What are your favorite classical plays and why?

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What are your favorite classical plays and why?

Post by Lgs1089 »

When classical literature is brought up I never see plays mentioned. What are your favorite plays, and what theme(s) are present? I've included a small list of my favorites to get the ball rolling. Let me know your thoughts.

The Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
Major theme(s): Loss of Identity and the death of the American Dream

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Major theme(s): Appearance verse reality in the perception of the intimate relationship

A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
Major theme(s): The sacrificial role women play in marriage

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
Major Theme(s): Truth perceived as blinding
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

I saw "The House of Bernarda Alba" performed in college and really enjoyed it. It was very dark (think Edgar Allan Poe dark) but I enjoyed the drama that came from that.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

While anything Arthur Miller, Tom Stoppard (although he’s not exactly classic), or Shakespeare is normally a hit with me, I was very surprised that I found I liked The Way of the World by William Congreve.

I had to read it recently for a class I’m taking on the genre of British comedy from Shakespeare on, and while the diction is a bit difficult initially, the themes really made the play. For instance, I loved the way the play almost poked fun at more traditional romantic comedies (like Shakespeare’s Much Ado) and the fact that after the first scene everything flipped on its head.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Sarah Penney wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 00:06 While anything Arthur Miller, Tom Stoppard (although he’s not exactly classic), or Shakespeare is normally a hit with me, I was very surprised that I found I liked The Way of the World by William Congreve.

I had to read it recently for a class I’m taking on the genre of British comedy from Shakespeare on, and while the diction is a bit difficult initially, the themes really made the play. For instance, I loved the way the play almost poked fun at more traditional romantic comedies (like Shakespeare’s Much Ado) and the fact that after the first scene everything flipped on its head.
I'm also a big fan of Arthur Miller. I've seen The Crucible performed a couple of times - very powerful play.
Jungjaejaehyun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jungjaejaehyun »

my favorite play is something quite familiar to a lot of people, it is The Phantom Of The Opera which the story is sad and lovely at the same time.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”