Official Review: From Parkinson’s To A Poet

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: From Parkinson’s To A Poet

Post by Christina O Phillips »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Parkinson’s To A Poet" by Melody Eddins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry is powerful. Poetry is passion on paper. Poetry can be therapeutic. But most of all, poetry is personal. In Melody Eddins’ book From Parkinson’s to a Poet, her poems are all these things.

From Parkinson’s to a Poet is a collection of 36 poems divided unevenly into four sections: faith, family, creation/nature, and special people and places. Eddins was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2011, and because of the disease, had to retire four years after her diagnosis. According to her biography, she began to write poetry as a way to practice her language and vocabulary skills.

The poems cover topics perfectly described by their section titles. Eddins took experiences from her own life, stories she heard from others, and the experiences of people in her life and used them as inspiration. While most of Eddins’ poems use long lines, there are some that use shorter lines. She also employs the standard end-line rhyme in all of the poems though at times she throws in a few slant rhymes.

While I enjoyed most of the poems, sometimes the rhyme scheme made the lines and poems predictable. There were other times when the poem could have been written so that the reader could dig out a message for themselves, but Eddins instead chose to flat out tell the reader what the message was. As I said before, poetry is personal and does not always adhere to the usual rules of punctuation. Because of this, I tried to overlook anything that could be considered as an error, but there was the rare spacing issuing, one misspelled word, and a poem that I felt shifted too much in its verb tense.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. This is a very subjective rating. I loved the poems about creation/nature and special people and places more than the others. Someone who likes poetry, especially about faith, family, and life would enjoy this collection. My two favorite poems (“Silence” and “Walking with Parkinson’s Disease”) are told from the perspective of a person who is different from others and tries to help readers understand them better. I would have liked to read more poems like those two. I think that this book appeals to those who like poetry and also to current Parkinson’s patients and their caregivers. I did enjoy this collection, and I am glad to have had the chance to read it.

From Parkinson’s To A Poet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

This seems to be an interesting collection. Did you have a favorite section out of the four?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author wrote these to help with her language and vocabulary. I think that would be great for Alzheimer's patients as well! Sounds like a great collection! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina O Phillips

NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 01:19 This seems to be an interesting collection. Did you have a favorite section out of the four?
It would be a tie between Creation/Nature and Special People and Places. Those two sections held my favorite poems of the collection.
Christina O Phillips

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:10 I love that the author wrote these to help with her language and vocabulary. I think that would be great for Alzheimer's patients as well! Sounds like a great collection! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Yes! I think it might help people with other conditions as well. My stepfather is recovering from a stroke and has aphasia.

It really is a good collection. I hope you read it.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

This was a very thorough and fair review. I like this book already and definitely see myself reading it. I really like the title of the collection. It's always wonderful to see people spin unfavorable situations into something inspiring. I'll also read this collection because I love poetry especially the ones that are personal. Great job on the review!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Hmmm, seems like a book that targets patients suffering from chronic illnesses and caregivers. Also to help a wider audience accept and perceive the intended meaning behind one's ailment. And generally teaches people to exercise gratitude. Admirable review :)
Christina O Phillips

prettysmart wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 19:49 Hmmm, seems like a book that targets patients suffering from chronic illnesses and caregivers. Also to help a wider audience accept and perceive the intended meaning behind one's ailment. And generally teaches people to exercise gratitude. Admirable review :)
Thank you.
There are also poems about her family and her faith.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

It is awesome to know that the author expresses herself through poetry despite her diagnosed ailment.
Christina O Phillips

KitabuKitamu wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 08:55 It is awesome to know that the author expresses herself through poetry despite her diagnosed ailment.
Yes, I found that impressive, too.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”