Official Review: Between Our Eyes That Fall

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Between Our Eyes That Fall

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between Our Eyes That Fall" by Shihori Obata.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Between Our Eyes That Fall by Shihori Obata is a compilation of free-form poetry. Its themes center around themes of hopelessness and self-doubt, especially with regards to romantic relationships. Despite these dark themes, though, the overall tone of the poetry is undeniably hopeful. A full page is devoted to each poem, and the poems themselves vary in length between an extended paragraph and a single sentence.

My greatest issue with this compilation is the lack of variety in structure. Each poem is written in the same free-form style, regardless of subject matter, so it often seemed like little regard was paid to how the poem's topic would mesh with its format. One of the strongest reasons for reading compilations like this is to experience the full range of an author's poetic writing. Since Obata rarely experiments with different formats and ways of arranging words, her poetry sometimes feels repetitive, giving the entire book a very uniform flavor.

That being said, the constant free-form nature of the poetry lent it a pervasive dreamlike quality. There are few concepts for the reader to really latch onto, something that bothered me when I started the book, but over time I warmed up to this aspect of the poems. Reading Between Our Eyes That Fall really did give me the feeling of walking in a dream, albeit not always a pleasant one. In this way, it was almost a meditative experience.

I also found the way Obata dealt with topics like despair and feeling alone deeply personal to my own struggle with mental illness. The introspective way she describes interpersonal relationships through a flurry of words and images was somehow familiar to me, and I expect that readers who have struggled with mental illness would have a similar experience. In the end, though, Obata seems to become at peace with these aspects of herself through her writing. I'd recommend this book to enthusiasts of free-form poetry that are dealing with some of the issues Obata's writing tackles.

If I could, I would rate Between Our Eyes That Fall 3.5 stars due to how repetitive the poetry became. Ultimately, though, I settled on 4 out of 4 stars. Obata's writing is dreamlike and deals with rather dark topics in an elegant way. While I can see most fans of free-form poetry enjoying this book to some extent, it seems most relevant to people who have experienced mental illness. I can only hope they gain a sense of peace after reading it like I did.

Between Our Eyes That Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like free-form poetry because the writer has no restrictions in giving full rein to imagination and feelings. I think the pervasive dreamlike atmosphere would work just fine for me. Besides, I definitely need some peace of mind right now. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do believe that a collection of poetry should be varied, but it sounds like the author does this style well. Poetry really isn't my thing, so I doubt I'll pick this up, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The poems if dealing with hopelessness and self doubt would have led to me think that there will offer no hope eventually but I like the fact the author finally seems like has peace in dealing with them.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I respect your honest review of this collection of freeform poetries. There is much intelligence shown in someone who is able to express their emotions and experiences using words.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm glad you gained a sense of peace from reading this. I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to pick it up right now due its dark themes of hopelessness and self doubt. Thank you for your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kaduffy215
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Kaduffy215 »

Thank you for this review, I have a hard time reading poetry, my find it not my cup of tea, this sounds something I might change my mind and try. Last poetry I read was W. Shakespeare sonnets.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That's a very touching review - thank you for your comments and your honesty.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like variety to the style and flow of poetry as well. I'm glad the author was still able to keep an essence of hopefulness, even though the poems were heavy. Thank you for a great review!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Poetry is really not my thing, however, I really enjoyed reading your review and found it engaging.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I have a loved one with mental illness. I could really do with some carer's respite sometimes, as well as some insights into something that is often a major challenge. Maybe this book would be helpful; thank you for your insightful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
raekelly11
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by raekelly11 »

This an interesting mixed but sensitive review. I would probably like the theme of relationships and struggles within them and appreciate that the author still gives indications of hope after the disappointments and painful experiences. If you felt the reading was like a meditative state, that encourages me to read the book, even if the style is not varied. I am sure it would speak to those who do struggle with mental illness or have close friends or family who have that challenge. Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow there is a mix of emotions it feels like with this book. I definitely want to look into this one. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”