Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by gen_g »

Cotwani wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 08:02 Thanks for an enlightening review. I got to learn about prose poetry. The poems seem to tackle heavy issues, which I wouldn't mind delving into.
I hope that you do enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by! (:
Rose Anne03
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-anne03.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Rose Anne03 »

Poetry is not my interest though I wrote few in our newspaper when I was in college. Best Evidence seems the author is sexist. Don't have to distuinguish who is not strong or who is strong. But anyway, your review is definitely best, you highligted all the important part in the book. God bless!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Rose Anne03 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 05:34 Poetry is not my interest though I wrote few in our newspaper when I was in college. Best Evidence seems the author is sexist. Don't have to distuinguish who is not strong or who is strong. But anyway, your review is definitely best, you highligted all the important part in the book. God bless!
I do think that the book still has its merits though, despite those flaws. Although personally for me, this is definitely not a whole and accurate representation of Osaki's own thoughts and opinions, which is why I do believe it it is worth a read. Thank you for stopping by, I do appreciate it! :)
Rose Anne03
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-anne03.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Rose Anne03 »

Yeah, thank you for that. I will put it on my list.😆
The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I am not much interested in poetry. However, it's bad that the author has given a wrong presentation of a woman. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think prose poems describing cultural clash could be very intense, so I am willing to give the book a try. The negative representation of women could be merely an illustration of an element of cultural specificity or a projection of gender discrimination at a certain historical moment. Thanks for a great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

cristinaro wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 09:47 I think prose poems describing cultural clash could be very intense, so I am willing to give the book a try. The negative representation of women could be merely an illustration of an element of cultural specificity or a projection of gender discrimination at a certain historical moment. Thanks for a great review!
I do agree that it could certainly be merely a capture in time and not a whole representation of Osaki's own thoughts, definitely! However, the exact temporal position of his poems is not clear-cut, which makes it even more difficult to determine - the beauty of poems, perhaps? :lol:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. My instinct is to pass on this because of the characterization of women. I do take the comments of Catevanne22 to heart though. I agree there is an educational component. On the other hand, I feel I have a pretty good handle on traditional Asian gender roles. Thanks for the thought provoking review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Eva Darrington wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 20:46 I enjoyed reading your review. My instinct is to pass on this because of the characterization of women. I do take the comments of Catevanne22 to heart though. I agree there is an educational component. On the other hand, I feel I have a pretty good handle on traditional Asian gender roles. Thanks for the thought provoking review.
I definitely agree - it is always difficult to see women portrayed in a negative manner, especially when it is based on sex alone. Nonetheless, there are still a few redeeming points. Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it! (:
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I love poetry but the subject line does not interest me. Thank you for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

AmySmiles wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:12 I love poetry but the subject line does not interest me. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for stopping by nonetheless!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the separated theme in the book thought the cover illustration need some improvement. Thank you for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 21:07 I like the separated theme in the book thought the cover illustration need some improvement. Thank you for the detailed review!
Thank you for stopping by, Sahani! I enjoyed the book, and honestly, I thought it was a murder mystery at first - the illustration probably needs some editing to hopefully prevent that.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I am glad you took a star off for sexism, it shouldn't be tolerated. Nonetheless, it sounds like a wonderful book of prose poems.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Laura Bach wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 12:55 I am glad you took a star off for sexism, it shouldn't be tolerated. Nonetheless, it sounds like a wonderful book of prose poems.
I totally agree with you - sexism is something that needs to be eradicated. Thanks for stopping by! (:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”