Official Review: Lance D. Wainwright by Epp Marsh III

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Lance D. Wainwright by Epp Marsh III

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lance D. Wainwright" by Epp Marsh III.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Passion, intimacy and relentless love are some of the foundational themes explored by Epp Marsh III in his book, Lance D. Wainwright. The author writes as Wainwright, a fictional character expressing his love to Ruth, his sweetheart.

As I turned each page, I was pulled into every poem and I got to witness the journey of the two lovers. As they met, grew to love each other and as their love continued to deepen even in their sunset years. The words were simply mesmerizing, emotional and truly sweet. Even in times of pain, Wainwright’s love for Ruth is still as strong and steadfast as it was in the beginning.

The poems contained in Lance D. Wainwright are further accentuated by beautiful images of art incorporated as backgrounds to the poems. These pieces of art were simple yet colorful. They were undoubtedly ideal for the book. One favorite of mine was the image where the two lovers in their old age look into each other’s eyes with bright smiles on their faces. The image to me was one of mature love. Love that has survived through many treacherous and also brilliant times yet it is still alive, radiant and strong.

The cover itself was alluring. The different shades of color and the imagery were an attractive addition to the book which makes it stand out from the rest. It definitely captured my attention and the cover’s beauty fascinated me and built my curiosity. I could not help wondering what was contained in the book even before I read it.

Every poem was special and radiated the writer’s imagination and passionate longing to be with his lover. The font used for the poems was thoughtfully selected as it also added an element of romance to the poems. The writing was in different colors which brought out the themes of love and vibrancy.

I liked that Epp Marsh III uses simple language yet he manages to express successfully Lance’s love and desire for his beloved. He points out the beauty of his lover that allured him and captured his heart. Still, his words reflect purposeful love and a yearning for true companionship, not just mere infatuation.

Lance D. Wainwright is a captivating book whose poems are well organized. We first meet the lovers in their youth then journey with them to their old age. The book contains close to no errors which helped me read every poem effortlessly as I got lost in my imagination. The poems are simply spell-binding and therefore, I rate Lance D. Wainwright 4 out of 4 stars.

Lance D. Wainwright
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Pauline_1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pauline_1 »

I didnt like novels but this book attracted me and i enjoyed it
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like an exceptionally well-done collection as it relates an overarching story through the different poems. The art sounds like a beautiful addition to enhance the reader’s experience. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

This sounds absolutely gorgeous - so was it an overarching story told in a series of poems? It sounds like a really beautiful love story.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poems and images together? Sounds like quite the collection. Plus, the subject of love in addition makes this almost irresistible. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Do the interior images resemble the style of the cover art? We each have our own preferences, but for me, the cover art is very juvenile. If the interior art is illustrated in the same way, I think it would detract, rather than add to the book's quality.

I thoroughly enjoyed your review though!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Not having read this book, is it fair to say that my favorite part so far is the author's name? Epp Marsh III is as distinguished a name I'd ever want in a poet! ;) In all sincerity, I haven't read much poetry, but a collection that includes a narrative certainly seems like a great place to start! Thanks for reading and reviewing!
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

stacie k wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 01:30 This sounds like an exceptionally well-done collection as it relates an overarching story through the different poems. The art sounds like a beautiful addition to enhance the reader’s experience. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks too for leaving your comment.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

stacie k wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 01:30 This sounds like an exceptionally well-done collection as it relates an overarching story through the different poems. The art sounds like a beautiful addition to enhance the reader’s experience. Thanks for a great review!

I like that this review examines the themes as well the connecting themes throughout the work.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”