Official Review: Masterpiece in Your Heart by S.Sulianah

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Be Happy To Be You by Diane Hull

Official Review: Masterpiece in Your Heart by S.Sulianah

Post by bookowlie » 09 May 2018, 10:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Masterpiece in Your Heart" by S.Sulianah.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masterpiece in Your Heart by S. Sulianah is a collection of twenty-six poems about love and, to a lesser extent, friendship. The poems were written over a period of four years, from 2013 to 2017. There is an emphasis on the author’s feelings about past loves rather than capturing scenic imagery or thoughts about various topics.

It is difficult to critique poetry about the subject of love. Even the slightest criticism can be viewed as stomping on someone’s very personal feelings. Also, free verse is hard to analyze as there are no set rules about syllables or structure. That being said, I believe this style of poetry should have some sort of smooth flow just like any other writing. Unfortunately, there is an awkward flow in many of the pieces in this collection. The stanzas and descriptions go off on tangents and sometimes don’t even feel like they are part of the same poem. It’s as if random adjectives and thoughts are thrown together on paper, yet the phrases are not coordinated in a cohesive way that makes sense to the reader. At times it felt like I was reading a draft that had potential once the author would revise and polish it.

There are a few poems that I found memorable. “Growing Like a Seed” has clear imagery with powerful phrasing – “the clattering of the bits and pieces, the clicks of movements.” “A Decade of You” is a standout as the author reminisces about a past love more than a decade later – “seems there are still layers of you in me, though I had tried to peel off every minute of them.”

The format of the book is somewhat disjointed. The titles of the poems are not always displayed in a consistent way. Some titles are included at the top of the poem and others are on the previous or next page. The inconsistent format gave the collection a haphazard feel and I had to go back at times to figure out which title went with which poem. In the case of titles shown on the page after the poem, it was initially unclear if the poem was the second page of the previous poem.

Full-page photos are scattered throughout the book, such as the Eiffel Tower, London Bridge, a person pulling a sled through the snow, skyscrapers, etc. The pictures appear to have no connection to the text and seem like filler or have meaning that is obvious only to the author.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Although the collection is heartfelt, I found it difficult to connect with many of the poems in any meaningful way. Some of the pieces contain individual phrases that are thought-provoking, but the overall meaning is often obscure. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy free verse poetry and can sift through the vague observations to find the occasional gem.

Masterpiece in Your Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1797
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 13 May 2018, 00:24

A collection of poems about love and friendship sounds nice. Too bad about disjointed format and awkward flow of the poems. I am not fond of poetry, free verse or otherwise, so I will pass. Thank you for the sensitive review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books » 13 May 2018, 03:11

Thanks for this review - as you say, it's a difficult task to criticise writing that is clearly deeply felt. The examples you quoted, though lovely, do really sound more like chopped-up prose than poetry, even allowing for free verse.

sanjus
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by sanjus » 13 May 2018, 03:20

The review gives the idea that this book is having good poems but it has problems with formating. The review score may indicate the author to rewrite the book into a good piece of work.

Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Laura Ungureanu » 13 May 2018, 03:42

I think this book has potential. From you review, I get the impression that the poetry is good, but sometimes unclear. And that can be fixed. I am sure the poems have some value, even if they seem hard to understand sometimes.

Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Ginnamassa19 » 13 May 2018, 03:56

Thank you for your critique! I agree that poetry is subjective and therefore hard to really review, but I think you've done a really good job with this book :) I was thinking of checking it out, but eh, inconsistent formatting is kind of a turn-off :P

gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Post by gen_g » 13 May 2018, 04:18

Free verse sounds pretty interesting, but it is a pity that it seemed disjointed. I do agree that poetry is subjective, but this book would probably be a pass for me. Thank you for your detailed review.

Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Kemunto lucy » 13 May 2018, 05:57

Poetry touches the heart in a very special way. It arouses the deepest feelings and it brings healing. This book is my kind of thing. Thank you for the nice review.

Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi » 13 May 2018, 06:39

The ''Masterpiece in your Heart'' a series of poems by Sulianah, includes poems of poetry refering to Love. What would be more beautiful than this!-I take into account the comments given by other reviewers on ''inconsistency'' of titles, and that soem poems to an extent were ''dispersed'' in regard to meaning and significances of words and phrases put together, that reduced status of worth of poems. Lack of cohesion, and verses not stated/expressed clearly in regard to messages that poet wants to give us.
HOWEVER, I think that only effort of a poet that wants to ''offer to art'' in this way, deserves respect. Poetry cannot control expression some times when it comes to feelings, specially when content of poems is about love, and ''less friendship''..Poet expresses him/herself in the way he/she can, and this great personal effort must be rewarded, whatever it is. Poet homself/herself can actually improve content, by improving format and words used.
By all means I would give 3 stars to poet, wishing them good luck in his/her future endeavors.

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by kislany » 13 May 2018, 08:19

I never really liked poems, I'm not sure why. The topic of the book did make me curious, but your points about not connecting dissuade me from looking into it any further. Thanks for another great review.

bookowlie
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Be Happy To Be You by Diane Hull

Post by bookowlie » 13 May 2018, 11:39

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Free verse is difficult to critique, and even more so when it's about a person's intimate thoughts. Still, there should be some cohesiveness of thought.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 13 May 2018, 16:46

I'm sorry this one didn't connect with you. I think photos included with poetry could make it more powerful. It's unfortunate that the pictures did not fit with the words. The disjointed nature of the verse is also disappointing. All in all, I don't think I would enjoy this collection. Thanks for sharing this with us, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Kendra M Parker
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Teaching from Rest
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: The Prisoner of Zurenda by Kent A. LeFevre
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker » 13 May 2018, 17:56

I always appreciate it when a reviewer does the hard job of reading a book and helping me decide whether or not to read it. The title of this book was eye-catching, so I am glad to know that it is not really the sort of thing that I would normally like to read. Poetry just isn’t much my thing, and if the formatting makes it even more difficult, then I will definitely leave this one behind. Thanks for the good review!

Aubrey Cana Laine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-cana-laine.html
Latest Review: Dreaming of Daniel by J M Admore

Post by Aubrey Cana Laine » 14 May 2018, 07:33

Too bad about the low rating. The book's cover and title definitely interested me, but if the poems themselves as well as the formatting make it difficult to enjoy, then I'll have to pass on this one. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: Night of a Thousand Whispers by Howard Kiel

Post by 420waystoreachthesun » 14 May 2018, 09:05

I just really didn't like the title, so I wouldn't have picked up the book anyway. But thank you for your wonderful review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”