Official Review: And Then Opens Possibility

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: And Then Opens Possibility

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Then Opens Possibility" by Vicki L. Flaherty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The word ‘possibility’ implies hope, dreams, and opportunities. Possibilities open a lot of doors, and only requires a persons’ determination to succeed. And Then Opens Possibility is a book of poetry written by Vicki L. Flaherty. It is published by Turas Publishing. The book is made up of 50 pages with about 30 free-verse poems of varying lengths. Some poems have only a few lines while others are up to a page long.

Truth, possibility, light, nature, courage, new beginnings, and self-discovery are just some of the themes addressed in these poems. The imagery of nature is often used in the poetry as metaphors.

There are three main sections in this book. These are titled: Truth’s Whisper, Into the Deep, and Someone to Catch me.

“Truths Whisper” introduces the topic of possibilities and opportunity, giving metaphors from nature and life. “Into the Deep” are poems about how one goes about discovering the possibilities and accepting new opportunities. These poems also highlight the struggles and difficulties that will occur through this journey. “Someone to Catch Me” underlines the importance of having other people with you on your journey. It is essentially about the importance of friendship.

In a sense, this book could also be seen as a self-motivation book. The poems urge the reader to bring out the best in themselves. To understand and evaluate themselves and use this knowledge to allow the possibility of new things to happen in their life.

I loved the first poem titled “The Red Barn in Snow”. It was an extremely short poem of only 3 lines, yet the meaning behind the words was quite powerful, and the imagery it evoked was vivid. Another poem I quite liked is titled "Unfolding". It describes a flower in bloom.

What I especially liked about the book was the inclusion of the background photographs of scenery. It really added to the essence of the poems. The photographs were also taken by the author, which adds a personal touch. It includes seascapes and landscapes. For example, a scene of grass blowing in the wind. The pictures that went with the poems certainly lent it an air of calmness and peace.

I usually enjoy reading poetry as its aim is to portray emotions in literary form to the reader. Most of the poems were pleasant. However, I somehow did not seem to feel and understand the emotions and meaning in several of these poems too well. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The reason I didn’t give it four stars was because the poems were, in my opinion, enjoyable, but not extraordinary. However, it may appeal to others. I think that they should give it a try a and judge for themselves. It may appeal to those who like reading books on self-motivation and those who like poetry.

And Then Opens Possibility
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Poetry can be very difficult to interpret. It helps me to be able to discuss with other people to grasp a better understanding. The inclusion of the author’s own photographs sounds like a wonderful feature to this book! Thanks for the great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Chebet 14 online
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Chebet 14 online »

Congrats to the author for using pictures to support the background of the poem as they help create a vivid description of the message in the mind of the reader.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Nature is a pretty common theme in poetry, so I'm glad this author was able to distinguish her work! I also appreciate that she didn't rely on other people to take the photos in the book; that's a nice personal touch that seems like it would add to the book's impact.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”