Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Re: Official Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills

Post by Mercelle »

For anyone who wants to get lost in poetry, this would be a great place to start. I always adore a good collection and I won't hesitate to check this one out.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This definitely sounds like an interesting collection of poems that really do make you think and relate to them. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Dawn_Sooy
Currently Reading: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawn-sooy.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Dawn_Sooy »

Unfortunately, the preview Amazon afforded me was only the index. However, poetry is something I rarely read. I wish good luck to this author and am glad I was able to read the official review.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I really love poetry so this book is right up my alley! Thanks for your review.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Great review! I am not the greatest fan of poetry but I may give this collection a try. I like your description.."a collection that make you think about everyday life."
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Poems dealing with monotonous daily routines, fitting in with the world and with your peer group, questioning society’s rules, questioning faith, reinventing one’s self, and familial relationships were all relatively easy to decipher.
I'm not so into freestyle poetry. If ever I read a few, I want those full of positivity and good vibes. Based on the themes of this book that I quoted above from your review, it's more of rants. I'll bypass reading this book. Thanks to your detailed review.
Crashtara
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crashtara »

Thank you for such a great review. I'm not sure I would be quick to pickup on Hirani's tone without your insight. I agree, a table of contents is helpful.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review, it seemed like you enjoyed the poetry.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I'm not a big fan of poems. If there is also the possibility that I will have no idea what they wrote, then it's really not for me.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

Free form poetry is great but I like to listen to it not read it. Sounds like this is a pretty good collection but this will not be for me.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

Thank you for the review! I like it when an author's voice really comes through in their poetry, as you indicate Divya Hirani's did here. I think that tackling everyday material is harder in poetry form than essay form, so kudos to the author for that! This book looks like something I might like to read.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I haven't read much poetry lately. But since these poems are not unraveled at first sight but are more like a challenge, they pique my interest. I agree with you this is definitely a positive aspect. Also, the themes chosen by the author in this collection of poems are up to date. Thanks for this decipherable review!
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Wow! That title sounds so cool!
I read poetry almost every week at school, so I could imagine that this book would be just as exciting to read like what I've been reading before.
Great review!
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
VIValentine2018
Currently Reading:

Post by VIValentine2018 »

I am in agreement (for the most part) with the Official Review of the collection of sixty-four poems, "Of Illusions and Ink Spills" by Divya Hirani. For instance, I totally enjoyed the collection of poems described as free-versed poetry, and delightfully portraying a plethora of the author's life experiences. Admittedly, the author employed a few choice wordings that created a bit of a challenge in deciphering the meaning and context intended; however, to my mind, they were so few as to not distract from, and lessen the overall comprehension and enjoyment of the collection.

I agree also with the reviewer's observation of the clarity as well as the current and relevant themes that the author conveyed to the reader. However, I respectfully beg to disagree with the reviewer's observation of the absence of a Table of Contents, which, in fact, there is (one), and is to be found immediately following the the author's introduction.

There are a of couple mis-spelt words that were apparently overlooked by the reviewer, namely: (1) the poem titled "INFOBESITY", page 19, the line beginning: The mind blows, At it pours through; Every crevice and hole,..."At" should be "As" and, (2) In the same poem, the next line beginning: The superhighway we'r on...the contraction of the words "we are" should be written as "we're" and not "we'r"

Given the use of some indecipherable words as well as the afore-mentioned mis-spelt words, I do agree with the reviewer's rating of 3 out of 4 stars.
kr0p0tk1n

Post by kr0p0tk1n »

The review for this collection definitely made me want to read more. I'm intrigued by the free verse style, and from the review it seems like there is a great deal to sink your teeth in to from a literary standpoint. The reviewers notes on the difficulty of understanding some sections of the poem made me want to pick the book up and see if I could parse any meaning from them, but I'm not sure I'd be able to!
However, free verse is definitely a style that appeals to me, and the self described immigrant perspective of the novel is another point of interest. Definitely want to pick this up if I can!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”