Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by gen_g »

Cecilia_L wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:26 From the title, I was surprised to find this was a collection of poetry. I thought it was a mystery or court drama. It does sound interesting, but it's unfortunate about the author's sexist portrayal of women. Great review!
I actually had the same thoughts as you did when I was selecting a book for review! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your kind comments!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

fanix1718 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 18:33 I enjoyed prose poetry on a class back in college. I might give this one a shot specially because of the war theme. I wonder if the negative representation of women has more to do with the times described and not the actual opinion of the author.
To be honest, I'm not sure about the author's age, so the time period might be a factor. (Although I would guess that he is probably in his 40s or 50s.) Thanks for stopping by! (:
Abdulsalam007+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abdulsalam007+ »

This piece further brings to the glare the beauty of artistic work in telling the ravaging effects wars could have.
The review is fantastically awesome as it discerns the strengths and flaws of the poem and one of the flaws being gender stereotyping. I humbly opine that the reflection in the poem might not be the true reflection of the poet about gender based issues but the period represented in his work(s).
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Although the gender discrimination is a turn off, I would still like to read Osaka's poems, the themes they cover such as war and racial prejudice are of interest to me.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Abdulsalam007+ wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 19:45 This piece further brings to the glare the beauty of artistic work in telling the ravaging effects wars could have.
The review is fantastically awesome as it discerns the strengths and flaws of the poem and one of the flaws being gender stereotyping. I humbly opine that the reflection in the poem might not be the true reflection of the poet about gender based issues but the period represented in his work(s).
I agree with you! After all, it is only 39 poems, so it will definitely not be the whole reflection of the poet's thoughts and opinions. Thanks for stopping by!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Lu_rire wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 01:36 Although the gender discrimination is a turn off, I would still like to read Osaka's poems, the themes they cover such as war and racial prejudice are of interest to me.
I do hope that you will enjoy it, as I did as well. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Poetry is a musical language of the soul. Thank you for your insightful review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

crediblereading2 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 22:22 Poetry is a musical language of the soul. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

This was an excellent review! The book definitely sparked my interest and I will be adding it to my reading list😁
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Morgan Jones wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 00:44 This was an excellent review! The book definitely sparked my interest and I will be adding it to my reading list😁
Thank you for the compliment! I certainly hope that you will enjoy reading it, and I appreciate you stopping by to leave a comment.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Sadly,I am not that into poetry.It is however interesting to hear poems taking prose form,this is a first for me.Also I am disappointed to hear the negative depiction of women in the read,this further discourages me from reading it. Thanks for the great review though.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Faithmwangi wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 13:54 Sadly,I am not that into poetry.It is however interesting to hear poems taking prose form,this is a first for me.Also I am disappointed to hear the negative depiction of women in the read,this further discourages me from reading it. Thanks for the great review though.
It was disappointing about the negative depiction, I do agree, although imo there were a few good ones. I appreciate you stopping by to leave a comment! (:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like your comment that the author can take the most mundane item and describe it with so much emotion. This collection sounds really good.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

bookowlie wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 07:34 Great review! I like your comment that the author can take the most mundane item and describe it with so much emotion. This collection sounds really good.
I really did enjoy reading this collection. Thanks for stopping by, bookowlie!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for an enlightening review. I got to learn about prose poetry. The poems seem to tackle heavy issues, which I wouldn't mind delving into.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”