Official Review: To Hear Your Voice by Carol Kappes

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: To Hear Your Voice by Carol Kappes

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Hear Your Voice" by Carol Kappes.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Hear Your Voice by Carol Kappes is a collection of poems. I like that the book is organized into sections, such as life, nature, and emotion. Most poems are a page or less, though a few extend onto a second page. The preface promises that some poems will “change your thoughts on ways to see things in a different perspective.” Unfortunately, it didn’t deliver on said promise.

Many of her poems consist of repetition. In the poem, “When You Hear the Word ‘Colors,’ What Do You Think,” she starts the first twenty lines with the words, “I think of the colors.” The last line is the only one different. She does this again in several other poems including, “Hate Is a Strong Word-,” “What Hurts In Loneliness Is…,” “The Olympics,” and “Life As Little Steps.” Many of her poems consists of lists. “Your Mind” is a list of things not to do with your mind including, “lose it,” “anger it,” and “destroy it.” “Take Control Of Your Habit-” is a list of bad habits including, “Drinking,” “Gambling,” “Overeating,” and “Cheating.” A few of her poems seem to be from greeting cards she’s written to her children or husband. There are a few short blurbs thanking her blog supporters over the years, and the end consists of interviews she’s had with people online.

The information on the cover states, “Written Verse of the 21st Century Inspirational and Motivational.” Unfortunately, I was neither inspired or motivated by any of her work. I found nothing particularly enlightening or thought-provoking. There wasn’t a single poem that I read that made me stop and think. They weren’t terribly written, there just wasn’t anything especially interesting about any of them. My favorite poem in the collection was, “A Love Bonded.” It was the only one with a clear beginning, middle, and end. Most others didn’t have any sort of arc to them at all, and the lines within them could have been written in any order without changing the overall effect.

It’s hard to comment on the editing of poetry since there’s a lot of room for artistic interpretation. There are a few circumstances where words connected with a dash had an extra space (such as “well- being” instead of “well-being”). At the bottom of each poem is a short informational blurb with the year it was written and, sometimes, why it was written. Often she writes, “inspired of” instead of “inspired by.” I spent some time looking up when to use, “inspired of,” and I’m fairly confident it was used incorrectly. There’s a lot of missing punctuation throughout the book. It can be excused when there’s no punctuation in the entirety of a poem, but that’s not always the case.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a one because I don’t feel like it was awful, and it seemed some time went into the organization of the book. I couldn’t give it more than a two because I didn’t find it interesting, I won’t be reading it again, and I wouldn’t consider passing it on to friends or family. I would not recommend this book to true lovers of poetry, but if you’re looking for ideas for what to write in a greeting card, I might suggest flipping through this collection.

To Hear Your Voice
View: on Bookshelves

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

bb587 wrote: 06 May 2018, 11:07 I would not recommend this book to true lovers of poetry, but if you’re looking for ideas for what to write in a greeting card, I might suggest flipping through this collection.
I just have to say I thought this last comment of yours was quite funny. I would not have thought to take a book of poetry and use it for inspiration in writing a greeting card. Maybe the author should work for hallmark instead of trying to publish compilations of poetry. Sorry you didn't enjoy this.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I definitely won't be reading this one. I'm not really into poetry to begin with. Since you didn't find it interesting, I doubt that I would. I do appreciate your information, though. Thanks for taking the time to read this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elizabeth Pass

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Thank you, kfwilson6! I'm glad my humor is appreciated.

Thank you, kandscreeley! Someone had to.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I won't be reading this one, I just got through a rough poetry book myself. While I enjoy poetry I can't deal with sloppy work. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Elizabeth Pass

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Thank you, AmySmiles!
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I will not be reading this book as I am not an admirer of poetry. Your review was very honest and forthcoming. So sorry you didn’t enjoy it, I‘ve read books that were a struggle to get through so I can feel your pain. Nice and through review.
Elizabeth Pass

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Thank you, Fuzzy456.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This sound like a rough poem book which offers little. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”