Official Review: Tear Open My Soul and See Through Me

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Tear Open My Soul and See Through Me

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tear Open My Soul and See Through Me" by Michele Renatta.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this autobiographical collection of poems, author, Michele Renatta, shares her personal challenges and pain. Tear Open My Soul and See Through Me is a poetic diary rich with moments of melancholy, pain, growth, and love.

Michele’s childhood was one of sadness and confusion. The mistreatment she endured from her cruel mother and alcoholic father lead to a lifetime struggle with depression and the loss of her self-worth. The encouragement from her loving grandmother was her only solace. When her grandmother passed away, Michele spiraled into a deep depression. With this loss, and dark memories of her childhood, Michele struggled to find a reason to carry on. With pain and sorrow weighing heavy on her heart, Michele begins to fight the demons keeping her from finding peace and the will to survive.

The author shares the wisdom she gained from each profound experience in her life. A child thinks that she is beautiful until someone tells her that she is ugly. The hurtful words of others cut so deep that the scars never completely fade. It is only when we find our inner strength that we learn to wear those scars like a badge of courage. Depression is such a common affliction, but sufferers feel isolated. This story is a reminder that, even in our darkest moments, we can find strength and we are not alone.

It took true courage to publish this book. I admire the author’s bravery. She opens the book in such a relatable way that I felt an instant connection to her story. The poems that tell the story of Michele’s troubled childhood are heartbreaking, but I found an elegance in the rhythm of the words.

There is such inspiration within the words of these poems. They are beautifully written and a pleasure to read. There are two minor grammatical errors within the text, but they do not disrupt the flow of the story. Poetry readers will like this book. The poems are written so gracefully that romance readers will also enjoy the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There is a poem in this collection for every emotion and many stages of life. This is a story that you continue to think about long after you put the book down. I enjoyed this short read so much that I read it twice, and I have no doubt that I will read it again.

Tear Open My Soul and See Through Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Adbell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adbell »

This is a very insightful and encouraging post. It displays a summary of the work that draws a person to want to read the book themselves. Especially since the reviewer "read it twice". This is awesome encouragement for a writer as well as a potential reader.
adeadeadeniyix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeadeadeniyix.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by adeadeadeniyix »

This review makes me want to read the book, especially about wisdom from experience of hard life.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

I am definitely going to check it out. A poetic diary is just my type of hype. Your review is amazing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Every once in a while, it's nice to have a book that makes you think. Nice review, and I too admire the courage it took to write this book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hellen kinuthia
Currently Reading:

Post by Hellen kinuthia »

In one way or another we all relate to this kind of stories, being put down and bullied either at our home by people we trust to protect us or our mate in schools or workmates. Personally i relate more so being from Africa, Kenya to be precise. It's a book i will categorize as must read.
Maryjanis

Post by Maryjanis »

Test open my soul and see through me. I have not read this book, however look forward to getting it!
Chebet 14 online
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Chebet 14 online »

Definitely am gonna find time to read that book.The rating awarded to it makes even look more awesome
Tjstainbrook

Post by Tjstainbrook »

This review is awesome and I will definitely be reading this book. Even though I am not a fan of poetry. I think this book would be an incredible story of a real life problem alot of people struggle with.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Adbell wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 22:02 This is a very insightful and encouraging post. It displays a summary of the work that draws a person to want to read the book themselves. Especially since the reviewer "read it twice". This is awesome encouragement for a writer as well as a potential reader.
Thank you for the kind words. And thanks for reading my review.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

adeadeadeniyix wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 05:58 This review makes me want to read the book, especially about wisdom from experience of hard life.
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

ADE_96 wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 08:20 I am definitely going to check it out. A poetic diary is just my type of hype. Your review is amazing.
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for the kind words. And thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:05 Every once in a while, it's nice to have a book that makes you think. Nice review, and I too admire the courage it took to write this book. Thanks!
This book definitely makes you think. Thanks for the kind words. And thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Hellen kinuthia wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 13:51 In one way or another we all relate to this kind of stories, being put down and bullied either at our home by people we trust to protect us or our mate in schools or workmates. Personally i relate more so being from Africa, Kenya to be precise. It's a book i will categorize as must read.
Exactly. It is very relatable. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Maryjanis wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 13:33 Test open my soul and see through me. I have not read this book, however look forward to getting it!
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”