Official Review: Words From The Heart Of The Father

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Official Review: Words From The Heart Of The Father

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Words From The Heart Of The Father" by Robin and Shaudonna Bryant.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Words From The Heart Of The Father by Robin and Shaudonna Bryant is a Christian poetry book inspired by the words of God from the Holy Bible.

This book is a collection of poems that have been written by a mother and daughter. Poems from this book appear to be from a journal as some of them are date and time stamped. All of them have a religious tone to them and are meant to be inspirational or encouraging. Some of the poems are praises to God while others are as if God were talking to the reader.

I chose to read this book because I love poetry, especially spiritual poetry. As I was preparing to read this book, I was excited about the possibility and just knew that this would be an enjoyable read. That was my thought until I started reading. The first poem was okay. It wasn’t what I thought it would be, but no big deal. However, with each poem that I read, I began to dislike the book. I had such high hopes for this book, but those hopes shattered very quickly.

Some of the poems rhyme and some do not. I understand there are many different forms of poetry and I am open to all kinds. The problem is that the poems did not seem to stick to the same format. Several poems would start out in one form and then end differently. I could understand each poem having a different format. However, changing it in the middle of a poem like that is disturbing.

The poems appeared to be titled, but sometimes it was in bold print, and then others were in regular print. Sometimes they were date and time stamped, and others were not. This book was so inconsistent throughout, that it was aggravating to read. It appeared to me that the authors just opened their journals and started typing without any thought to the flow of the book.

I don’t recall seeing a single period in the whole book, but there was an exclamation mark to end one sentence, which seemed very weird. I understand that poems usually do lack punctuation but again there just seemed to be no consistency. Some words were unnecessarily capitalized in the middle of a sentence, at least what seemed to be the middle of a sentence. Without punctuation, it was really hard to know for sure in some instances. This book needs a revision, and then I would highly suggest a good editorial review before publishing it again.

I am rating this book 1 out of 4 stars. It breaks my heart to give it such a low rating. I think it would be more enjoyable to read if more care was applied while writing the poems. I, unfortunately, cannot recommend anyone read this book, at least not until it has been edited properly and formatted better. The book has great potential. With some changes, I think it could be very inspirational. However, in its current state, it is an unsettling read.

Words From The Heart Of The Father
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

That's such a shame. I didn't realise that it was a book of poetry or even had a religious theme. The cover and title really interested me and I thought I would check out your review. Honestly, poetry isn't really my forte but that is such a shame that the book was so poorly formatted and structured. I wonder if it could be because there are two different authors?
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

bnoy wrote: 05 May 2018, 06:04 That's such a shame. I didn't realise that it was a book of poetry or even had a religious theme. The cover and title really interested me and I thought I would check out your review. Honestly, poetry isn't really my forte but that is such a shame that the book was so poorly formatted and structured. I wonder if it could be because there are two different authors?
I know it is a shame. I don't think it was because of two authors. It felt like they just didn't take any care in typing it out. I wonder if they read it or had anyone else read it.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like it was a frustrating book to read, especially since you are so interested in the subject it covers.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 May 2018, 14:34 This sounds like it was a frustrating book to read, especially since you are so interested in the subject it covers.
It really was. I wanted to enjoy it, and really hated just giving it one star.
–Author Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It certainly sounds like a frustrating and disappointing read! I hope they go for a revision. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

stacie k wrote: 05 May 2018, 23:11 It certainly sounds like a frustrating and disappointing read! I hope they go for a revision. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I really hope they do too. It really has great potential, it just feels like they just typed it up and threw it out there.
–Author Unknown
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I actually did consider reading this book as I'm a fan of poems, but based on your review I guess I'll just have to by-pass this book. It seems the authors did not bother asking for editorial opinion which is why the book fell short of your expectations. Hopefully they'll consider doing that after reading your review.

Thanks for this review :)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am not into poetry and anything excerpt from the Bible. The errors are completely a turn-off. I'm glad I did not choose this book from the list of paid books to be reviewed. Thanks for the honest review.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

jvez wrote: 07 May 2018, 01:00 I actually did consider reading this book as I'm a fan of poems, but based on your review I guess I'll just have to by-pass this book. It seems the authors did not bother asking for editorial opinion which is why the book fell short of your expectations. Hopefully they'll consider doing that after reading your review.

Thanks for this review :)
Yes I think it would be worth reading once they fix those problems. Thanks for reading the review.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Dolor wrote: 07 May 2018, 01:53 I am not into poetry and anything excerpt from the Bible. The errors are completely a turn-off. I'm glad I did not choose this book from the list of paid books to be reviewed. Thanks for the honest review.
Thanks for reading!
–Author Unknown
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

What a shame! Grammar and formatting can ruin any writing whether a novel or poetry, and that seems to happen here. That is a huge set of flaws that the author will have to rectify before it is readable.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

There is so much more to publishing a book than just putting pen to paper. There has to be some type of systematic approach, editing, proofreading...
It's amazing how millions of readers can say that easily but writers just as easily miss it. Such a shame you couldn't enjoy something you expected to love.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:21 What a shame! Grammar and formatting can ruin any writing whether a novel or poetry, and that seems to happen here. That is a huge set of flaws that the author will have to rectify before it is readable.
Thanks for reading!
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 May 2018, 18:41 There is so much more to publishing a book than just putting pen to paper. There has to be some type of systematic approach, editing, proofreading...
It's amazing how millions of readers can say that easily but writers just as easily miss it. Such a shame you couldn't enjoy something you expected to love.
If it were that easy, and sadly it seems to be, more people would be authors. True authors, in my opinion, take pride in their work and want their publication to be professional. Anyone can sit in front of a computer and type, but can they make it readable? Thanks for reading!
–Author Unknown

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”