Official Review: Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo" by Tom J Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boomer Rhymes Cuckoo as a Trump Hairdo by Tom Davis is a collection of humorous poems aimed at the Baby Boomer set. A wide range of topics is included, although I found toilet humor and senior citizen issues to be more prevalent. I would describe the subject matter as similar to the random observations comedian Jerry Seinfeld used to make on his TV show. For example, one poem ponders what it would be like if we had three arms instead of two, and another pokes fun at soap opera storylines.

The poetry is written in rhyme, although the scheme is not consistent. Some of the poems follow an AABB scheme, where the first two lines rhyme and the next two lines rhyme. Others have an inconsistent style - in “Mickey Gets Trumped,” the beginning four lines are in an ABBA style, the second stanza has an ABAB scheme, and the poem ends with two rhyming lines. The rhyming words are highlighted in red which I found a little distracting. Also, the phrasing and/or rhythm is sometimes awkward, in order to fit in a word that rhymes or a particular zinger.

It helps to keep an open mind and appreciate inappropriate observations to fully enjoy this quirky book. “TV Recliner” discusses the concept of an all-in-one TV recliner, toilet, and refrigerator. The neighbors complain about the odor and the Health Department intervenes with unusual recommendations. In “Siamese Double Date,” the Siamese twins enjoy dining out with two sisters. Should the restaurant charge the twins for two meals, even though they are sitting in the same chair? Some of the poems relate to issues concerning senior citizens, such as getting a senior discount and the “exercises” of using the TV remote and opening prescription bottles.

The author has a talent for crafting unique concepts. I admit there are some clever quips in this book, but I can’t say the poems are laugh-out-loud funny or very memorable. The title and cover is misleading as only the first poem, “Mickey Gets Trumped,” has anything to do with Donald Trump. In fact, very few of the poems have a political theme. Most of the pieces are short and the point is vague in a few instances.

This book has earned 3 out of 4 stars. Overall it makes for a pleasant, humorous diversion, although you might want to barf from the gross imagery. I would recommend the book to readers who enjoy offbeat poems and irreverent humor. Not all poetry is meant to contain beautiful imagery or intimate feelings from a person’s soul. In this case, it can just be about poking fun at the mundane aspects of life.

Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love irreverent poems, but the title seems like a misnomer - perhaps to gain more attention? Thanks for the review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A collection of humorous poems aimed at the Baby Boomer set sounds nice. The title and cover do sound misleading. Too bad the scheme was not consistent and that the poems aren't very memorable, but hopefully the clever quips made up for it. Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you liked it. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks gen_g and Gali! Gen_g - I agree that the title was probably a marketing ploy. Gali, the book was still a fun read.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Poking fun at some irrelevant aspects of life. That sounds 'just for fun'. Anyways, this should be something we would enjoy just like I did your review. Thank you!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I like poetry books, but I'm turned off by the marketing ploy the author tries to use. I'm so tired of authors trying to make their books out to be something they are not. I'm also not into gross imagery and things that might make me barf, so I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks for the great review though!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Although the title is somewhat misleading, I am glad you were still able to find the poems humorous. Thank you for an insightful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While I appreciate your candid review, gross imagery is not something I look for in poetry. Also, the title feels like clickbait to me.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, I was about ready to pass on this one just from the cover. So, I'm glad that you stated that there is only one poem about Trump and very few political pieces in total. It sounds interesting enough to take up an afternoon or so. Thanks again for a lovely review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It would seem the publishers wanted to capitalize on the political discourse revolving the President. Still, your descriptions of the poems amused me, and now I'm curious about what they say. Thanks for the review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This does sound like a quirky book! I’m glad to hear it’s not politically-themed, but I’m turned off by the gross imagery and irreverent humor. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my review and leave a comment! While the book only has one poem about Trump, it includes some a controversial reference to Obama.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I’m not so much into silly or irreverent humor. I imagine the book will definitely find an audience though. Thanks.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Ooh, it's not often that you see a poetry book that incorporates humour into its verses! XD The fact that the rhymes are highlighted in red seems a little strange to me--it kind of reminds me of a children's book, but perhaps that's supposed to be ironic?

Anyway, thank you for your in-depth critique of this book--I really enjoyed reading your review :)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”