Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Illusions and Ink Spills" by Divya Hirani.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani is a collection of free-verse poetry. There are approximately sixty poems in this collection, and they range in length from almost a full page to only four lines. At the beginning of the collection, an introduction is provided by the author that describes herself as a ‘young professional immigrant in a foreign land.’ However, any person, young or old, will have no trouble connecting with the themes and words written within the pages of this collection.

The poetry itself doesn’t follow any set standards. Many of the poems are free verse, some employ rhyming meter, but most do not. The author tends to use elaborate wording, which worked most of the time but felt overdone in some places. Additionally, there were some wording choices along the way that gave me pause, as their meaning was unclear given the context. For example, on page 48, the line ‘My witchen subconscious’ eluded me. Similarly, on page 57, the line ‘Tell tale till going kaching’ was baffling and difficult to decipher. Moreover, the collection is missing a table of contents, which became irksome when I wanted to return to a specific poem.

The element of this collection that stands out the most is the author’s distinct voice. The author’s tone is strong and unwavering, and the more of the poems I read, the more I could paint a picture of her defiant and questioning personality. It was enjoyable to see the author resonating from the pages of the collection instead of getting lost in overly wordy or meandering prose.

For the most part, the themes in these poems are clearly conveyed to the reader. Poems dealing with monotonous daily routines, fitting in with the world and with your peer group, questioning society’s rules, questioning faith, reinventing one’s self, and familial relationships were all relatively easy to decipher. However, there were a few poems in the collection that were more difficult to interpret. This isn’t a collection of poems that can be read once and easily understood; for many of the poems, I had to read them multiple times and really ponder their meaning before I could come up with some type of message or theme, whether intended or not by the author.

For this collection, the things I disliked about the poetry also ended up being some of my favorite aspects of the author’s work. Many of the poems were difficult to decipher, yet I found that I thoroughly enjoyed the amount of thought it took to fully understand the themes and messages of these poems. Too often, the meaning of poetry is spoon fed to the reader; that is not the case with Hirani’s work, and for that I happily award this book 3 out of 4 stars. I chose to forgo a four star rating because of the use of some indecipherable words in places that distracted from my overall understanding of the author’s words, and the lack of a table of contents. For poetry fans that enjoy collections that make you think about everyday life and questioning of societal standards and faith, I highly recommend this book.

Of Illusions and Ink Spills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the title, but I'm not really into poetry. I'm not sure why, but it's just never really been my thing. It sounds good for those who enjoy that kind of thing in spite of the passages that are difficult to decipher. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I liked your comment that the things you disliked wound up being your favorite parts of the book. It can be challenging yet rewarding to figure out poems where the meaning is very subtle.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I agree that meaning behind poems should not be obvious to the reader however if its written in a overly complex manner that leaves a lot of room for mixed information or misinterpretation, its a no for me but awesome review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the pop out of the author's distinctive voice, it sets a unique tone to the book. Thank you very much for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The art of poetry is to convey the message clearly to its target audience. And I think, this book fulfills this demand. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

For me, I almost have to be melancholy to enjoy poetry. I admit that my mind isn't mature enough to sit and ponder. I need that immediate gratification of the author telling me whats going on. Loved your review though, I'll take my poetry that way!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

The themes explored in the anthology interest me - I'll overlook the missing table of contents, though I agree it's annoying not to have one.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I think free-verse is a very powerful format of poetry in the right hands. Despite the strange wording at times, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think the cover is quite striking, too; I've always had a bit of a weakness for black-and-white geometric patterns.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Loved the title, loved the cover, and loved your review! I like your very fair balanced approach - I think I would like this book more than you did. Thanks for this!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A collection of free-verse poetry that doesn’t follow any set standards sounds unique. Elaborate wording is great when done right. Too bad about the use of some indecipherable words. It is interesting that the things you disliked also ended up being your favorite. I am glad you enjoyed the book overall. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Very nice review! Tough genre for me, poetry is something I feel like I need to hear sung or spoken. I read through the first couple, and I agree with you that the author's word choices make the poem. Thanks!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. The cover and title really grabbed my attention but poetry is really not my thing but this does sound like a great read for fans of poetry with a distinct voice, vivid imagery, and poems that make you think. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Poetry just is not my thing. It's good that you enjoyed it though! Thanks for the review!
GEORGEMWETERI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by GEORGEMWETERI »

Nice review.
It is pointing out the key directives to writing a pleasing simple poem which is understood by everyone.The sweetness of any poem is the flow.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”