Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Thank you for your illuminating review! :D The poems do sound good, although it's a pity that the Asian concept of patriarchy might have influenced the writing. The cultural topics broached in this kind of remind me of Ocean Vuong's poetry--if you liked these, you might like those :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have never come across prose poetry before and your review has inspired me to take a look. It sounds like it works well as an art form of writing..
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 10:45 Thank you for your illuminating review! :D The poems do sound good, although it's a pity that the Asian concept of patriarchy might have influenced the writing. The cultural topics broached in this kind of remind me of Ocean Vuong's poetry--if you liked these, you might like those :)
Thank you for your kind comments! :D I have not heard of Ocean Vuong; I'll have to check his poems out. Thanks for the recommendation! :D
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Julie Green wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:43 I have never come across prose poetry before and your review has inspired me to take a look. It sounds like it works well as an art form of writing..
Thank you for stopping by! Osaki's poems are well-written, so if you decide to pick it up, I hope that you will enjoy it! :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds a little too emotionally intense for me right now. Well done explaining it.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

teacherjh wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 14:42 This sounds a little too emotionally intense for me right now. Well done explaining it.
Thank you for stopping by nonetheless!
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Yoyr review was excellent. It's good that you've taken a point out for the author's sexism. although i hope you've taken more due his sexism regardless of excellent poetry. what good is a poet who put women down? :(
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

julessawyer wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 02:27 Yoyr review was excellent. It's good that you've taken a point out for the author's sexism. although i hope you've taken more due his sexism regardless of excellent poetry. what good is a poet who put women down? :(
Thank you for the compliment! It was a pity that the work had some elements of sexism, but as mentioned, it might be a product of culture and tradition, which is not easy to remove. Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it! (:
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I'm a big fan of poetry but I've actually never read prose poetry before! This seems like an excellent place to start, as it deals with a number of connected, fascinating themes.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

meadhbh wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:21 I'm a big fan of poetry but I've actually never read prose poetry before! This seems like an excellent place to start, as it deals with a number of connected, fascinating themes.
It is indeed; if you do decide to pick it up, I hope that you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a frustrated poet myself; my poetry is frustrating, LOL!

Is prose poetry different from free verse?

I am Asian myself, but I do not think that women are inferior in our society. I do feel that Japan still treats women as subordinate to its men (or maybe I got the wrong impression when I visited last year). I wouldn't know about the Vietnamese.

Surely, that war had a great impact on the Vietnamese. I was told by a friend who lived there for more than a decade that American products will never have a place in Vietnam. It's the only country where I didn't see a McDonald's. (Of course, I have gone to only a few.) Google also told me that Vietnam is among the top ten most peaceful countries in the world; they learned a hard lesson.

Thanks for your incisive scrutiny of Osaki's evidence.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Im not a hige fan of poetry as a hobby. In otherwords its not my genre of writing, however this book is made to sound extremely interesting through your thoughtful review. I would say the tone he takes against woman would have me putting it down though within the first few times i caught it. Great review!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 19:41 I am a frustrated poet myself; my poetry is frustrating, LOL!

Is prose poetry different from free verse?

I am Asian myself, but I do not think that women are inferior in our society. I do feel that Japan still treats women as subordinate to its men (or maybe I got the wrong impression when I visited last year). I wouldn't know about the Vietnamese.

Surely, that war had a great impact on the Vietnamese. I was told by a friend who lived there for more than a decade that American products will never have a place in Vietnam. It's the only country where I didn't see a McDonald's. (Of course, I have gone to only a few.) Google also told me that Vietnam is among the top ten most peaceful countries in the world; they learned a hard lesson.

Thanks for your incisive scrutiny of Osaki's evidence.
Hi Miriam! TBH, I'm not that sure about the differences between prose poetry and free verse, but I think the former may be a subset of the latter – please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I am Asian too (although I do not live in America), but I suppose that whilst women are not blatantly discriminated against in Asian culture now, I feel that there are still some insidious undercurrents left which hint at it. ("What's the use of pursuing further education", "You can't cook?!", etc etc)

About Japan, I definitely agree with you that they still objectify their women, and it's honestly horrifying how they act sometimes – I was so surprised that chikan (groping/sexual molestation onboard trains) is still a common occurrence with no effective countermeasure introduced.

I have to say, I've never been to Vietnam, but from what you mentioned, peace is an expensive commodity and not easily gained, don't you agree? I can only hope that the rest of us will be able to learn from them and hopefully not pay such a high price (cough *Trump* cough).

Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it very much! :D
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am no expert in poetry myself. I only know that free verse means the verses don't have a pattern (in contrast, sonnets, haiku, limericks, etc. have strict rules) and free rhyme means the verses don't rhyme. Or maybe even the little that I know is wrong haha.

I'm shocked to hear about "chikan." In the Philippines, I believe we call that "chancing." But our trains are so crowded, so I doubt any groping will be noticed.

No to more war, please!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I'm very keen on prose poetry; it's good to know that this is out there. I particularly liked the sound of the triple play on the word pen - very clever.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”