Aholelei

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poems to Live by!" by Cynthia Aholelei.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poems to Live by! by Cynthia Aholelei is a book of poems surrounding a variety of issues. Each poem gives some insight into the author’s views and opinions of the world. It also contains advice on how to overcome drawbacks in life. This book provides a lot of positivity and encouragement to its readers. It’s a great reminder to take a step back and appreciate the beauty in life, even when circumstances get overwhelming.

Aholelei doesn’t merely focus on a single theme in her poetry collection. Rather, she encompasses a multitude of subjects. Some of the topics that the poems in this book center around are abuse, friendship, motherhood, and morality. Each poem has a candid quality to it, making it a very realistic reading experience. Aholelei uses many literary devices, including motifs, metaphors, and personalization, to help the reader embark on a journey with her. She takes us through many stages of life, both good and bad. The book comes full circle by the end, giving the reader a sense of hope for both the author's future and their own.

My favorite thing about this poetry collection was how raw and powerfully written these poems were. I felt like I was getting to know the author on a deeply personal level. Not only that, but I also found most of the poems relatable to my life. Aholelei touches on some very universal concepts. Some of her poems focused on the hardships and negative aspects in life. However, there were others that encouraged strength and resilience amidst the pain. There was a consistent balance through the entire book, which I really liked. The book was only 24 pages long, which made for a quick, yet profound read.

My main problem with this book was the grammatical mistakes that I caught as I was reading it. There were some cases where I was unsure whether the errors were intentional or not. However, I did find over ten instances of missing commas and typos. They were pretty distracting to me. For example, the first poem has a line that goes, “Captivating you victim, you attempt a fierce vicious bash to the face.” Mistakes such as these take away from such a thought-provoking piece of work. This poetry book would definitely benefit from another round of editing.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The poems have an undeniable quality to them. Yet, this may not be a good pick for those who are not a particular fan of poetry. This is a great book for anyone who is going through a rough time and needs some uplifting words. It’s also a good choice for those who enjoy poetry as well as inspirational books. Unfortunately, there were too many grammatical errors for me to give it a 4 out of 4 rating.

Poems to Live by!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shmuck_reader
Currently Reading: Oathbringer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shmuck-reader.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Shmuck_reader »

I love this review, straight forward and informative. Thank you for reviewing it! I'm going to go add it to my "want to read shelves."
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

You do a great job highlighting this book. I enjoy poetry, but grammatical errors in poetry annoy me more so than in other books. Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Grammatical errors seem more obvious in poetry, so I think the errors you mentioned would be distracting. Thanks for the excellent review.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

The topics this anthology has touched on are very significant ones. It would make quite an interesting read from what I have read here.

Thanks for this lovely opinion. I hope something is done about the errors!!!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Excellent review... Poems touch one sensitive topics. I hope the grammatical errors don't turn me off when I read it.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
obifemade
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers ((Musketeers Cycle)
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by obifemade »

Poem to leave by

This poem is so great that it can never receded from memory.

Am gonna recommend this poem to my spouse who love such an amazing poetry

Thank for the review
bubacarr sidibeh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bubacarr sidibeh »

thanks a lot. I have learn many things about life in this poem.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your honest review. It's good that you've found significance and value in it despite the errors you've noticed.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Reminds me of Chicken Soup books except these are poems. Although it sounds fun to read I'm glad it is short. I think a long book of poetry could be tiresome. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is great. Focusing on the hard side of life as well was a good idea. It seems that the typos are causing a great injustice to the book by reducing its rating. It will be good if the book is edited again so that the errors are minimized.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

Not fully sure how I would like to die to the grammatical errors. Perhaps with editing it would be a feasible read, but constantly mentally editing what I'm reading would make it far from enjoyable.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I'm glad each poem gives an insight into the author's view of the world.That makes the book practical.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”