Official Review: Intermittent Vexation by T W Evans

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Intermittent Vexation by T W Evans

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intermittent Vexation" by T W Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

T.W. Evans’ Intermittent Vexation is a truly delightful book of poetry that held my interest until the very end. With a total of 32 shorter to average-length poems, the collection heavily addresses themes such as life, time and nature. While all quite different, nearly every poem incorporates one or more of the above ideas while presenting them through a new topic and a refreshing lens.

The collection of poetry begins with “Sisyphus,” a poem about the famous Greek king who suffered the punishment of having to eternally roll a boulder uphill, only to have it fall back down at the last moment. From there, readers are taken through a series of poems focused on nature—for the most part, places found in Quebec, Canada—such as lakes, mountains, snow and the sea. It is easy to draw a connection between such poems and human life, such as in one of my favorite poems, “Ironbound,” which compares the life and movement of a swallow with that of a raker working the earth. Later poems shift to focus on time and human aging, as well as political and social problems such as aiding refugees and dealing with untrustworthy news sources.

I rate this collection of poems 4 out of 4 stars, having found it an extremely pleasurable read. It was easy to follow, unlike some poetry books which focus entirely on abstract concepts. On the contrary, Intermittent Vexation perfectly blends concrete descriptions and ideas with abstract notions, making it easy to follow yet beautifully leaving room for individual interpretation.

One of this collection’s strong suits lays in the uniqueness of T.W. Evans’ descriptions. I loved reading about nature and life in ways in which I hadn’t previously contemplated them. For example, in his poem “Vermont,” he describes the forest as “tall cathedral trees” and in the poem “Appledore,” he says that perhaps the sea is trying to “clothe and hide the voluptuous amplitude of exposed sand.” There are tons of beautifully crafted lines such as these and the entire collection leaves quite an impression on the reader who will see the world in a new way.

Yet another wonderful aspect of this collection of poetry worth mentioning is the cadence of the poems. Each poem carries such distinct rhythm through internal and end rhyme that I rolled through one end of the poem to the other effortlessly. Even if you’ve previously struggled with reading poetry, I think the poems in Intermittent Vexation are a great way to experience the world of verse anew, guided by the fluidity of the poems’ structure in congruence with their relevant subject matter. I highly recommend reading this collection if you’re even slightly interested in poetry.

Intermittent Vexation
View: on Bookshelves

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I imagine a poetry book being one of the most difficult reviews to write, but you've done a great job here. I'll seriously consider buying this one - it sounds as though it might be in the tradition of Robert Frost and Edward Thomas, both of whom I love. Thanks for recommending this.

(P.S. Since first posting this, I've searched for the collection online and can't find it - can anyone advise, please?)
PurpleMoonrise
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by PurpleMoonrise »

I couldn't find the book anywhere, either. Disappointing!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy unique descriptions, but poetry just isn't my thing. I should probably try it again just because I haven't really read any since high school. But I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

How funny, I can't find it either, it seems to be in no way googleable! Odd. I hope it comes into being, because it sounds absolutely lovely. I adore poetry that is accessible and beautiful, it sounds very much like my kind of thing. Thanks for the review!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Libs_Books wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 04:27 I imagine a poetry book being one of the most difficult reviews to write, but you've done a great job here. I'll seriously consider buying this one - it sounds as though it might be in the tradition of Robert Frost and Edward Thomas, both of whom I love. Thanks for recommending this.

(P.S. Since first posting this, I've searched for the collection online and can't find it - can anyone advise, please?)
Thank you so much for your comment! How very odd that it is not coming up for purchase anywhere. I received it in PDF form and in order to try and help you in your search to track it down I'll provide you with the publishing details:
Published by Aglish Books in 2016 ([email protected]) and the ISBN is 978-0-9958163-0-5. I hope you are able to find it somewhere!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

PurpleMoonrise wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 05:15 I couldn't find the book anywhere, either. Disappointing!
That is disappointing! I received it as a PDF. Here are the publishing details in case they help:

Published by Aglish Books in 2016 ([email protected]) and the ISBN is 978-0-9958163-0-5.

I hope you are able to find it somewhere!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:31 I do enjoy unique descriptions, but poetry just isn't my thing. I should probably try it again just because I haven't really read any since high school. But I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this. Thanks.
Thank you for your comment! I understand as it's not everyone's cup of tea but if you do try it again, I hope you enjoy it this time. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

londonmartine wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:42 How funny, I can't find it either, it seems to be in no way googleable! Odd. I hope it comes into being, because it sounds absolutely lovely. I adore poetry that is accessible and beautiful, it sounds very much like my kind of thing. Thanks for the review!
That is very strange! I received it as a PDF. Here are the publishing details in case they help: Published by Aglish Books in 2016 ([email protected]) and the ISBN is 978-0-9958163-0-5. I hope it surfaces soon. Thank you so much for your comment! :)
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

londonmartine wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:42 How funny, I can't find it either, it seems to be in no way googleable! Odd. I hope it comes into being, because it sounds absolutely lovely. I adore poetry that is accessible and beautiful, it sounds very much like my kind of thing. Thanks for the review!
Camille Turner wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:53 How very odd that it is not coming up for purchase anywhere. I received it in PDF form and in order to try and help you in your search to track it down I'll provide you with the publishing details:
Published by Aglish Books in 2016 ([email protected]) and the ISBN is 978-0-9958163-0-5. I hope you are able to find it somewhere!
Thanks for the details, Camille. londonmartine - I had the same problem as you, but using the new details, and after several different types of searches, I came across something on Project Gutenberg, but the page was no longer available - quite mysterious.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Libs_Books wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 11:13
Camille Turner wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:53 How very odd that it is not coming up for purchase anywhere. I received it in PDF form and in order to try and help you in your search to track it down I'll provide you with the publishing details:
Thanks for the details, Camille. londonmartine - I had the same problem as you, but using the new details, and after several different types of searches, I came across something on Project Gutenberg, but the page was no longer available - quite mysterious.
No problem. How very strange! I wonder if an email to Aglish Books wouldn't clarify the problem? It depends on how badly you want the book, of course! Otherwise, maybe Online Book Club can reach out to the author and get the details on where to find this elusive poetry collection.
Jocknerd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jocknerd »

This is a lovely review. I came here to learn the proper way to review books and I'm not disappointed. :D
This book seems like poetry I can truly enjoy. Thank you for the recommendation.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Camille Turner wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 12:08 I wonder if an email to Aglish Books wouldn't clarify the problem?
It did, to a certain extent - the email works and they are in the process of setting up a website. At the moment payment for the book ($20) has to be by money order.
Jackie99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie99.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Jackie99 »

I enjoyed reading your review. I admit I have hesitated about reviewing poetry books even though I do enjoy them. I don't read a lot of poetry, but after reading your review I may try to review a collection. Good job!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nice review. Makes me want to quickly buy the book and read. Thanks for sharing your enjoyment and enthusiasm with us. You a re right, the author does have a way with words!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”