Official Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Sirius by A.L. Long

Official Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman » 16 Jan 2018, 16:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rituals of Season" by Giovanna Ess.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rituals of Season is a heart-wrenching compilation of poems by Giovanna Ess. Each poem depicts her survival experience in an abusive relationship with her now ex-husband. Her experiences, like many, are both physical and psychological in nature.

The author’s first couple of poems describe the beginning of the relationship. The words are more loving and the relationship seems happy. It does not take long, however, for the tone to change to sadder and grittier verses. She describes the ugly words spoken to her, the abuse to fulfill his desires, and the incessant fear that filled her heart awaiting her ex- husband’s return home each day.

This book comes at a time where violence and abuse towards women is being protested against across the world. It is heartbreaking to me that anyone could have the kind of experiences to be able to write a book like this. I almost dreaded turning another page because it meant there was another instance of abuse that compelled this author to write down. I do not always enjoy poetry but I feel it was the appropriate medium for this subject matter. The meter and format was sometimes disjointed which is indicative of the disjointed feelings in this kind of perilous relationship.

The overall tone of this book was quite dark. With only five chapters, it was short but packed with intense emotions. The chapter and poem titles gave insight to what was to come. Despite the sadness, there were a couple sweet poems. The author gave birth to two sons through the course of the book. The poems she writes about her children are very sweet. I thought they were welcome breaths of fresh air. I did notice a few grammatical errors but it did not detract from the overall experience of the book.

I give Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess 4 out of 4 stars. This was a tough read; but an important one. Abuse is not an easy subject matter to discuss. Many people turn a blind eye to it. I think that is why this kind of work is so important. The ability to write books and poetry provides a voice to those who otherwise might not have one. It also encourages those who have similar experiences to speak out and get help. The author, in her dedication, includes several phone numbers to The Domestic Violence Hotline. I feel that this book can be helpful to anyone who finds themselves in abusive relationships. There are people out there who sympathize and want to help.

Rituals of Season
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kat Berg
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant translated
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Sanguinity Point by Peter Palmieri
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg » 18 Jan 2018, 01:34

I greatly appreciate the inclusion of helpline numbers in a book like this! It is surprising how many forget to include that necessary component.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The House Beneath the Damen Off Ramp by Wiliam Claypool
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 18 Jan 2018, 03:33

It is sad that there are those who expect love in marriage who end up being oppressed. I feel for the author. I hope she has found healing.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 18 Jan 2018, 08:22

I can imagine that there was quite a bit of heartbreaking content in this. There are many books written about abusive relationships, but I don't think I've seen one worked out in poetry such as this. Although poetry isn't my thing, this does seem unique enough to capture my interest. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: The Lion Roared FREEDOM by Andr&ecirc; Black

Post by Mercy Bolo » 18 Jan 2018, 08:54

An abusive relationship is one of my biggest phobias. I applaud the author for getting out and eventually speaking about it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

pacymama200
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by pacymama200 » 18 Jan 2018, 17:04

So many are be loved after marriage, it depend on the counnity and cultureand tradition

Shawn Brutus
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shawn Brutus » 21 Jan 2018, 06:58

It is great that she came out and speak about the abuse.

angela1serenity
2018 Reading Goal: 30
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by angela1serenity » 05 Feb 2018, 12:15

kandscreeley wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 08:22
I can imagine that there was quite a bit of heartbreaking content in this. There are many books written about abusive relationships, but I don't think I've seen one worked out in poetry such as this. Although poetry isn't my thing, this does seem unique enough to capture my interest. Thanks!
Thank you 😊

-cloudy
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by -cloudy » 09 Feb 2018, 12:42

Thank you for the review. I can understand poetry can be difficult to get into or to pick up - but you are right! This is such an important topic. Hopefully, I can get a chance to properly read through it, but atm far too busy.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”