Official Review: Picture Frames a book of Poetry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: Picture Frames a book of Poetry

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Picture Frames a book of Poetry" by Joseph Simmons.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Picture Frames a book of Poetry by Joseph Simmons is a collection of poems that deals with a myriad of themes in the poet’s own idiosyncratic way. The poetry collection is essentially in the form of a non-linear narrative. It amalgamates commentaries, conversations and much more into a single work of art. I feel like this poetry collection is suitable for people of all ages as the intensity of the content varies from poem to poem.

The title of this poetry collection is quite unique and suggestive. It crystallises the central idea that the poet will grapple with in the text. The idea of “poetic pictures” is quite intriguing, and the poems do justice to this idea by capturing a single moment of heightened emotion. I feel that the title threw me off for a second, but when I realised that this was a work of poetry, I was invariably drawn to it. The title fits right in with the rest of the narrative, which is fragmented into a collection of poems, where each poem is a picture.

The poems in themselves stand out even as separate pieces, but when put together, they strengthen the entire narrative. Each poem is lyrical, and there is an abundance of usage of repetition in the poems. But the repetition in each case is deliberate and adds structure and rhythm to the rest of the poem. A shining example of this fact is the first poem “Not So Much”, the poet focuses on a certain verse by repeating it a number of times and this makes the poem more lyrical and beautiful.

The poet does not have any particular rhyme scheme that he has used over the length of these poems. He instead chooses to experiment with not just words but also sentence structures. Both rhyming and free verse poems are a part of this collection and such a variety enhances the beauty of the overall narrative.

Another interesting aspect of the poet’s art is the excessive but careful use of punctuation. The poems are not entirely fluid. They are structured into certain fragments by the usage of punctuation. It almost seems like the words are puzzle pieces that are cut into different shapes to create a coherent entity.

I feel that the author has a distinctive writing style, even though his poems may feel anachronistic at times. His poetry mirrors romantic poetry in some aspects, and that is beautiful in its own right. His poetry is not affected by the modern trends and fads and has its own unique style. I also love the poet’s experimentation with font size. Though it may seem silly at first, it enhances the meaning of the poems.

I feel that this poetry collection certainly deserves a 3 out of 4 stars. I certainly feel like this work could have been edited more extensively, but other than that, this was a wonderful read.

Picture Frames a book of Poetry
View: on Bookshelves

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Your review raises my interest in this poetry book. I'd like to see those lyrical and beautiful poems. Thorough review. Thanks.
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

As a lover of poetry this review certainly piqued my interest. The details you provide to describe the structure an impact of the poetry are well delivered, not an easy feat when it comes to poetry. I am definitely interested in reading the collection now. And not just as enjoyment but as a critic. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like the idea of poetic pictures of a person's life. I'm still not much into poetry, but I'm glad there is free verse and rhyme included. Thanks for all the pertinent information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

Your reviews tells me that this will be a very nice book and am just happy the is a free verse of it
Thank you for this nice book
milke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by milke »

Gosh, I absolutely LOVE reading poetry type books. Romance is definitely one of my favorite genres and I have to say, I will definitely be keeping my eye out on this one! Not the biggest fan of having different fonts being used, but hopefully it entices the book even more.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The poems are not entirely fluid. They are structured into certain fragments by the usage of punctuation. It almost seems like the words are puzzle pieces that are cut into different shapes to create a coherent entity.
I like this imagery. I think you are maybe a bit of a poet yourself. Your review has made me very curious to read the book, even though I do not often sit and read poetry. Nice review.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Hahahaha yes yes, I am a poet. Thank you for realizing that :D
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Nice review! Though I am not a fan of Poetry but when you said that "This poetry is not affected by the modern trends and fads and has its own unique style" that's a great book to read. Thank you!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”