Official Review: Psalms to Inspire by David Spietz

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Psalms to Inspire by David Spietz

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Psalms to Inspire" by David Spietz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Psalms to inspire: from me to you by David Spietz is a collection of poems that address different areas of life from a Christian perspective. There are 46 poems in total in this anthology and they are categorized into one of the following headings: The Call, Seasonal, One on One, Family, Work, Pain and Personal, and God’s Nation. Every category has a brief introduction explaining what the poems in the section will be about. According to Spietz, the aim of this collection is to “help another family, relationship or individual see the light of the Lord.”

I am a Christian and a poet, so I was excited to review this book. I love how the first poem, ‘Why Me Lord?’ made me reflect on my walk with the Lord. Praising God was also a constant theme throughout the book. Spietz testified of the Lord’s goodness in his life and preached salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ.

This poet’s writing style is not lavished with many literary devices. He mostly relied on rhetorical questions and emotive language to fulfill his purpose. All the pieces are freestyle and most of them are written in the first person in a narrative style. There could have been more variation in his writing style, but I still enjoyed it overall.

There were a few things that I did not like about Psalms to inspire. The book was obviously not professionally edited judging from the numerous grammatical errors it contains. Most of the errors involved missing punctuation marks. The formatting could also be improved to make the book look less like a manuscript and more like a finished product. I believe that since this book was made to honor the Lord, the author should have strived to make it as professional as possible. At the time of writing this review, a kindle version of this copy is available for $5.99 USD and a paperback copy for $10.99 USD at Amazon.com. I might buy the kindle copy, but I would not purchase a paperback book that I am sure is not professionally edited.

In conclusion, I rate Psalms to inspire 2 out of 4 stars. I was hoping to be able to give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is ‘Christian literature’. However, the grammatical and formatting errors previously mentioned make this impossible. I hope that the author continues to publish his poetry but I highly recommend that he has work professionally edited before publishing it.

Psalms to Inspire
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry this book wasn't what you were hoping for. Poetry is so hard to do well. I sure that it would be the best possible. Not just thrown together. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I wish the book were profesionally edited. I still want to read these psalms though. I am interested if they are psalms in the traditional way. Are they only poems of worship or is there an oscillation between pure faith and doubt? Thank you for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read about the author on Amazon and learned that he was compelled to write this book, in obedience to God's instruction. I laud Christians who act on God's prodding. I do agree that the Lord would have been better served by a professionally edited version of the book.

All isn't lost, though. David can still follow the footsteps of the original David who purportedly wrote most of the Psalms.

Thanks, Jaime, for this insightful review!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I'm so disappointed that it was not as great as you hoped. Thanks for your honest review. Poetry although on face value looks like just "a bunch of words" is not so easy to compose. Despite the pitfalls you mentioned I'll still take a look at this collection.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

It's a shame about the errors. Hopefully this book will still be able to find an audience who loves it. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Love the concept of the book. Once the issues are fixed I will be one of the ones getting a hard copy. Good review.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I am not an avid consumer of poetry, but I definitely don't want to read poems that are full of grammatical errors and lack literary devices. As a Christian, I totally agree with your point that it should have been professionally edited. Thanks for giving this a fair rating rather than boosting it to "help" a fellow believer.
noblebright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by noblebright »

as Christian well agreed but,wrong grammatical classes of word it should be professionally edited.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Poetry demands a unique taste and style. The theme of this book is good. But the book should have been edited professionally. Thanks for your interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like the poems are quite spiritual, which picked my interest. However, I am not into books that were not professionally edited. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I can't say I'm very religious, and the unprofessional editing errors are a real turn-off. Looks like I'll have to give this one a pass.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”