Official Review: The Investment Of A Lifetime!

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: The Investment Of A Lifetime!

Post by rssllue »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Investment Of A Lifetime!" by LeVar Pompey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Investment of a Lifetime! author Levar Pompey has put together quite a quaint collection of poetry and musings that span more than a decade of his life and experiences. The cover has a picture of an infant child who is fast asleep which seems to give a strong clue as to what the title of this book, and much of its ensuing content is really all about.

The book contains 42 different pieces of writing by the author that range from a couple of lines to a few pages each. The scope of the topics that are written about contain pieces on wisdom, strength, faith, mentorship, love, boldness, and trust to name a few. As mentioned above, the bringing up of the younger generation is a topic that is revisited much throughout the entirety of the book. From what I can tell by reading his words, the author certainly takes his role in life in relation to others very seriously and strives to be the best man he can be for his loved ones, as well as for the people who find themselves within his circle of influence.

Many of the shorter works by Mr. Pompey in the book come across more as axioms than that of poetry or verse. With these pieces interspersed throughout the book, the author imparts his little nuggets of wisdom on the mind of the reader for them to ruminate upon before pushing onward into the remainder of the book. These sayings were actually like a little sip of refreshment as I read the book, and I found them quite an unexpected yet wholly pleasant surprise.

I really enjoyed the way that Mr. Pompey shared his character and beliefs through his words in his writings. This gave the individual pieces a great depth while simultaneously making the whole book itself stick with me after I was done reading it. The only real negative that I can give about the book is that it was too short and I reached the end long before I expected to (which actually is pretty good as far as negatives go).

Overall, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. There really is a lot of good pieces of writing that made me think, which along with keeping me entertained, is just about all I could have asked for in reading it. I think that this would be a good book for just about anybody to read no matter their ultimate preference in genres. It would especially appeal to those readers who already enjoy poetry as well as those who like receiving words of wisdom and encouragement. I heartily recommend giving Mr. Pompey's book a try.

The Investment Of A Lifetime!
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I have read quite a few book reviews on poetry now, and I am always amazed by those who can sit and read through an entire book of it. One, max two poems, are about my limit (which is somewhat strange, I suppose, as I occasionally write poetry. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love the little nuggets of wisdom that are interspersed throughout the poetry. I also love that he strives to be the best he can for his loved ones. Another great review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you both for the great feedback. It is most appreciated! :tiphat:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. There are a few things I can pick up from this book. I like that the author projects his own life experiences to the reader.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much for your feedback on the review. It is most appreciated! :)

Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a book that provides wisdom. Besides it was very touching to see that the author puts his best in trying to be a good role model to his loved ones and the people circled around him. Looking forward to this book! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. Be sure to let me know what you think when you get done with it! :tiphat:

Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your review. From what I could understand, the book is a combination of fiction and non-fiction. I am curious about the type of poems it includes.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”