Official Review: Waiting at the Window

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: Waiting at the Window

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waiting at the Window" by Katrina D. RiChard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Not knowing that a promise to come get me was a tool you would use,
 To get my mother to postpone the court date or ignore something else you said.
You even were still trying to get her in your bed.”

What I loved the most about Waiting at the Window by Katrina D. RiChard is how outrageously beautiful her poetry is. This book is essentially a collection of poetry and prose that cover a myriad of themes, but it primarily revolves around the idea of relationships. Every woman would find herself relating to this book due to how it addresses certain universal concerns and explores the nuances of relationships.

The writer of this book is Katrina D. RiChard, a writer, educator, and theater artist. She has performed on a multitude of platforms and has also taught for the last ten years. Her work as an artist as well as a teacher inspired her to become a writer. In this work, she explores the reality of everyday life through the lens of a struggling woman. This book reads like a set of confessional poems and prose, and each work has a different story to tell.

One of the most interesting things about this book is how it is thematically coherent. There is a kind of unity in all the pieces within this work, and each piece connects in some way to the other. The themes covered in this book are of quotidian nature, and many of them invoke a sense of ambivalence due to the multifaceted nature of the work. While a number of themes have been covered in this book, perhaps the most powerful one is of overcoming. The speaker/narrator of every work seems to have seen adversity, and strives to overcome the obstacles that obscure her vision of the ultimate destination: freedom.

Another intriguing element of this book that adds to its complexity is the writing style of the author. The author has experimented with language and form in both the poetry as well as the prose, and for this reason, I found her work quite eclectic. She has eloquently told her story with a kind of fluidity that is often missing from mixed works of prose and poetry.

The amalgamation of poetry and prose in this work is another interesting aspect of the book. I feel that a writer can easily go wrong when trying to bring together different genres, but this particular writer has definitely done a good job at fusing together two seemingly dissonant genres. There is a kind of harmony in her work that I rarely find in such works.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the wonderful features of the book, there are definitely times when the work becomes a bit repetitive. However, it is definitely worth a read for women of all ages.

Waiting at the Window
View: on Bookshelves

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like the presentation of prose and poetry, featuring various themes that somehow still manage to feel unified. Poetry is an interest of mine and I think I could overlook the repetition, so long as the writing is lovely. Thank you for another great review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It nice that the author address the struggles of women through poetry. It put's a ring to it. Struggles is never beautiful but the way she has present it sounds captivating. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The author seems to have wonderfully interwined poetry and prose. I like the fact that the book carries a feminist message and that there is experimention with form and variety in topics. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I love your review! I'm just not sure whether i'd enjoy the book quite so much. I would like to support experimental writing, but I'm a bit of an old stick-in-the-mud really.
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

This is a good review.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you so much. I hope you give this book a try.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love books with coherent theme. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”