Official Review: Journey of a Bedroom Poet

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Journey of a Bedroom Poet

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journey of a Bedroom Poet" by Catherine Napalai Faulder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Journey of a Bedroom Poet by Catherine Napalai Faulder is a delightful yet evocative collection of poems that gives us a glance at the poet’s life. The poignant offering takes us through life from the poet’s perspective while exploring pertinent themes in our modern world.

Been of mixed heritage, predominantly British- Thai has left Faulder on many occasions, a victim of separatism. In a world dictated by the physical and what can be seen on the outside, many have pestered her with endless questions concerning her heritage. In the poem Everyday Conversations, she lingers on this topic highlighting comments and queries she has had to endure. The poet also brings out the unhealthy relationships we foster with social media especially how many people look to social media to define who they are. Also included, are compositions that present Faulder’s struggles with depression, toxic relationships, weight gain and fear. In the end, she finds her own voice through her words.

The notion of living life according to my perspective spoke to me as a reader. Everything around us seems to scream at us of what we need to be and what we need to do to get there. The beauty of life is lost in the hustle and bustle of it all. In the poem Travelling Through the Soul, the poet brought to my mind the image of my soul as my home and how crucial it is to take care of the “home”. She states, “My soul is my home and I hear it singing lightly against the rainbows of life's wind and every life's wind.”

All the poems are encapsulated by a nudge of inspiration that is bound to enjoin every reader to live life as their own and on their own terms. The underlying tone was that of encouragement and reassurance. The collection contains an urge from the poet to the reader to step into the unknown and go after their dreams fiercely without restraint or regret. This is particularly felt in the poem, Your Visual. Faulder encouraged me to define who I am without much care to how the world perceives me. Additionally, I was reminded of the value of developing relationships with people who value me without asserting their own opinions of the person that they want me to be.

The images added a touch of humor without taking too much attention from the words. I basically loved the whole collection. The poems are well-designed, impelling and best of all, they are relevant. Journey of a Bedroom Poet is a must read for all lovers of poetry especially those who need a touch of inspiration. I rate the anthology 4 out of 4 stars.

Journey of a Bedroom Poet
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Yes! I'm all out for poets who don't equal poetry to a predominant love serenade in words. With the romance genre thoroughly wringed out, these other themes are gems. There is so much more to explore! So many other emotions and stories to tell with poetry.. I love, particularly, that this poet is able to fulfill personal yearnings and still resonate with her readers. I want this anthology so bad!!
Thanks for your beautiful review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Everything around us seems to scream at us of what we need to be and what we need to do to get there. The beauty of life is lost in the hustle and bustle of it all."
I completely agree, and your lovely review makes me really want to read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The poet also brings out the unhealthy relationships we foster with social media especially how many people look to social media to define who they are.
I find this to be so true! Sounds like a captivating collection!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Poetry seeks to recapture what gets lost in the hustle and bustle of life. Thank you for your splendid review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I must have my eyes examined. I read the title as "Journey of a Bedroom Post" and so expected a funny children's book.

Thank you for the touching review. Poetry is a language that hearts and souls can best understand.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can only imagine that her dual nature would leave her feeling almost left out from both worlds. It sounds like a great collection of poetry with interesting themes, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy poetry. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

Thank you for your review.

I have been looking for a collection of poetry regarding everyday themes versus romantic poetry.

I am glad that you liked this and based on your review I may add this to my reading list.

Thank you.
+254711641604
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by +254711641604 »

I completely agree, and your lovely review makes me really want to read this book. thank you
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

This is amazing, I haven't read a great, captivating collection of poems in awhile. I would love to read this one, thank you!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
WendyNorth
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth »

Your review makes this book sound really appealing! I love poetry that is touched by the many facets of life that can bring us to places of deeper expression. Thank you.
obifemade
Currently Reading: The Three Musketeers ((Musketeers Cycle)
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by obifemade »

One of the amazing part of this book; is a delightful yet evocative collection of poems that gives us a glance at the poet’s life. This is amazing.

A gonna get this and share with friend because I love to touch people life.

Thanks for the review
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

Definitely want to read this now! Your review is so in depth and thorough and very helpful. Keep up the good work!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A poetry book aspiring to enrich our life sounds uplifting. The book covers diverse themes such as depression, toxic relationships, addiction, and eating disorders. It is good that despite those heavy themes, the underlying tone is optimistic. I do not read the genre, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like the perfect fit for lovers of poetry. Not only does it sound interesting but also inspiring and relevant. Congrats to the author on a lovely review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”